PDA

View Full Version : Gas Impingement Vs. Gas Piston

Iversonj11i
23 October 2012, 20:44
As an Infantryman, the only weapon system I have ever used is the Colt M4, which operates using the gas impingement system, but I have heard that gas piston weapon systems like those made by LWRC are superior. I want to know before my first purchase, peoples opinions of what makes a better rifle system, and the drawbacks to both weapons.

Eric
23 October 2012, 23:20
The direct gas impingement system has a proven track record, is robust and lightweight. Piston systems are proprietary and their claim of superior reliability are overstated. With that said, there are some great piston systems available, but I would stick with the the standard system if picking up just a rifle or two.

TripleBravo
24 October 2012, 02:18
The direct gas impingement system has a proven track record, is robust and lightweight. Piston systems are proprietary and their claim of superior reliability are overstated. With that said, there are some great piston systems available, but I would stick with the the standard system if picking up just a rifle or two.

As a guy who owns a few piston uppers, I agree.

Downsides to piston:
1. More working parts, some of which wear out and must be put on a regular replacement schedule. More working parts = more opportunities for malfunctions.
2. Add more weight to the rifle and cause slightly more felt recoil.
3. Not compatible with all available AR accessories (like rail systems for example).

Upsides to piston:
1. Keeps fire control and receiver area clean.
2. Some have adjustment for use with a suppressor.

Downsides to DI:
1. Have to clean more often than piston driven rifles.

Upside to DI:
1. Doesn't have the downsides to piston rifle...and long history of reliability.

If I had to own only one AR and/or it was an AR my life was going to depend on, I would go DI every time. If it was going to be a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel length, I'd go with a mid-length gas system, rather than carbine length.

Curlyburns5
24 October 2012, 07:50
Well said triplebravo. Although Pat Rogers may disagree on the cleaning regimine haha.

TripleBravo
24 October 2012, 19:59
Well said triplebravo. Although Pat Rogers may disagree on the cleaning regimine haha.

He likes to keep his nice and dirty, doesn't he!;)

Iversonj11i
24 October 2012, 20:44
Ok that's what I thought. What would be a great brand to buy Noveske, Bravo Company, Knight's Armament?

TripleBravo
25 October 2012, 02:18
Ok that's what I thought. What would be a great brand to buy Noveske, Bravo Company, Knight's Armament?

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those three brands.

mlosi762
25 October 2012, 08:03

I'd go with BCM. You'll spend less coin, and still have a fantastic weapon. I couldn't be happier than with my 16" mid-length BFH upper.

FortTom
25 October 2012, 13:06
I think the only system that I would say a piston driven rifle would better serve you is a SBR. I would absolutely agree with the others, on DI's proven record, otherwise.

FT.

Jerry R
25 October 2012, 13:23
I think the "arguments" were very well stated by TripleBravo. I have both DI and Piston and would not hesitate to reach for either in a crisis. But I have been told I'm a wee bit retentive on maintenance [BD] I really try to keep things ready to go at all times.

Eric
25 October 2012, 15:44
You forgot Colt.

mlosi762
25 October 2012, 19:59
You forgot Colt.

Of course another solid choice! So is Daniel Defense, LMT, Troy, Larue, Mega, Spikes, etc... Thankfully there is no shortage of quality manufactures out there. Everyone has their favorite. If it slings lead with consistency, reliability, and accuracy, then it's all good!

Deckard
26 October 2012, 00:21
I'd get a Colt 6720 (http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COAR6720.aspx) also read this (https://www.facebook.com/notes/tacticalyellowvisornet/carts-horses/380048638680794) from Rob_S.

rob_s
26 October 2012, 02:10
. If it slings lead with consistency, reliability, and accuracy, then it's all good!

True, but some brands have a better chance of providing the above right out of the box than others.

mlosi762
26 October 2012, 04:46
True, but some brands have a better chance of providing the above right out of the box than others.

You're absolutely right

Paulo_Santos
27 October 2012, 07:08
I went with the LMT Piston MRP because I didn't know if I would like the Piston system or not. Turns outi actually like it, but if I didn't, I would just have to swap out to a DI barrel. I don't get caught up in the Piston vs DI crap anymore. They are both great systems and they both work. All the talk about proprietrary parts and all of the other cramp is fantasy zombie crap. I'm more concerned with getting a good working AR, good quality ammo, mags, BUIS, sling, weaponlight, and getting some good training with it.

rob_s
27 October 2012, 17:25
I don't get caught up in the Piston vs DI crap anymore.
Really?

All the talk about proprietrary parts and all of the other cramp is fantasy zombie crap.
It really isn't, but its interesting that it's the only response the pro-piston (aka the "I just like what I happened to buy") crowd has come up with.

If it doesn't matter TO YOU that's fine, but it is something that someone considering buying one needs to consider.

For a first time buyer the best answer is the DI. Then you get enough experience under your belt to realize you chose correctly to begin with and you can skip all that proprietary, more expensive, heavier, with no tangible benefit, piston silliness. Plus you get to save yourself having to try to justify a poor purchase made in ignorance and clinging to a bad decision because its easier than admitting you were wrong.

Paulo_Santos
28 October 2012, 06:56
Really?

It really isn't, but its interesting that it's the only response the pro-piston (aka the "I just like what I happened to buy") crowd has come up with.

If it doesn't matter TO YOU that's fine, but it is something that someone considering buying one needs to consider.

For a first time buyer the best answer is the DI. Then you get enough experience under your belt to realize you chose correctly to begin with and you can skip all that proprietary, more expensive, heavier, with no tangible benefit, piston silliness. Plus you get to save yourself having to try to justify a poor purchase made in ignorance and clinging to a bad decision because its easier than admitting you were wrong.

Yes really. When was the last time you saw me get involved in any of the DI vs Piston threads? I don't have time anymore to be online arguing over senseless crap that in the end is just a waste of time. The one thing I won't do is go around trying to convince people what to get. It is their choice. Just do your homework before you buy something.

I would prefer a reliable DI over a piece of crap piston AR and I would prefer a reliable piston AR over a piece of crap DI AR. In a SHTF situation, I'd grab my Piston AR not becuse it is a Piston, but because it is reliable and that is what I'm comfortable with.

TangoFoxtrot
6 November 2012, 02:51
Gas impingement systems are field proven, piston systems are not. Piston systems are still in the early stages yet and their is still no industry standard (every manufacturer is doing their own thing.) Everyone thinks the piston systems make the rifle cleaner....they don't! well maybe at the BCG but up front still gets dirty. Piston systems are a bit nose heavy as well.