PDA

View Full Version : Large Fixed Blade Knife advice, please...

Creeky73
18 November 2012, 11:33
So I am in the market for the stated subject matter, to add to the old BOB setup. Some of the ones I have been looking at are the Ontario RTAK II or the Gen 2 SP50-51's, with a slight nod going to the SP's because of the thicker blade. Also in consideration is the Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri and the ESEE Junglas, although the price of either of those is a bit intimidating. However, I would not be opposed if I thought I was going to get the additional value out of that money, I just don't want to pay for a fanboy name brand.

As always, any help or advice is appreciated :)

mlosi762
18 November 2012, 18:32
I've had good experiences with several knives made by Ontario. They're solid quality without the pull-pants-down price. I also have an old (70's era production) USAF survival knife that my dad was issued at SERE school back in the day, it's made by Camillus* it's old and worn, but keeps an edge. I believe they haven't changed the design nor the manufacturing process since.

Jack Kardic
19 November 2012, 03:07
My friend just got a Ka-Bar kukri as a present and loves the hell out of it. The handle is G10 and feels very solid in the hand. It's well textured, enough for good grip but not so much that it's hard on bare hands. We were colelcting firewood with it and taking 2" pine branches with 2 solid blows with out-of-box sharpness. I know it's not on your list, but I was very impressed with it, and the price is pretty fair, his girlfriend told me she found it for $65 at a local outfitter.

Stickman
19 November 2012, 19:37
Consider looking at a real Kukri, I've had mine for a couple decades and it is still great. Prices are cheaper, and they are great work horses.

Creeky73
21 November 2012, 16:56
Stick, that would be a great option except for the sheath. I am looking for something that will be easily attachable to molle right out of the box. Of course, for the money savings on a real kukri, I could have a buddy who works leather just make me one, but he takes a loooong time to do that kind of work. I have to admit that, from all the info and vids I am finding online (I know, I know, take that for what its worth) I am leaning towards the ESEE Junglas. It is the most expensive of my original group, but it also has a sheath that poo's on all the others, so there may be more value there. Anyone got some real experience with this or other Randall/ESEE products?

Cosmoline
16 April 2013, 13:35
I know this thread is old, but you may want to look at a Chris Reeves Pacific

louie
16 April 2013, 13:55
Check out Swamp Rat Knife Works.
Modestly priced straight-edged blades.

Creeky73
16 April 2013, 15:13
I already got the Junglas since I started this thread...and a couple of other ESEE products, for that matter. Good stuff....not cheap, but good.

Stickman
17 April 2013, 11:49
I already got the Junglas since I started this thread...and a couple of other ESEE products, for that matter. Good stuff....not cheap, but good.

Pictures man pictures!!