PDA

View Full Version : Smith Vortex question

SFW
7 November 2012, 16:54
My AR came stock with a "tactical" muzzle break. The rifle shoots very accurately (1/2 MOA @ 100 yards) but is EXTREMELY loud. As in it feels like you're being hit in the ear drum with a hammer. Not really an issue at the range, but it causes issues when hog hunting- as I don't like to wear plugs when hunting. So I installed a Smith Vortex Flash Suppressor. The rifle got much quieter, but my once 1/2 MOA rifle suddenly became a 3 MOA rifle. [wow]

I noticed that there is a gap between the crown of the barrel and the Vortex. This void is collecting powder residue, and I feel that this is the main cause in my accuracy drop. Has anyone else experienced this issue? The muzzle break has open threads, so there is not an inclosed void for the powder to get trapped in. Any advice on flash hiders that would not have the same problem?

Stickman
7 November 2012, 22:45
I have never heard of that which you describe. Further, the vortex is considered helpful, and not a hindrance in accuracy regarding muzzle devices. Something is wrong.

Optimus Prime
7 November 2012, 22:57
I'd pull it off and check your threads, it almost sounds like it's not going on all the way.

todd.k
8 November 2012, 08:57
If you don't clean the muzzle face when replacing a muzzle device the new one may stop on that carbon build up, not the shoulder of the barrel.

Paulo_Santos
8 November 2012, 11:57
How does it shoot with no muzzle device?

SFW
8 November 2012, 13:44
Ok. Went to the range today. I reinstalled the Vortex to 10 FT LBS as recommended by the documentation that came with it. I shot a three round group that measured 3.026 inches. I pulled the Vortex and reinstalled the muzzle break and crush washer that came stock on the rifle, and tightened according to the specs. I fired another three round group that measured 0.175 inches. I fired several more three round groups that all measured between 0.175 and 0.213 inches. I think I'll be leaving the factory muzzle break on the rifle.

And for the record, the muzzle was cleaned before I reinstalled the Vortex, and then again after I pulled it. When I pulled the Vortex, there was heavy carbon buildup at the crown of the barrel.

skd_tactical
8 November 2012, 17:40
It really sounds like something is wrong. I have used Vortex flash hiders for years, for fun and for work. I have never heard of something like this. I truly believe that if the Vortex is threaded all the way down that you got a lemon from the factory.

SOS

SFW
8 November 2012, 18:48
It really sounds like something is wrong. I have used Vortex flash hiders for years, for fun and for work. I have never heard of something like this. I truly believe that if the Vortex is threaded all the way down that you got a lemon from the factory.

SOS

Honestly, I really believe that I got a bad Vortex. I have a shooting buddy with the same rifle and he has a Vortex on his. It shoots great. I ordered a Wilson Combat A2 Birdcage flash hider to try. We'll see if it works any better. If not, then I'll just stick to the muzzle break.

The only reason that I am interested in taking the muzzle break off is that it seriously hurts to shoot it without plugs. While still being loud with a flash hider, it doesn't feel like someone hit my ear drum with a hammer. Lol.

Stickman
8 November 2012, 20:17
One way you lose your hearing fast, the other you just lose your hearing... If you don't like plugs can you use a can in your state?

markm
9 November 2012, 05:12
Try a different flash hider. The vortex is light years behind the times, Jack.

Aragorn
9 November 2012, 07:18
You could always try your buddies vortex on your rifle. That ought to let you know if you have a lemon or not.

3 AE
9 November 2012, 08:04
Seriously, use some hearing protection, whether it's the Surefire EarPro plugs or the electronic earmuff type.

zero7one
9 November 2012, 09:44
Seriously, use some hearing protection, whether it's the Surefire EarPro plugs or the electronic earmuff type.

Agreed 100%...use some electronic hearing pro. Not only will you save your ears, but with the right ear pro, you can actually have enhanced hearing with the magnification of normal noises.

SFW
9 November 2012, 16:02
Cool. I've been looking at ear protection since I discovered the muzzle break is so much more accurate.

nobodyspecial
9 November 2012, 20:05
I agree. After two tours in Iraq, I want to keep what little hearing ability I have left. Now, whenever I am shooting, hunting or working, I am wearing my Supreme Pro Xs.

With them turned up, I like hearing things that people don't think I can hear. ;)

Smac61
21 February 2013, 18:44
Kind of late to the party here, but concerned. After much research, I ordered a Vortex as it was considered one of the better ones for accuracy. Hope the OP's experience was an anomaly as the Vortex is currently in transit...

Vern1968
23 February 2013, 19:01
Try a different flash hider. The vortex is light years behind the times, Jack.
When you need to use your rifle when it truly matters, nearly 100% flash reduction is a far from"behind the times". When I need to shoot toward the "enemy", I don't wish to be seen. Competition shooting, comps and brakes are cool. This is at the end of my rifle currently. As soon as you are able to screw on a can, it's lights out for the competition.