PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an AImpoint T1 lower third mount

dirksterg30
16 November 2012, 07:13
Looking to get an Aimpoint T1 for my DD M4V3. I want a lower-third co-witness, and I also prefer a QD mount. Any recommendations?

Quiet-Matt
16 November 2012, 10:38
Larue gets my vote. I have one and its been rock solid.

MoxyDave
16 November 2012, 12:16
I have the Larue and ADM (American Defense). Both work well, but in the future I would not buy another Larue. The Larue cams against the rail and if you remove/reinstall your optic fairly often it will mar your receiver. It works great and is very reliable, but since I move my optics around periodically I prefer mounts like the ADM which are more gentle on the receiver. It's a minor complaint but if you haven't already bought one it's something to think about.

zero7one
16 November 2012, 19:27
Though not a QD mount, check out the Seekins Precision Aimpoint Micro T1 Mount

Seekins Precision’s AimpointŪ Micro Mount (Tall) is designed to work in conjunction with Aimpoint’s popular Micro T-1 optics, this mount is designed to attach to your flat top upper receiver. Its lightweight, low-profile, reversible mounting option for shooters that do not require or desire a quick attach/detach mount. Offering a lower 1⁄3rd co-witness with your back up iron sights, this mount is ideal for shooters who are looking for the lightest mount to accent their AimpointŪ Micro.

- 1.7 Ounces!
- Made in the USA!

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3230

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/d9ffeb34f9162238b1c0aa99905ca95a.jpg

Eric
17 November 2012, 14:49
I only have one T1 and it rides in an ADM, which has worked great. I can't comment on the Larue.

rob_s
17 November 2012, 19:23
DD mount for DD rifle. Seems like a no-brainer. And you avoid all that QD silliness.

browcs
17 November 2012, 20:50
I only have Larues which have worked well for me. Very solid mount. Never really needed the QR feature to be honest since I don't move the optic/mount around to other weapons or have had the need to scoot it around on my upper to accommodate the placement of other accessories.

Specialized Armament
18 November 2012, 09:16
DD mount for DD rifle. Seems like a no-brainer. And you avoid all that QD silliness.

Bingo...

Paulo_Santos
18 November 2012, 14:33

Please stick to the topic. The OP asked for a QD mount that offered a lower 1/3 co-witness, not our opinions on QD vs Fixed.

Paulo_Santos
18 November 2012, 14:34
Bobro, ADM, and Larue all work.

rob_s
19 November 2012, 03:05
Please stick to the topic. The OP asked for a QD mount that offered a lower 1/3 co-witness, not our opinions on QD vs Fixed.

It is the topic, even if you don't like the way I conveyed it.

You may office that one of your own staff also recommended a non-QD mount.

Though not a QD mount, check out the Seekins Precision Aimpoint Micro T1 Mount

QD adds failure points, weight and cost to the system in exchange for a functionality that most will never use, and when they do will put too much faith in. In most cases people ask for QD because they think its what they are supposed to have or because they have plans for it that never really work out the way they thought it would, and haven't really thought the whole thing through logically.

Paulo_Santos
19 November 2012, 09:13

QD adds failure points, weight and cost to the system in exchange for a functionality that most will never use, and when they do will put too much faith in. In most cases people ask for QD because they think its what they are supposed to have or because they have plans for it that never really work out the way they thought it would, and haven't really thought the whole thing through logically.

That's wonderful. There are a ton of products out there that most people don't need, but they still want and get.

And by the way, the other staff member threw it out there as a suggestion and indicated that it wasn't a QD mount, whereas you posted how silly QD mounts are, which is not what this topic is about.

FYI: I am in no way trying to be an a$$, I just don't want these threads to turn into some back and forth internut mudslinging contest. Someone asks a question and we answer it with the info they request. Let them sort out the info for themselves.

dirksterg30
20 November 2012, 10:45

Rob, are you aware of any failures of the QD systems?

My reason for wanting a QD system is to easily remove the optic if it is damaged in some way (unlikely, I know), or unusable due to environment (rain etc, again, unlikely.) Having said that, I am not dead-set on a QD mount. I do like the flexibilty, though. I appreciate your input and everyone else's in this thread.

Paulo_Santos
20 November 2012, 12:49
Rob, are you aware of any failures of the QD systems?

My reason for wanting a QD system is to easily remove the optic if it is damaged in some way (unlikely, I know), or unusable due to environment (rain etc, again, unlikely.) Having said that, I am not dead-set on a QD mount. I do like the flexibilty, though. I appreciate your input and everyone else's in this thread.

Most of the top QD Systems have a lock in it so they are as 100% as they can be, but nothing is 100%.

The selling point of the QD mounts is that if you remove them from your upper, you can put it back in the same spot and it will retain it's zero (+/- 1/2 MOA). The other advantage is if you plan on getting multiple optics for the same rifle where you can get multiple optics in QD mounts and swap them out depending on your mission.

I always tell people when selecting their gear to learn the advantages and disadvantages of each system and pick what is best for YOUR NEEDS and no one else's.

Also, if you still didn't buy the T-1, shop around for optic/mount combos and save some money.

KevinBLC
25 November 2012, 16:21
Does anyone actually take off their optics? Other than cleaning is there a real need to take off the optic? Searching for my first optic, and interested to know if QD functions are necessary.

Paulo_Santos
25 November 2012, 16:24
Does anyone actually take off their optics? Other than cleaning is there a real need to take off the optic? Searching for my first optic, and interested to know if QD functions are necessary.

If you don't plan on taking the optic off, you don't need a QD mount. If uou plan on getting multiple optics for the same AR, then a QD mount is pretty much a must have unless you plan on re-zeroing your AR every time you switch optics.

csmith
25 November 2012, 16:58
Removing the optic every time you clean your weapon is extreme overkill.

Paulo_Santos
25 November 2012, 17:20
Removing the optic every time you clean your weapon is extreme overkill.

I agree. I don't remember the last time I did that.