PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Boron advice

KevinBLC
18 November 2012, 16:43
Seems like a lot of manufacturers are using Nickel Boron coated parts. Is anyone using these extensively? What are the pro's and con's. They seem like a lot of money for say a BCG vs a regular mil-spec one.

Is it necessary to coat things like the entire upper, gas tube, hammer, ect?

Aragorn
18 November 2012, 18:29
I've used NiB parts for a few years now. A Failzero bcg as well as the Spike's and a NiB trigger group. They are nice. The action stays slick as it gets dirty, cleans up by wiping it down with a rag, and the trigger is smooth compared to a standard G.I.

The con for the bcg is that really, there isn't much net gain in performance or feel if you run a good lube like Slip2000 or Froglube.
As for the fire control group, it is a nice cheap alternative for a better trigger than a standard G.I.

If you go that route, same rules apply as with everything else, buy from a good manufacturer.

zero7one
18 November 2012, 20:41
I have run a few thousand rounds through a Spikes NiB BCG and have only cleaned it twice. I have never had a failure due to the BCG. I will definately buy another NiB BCG. I also have the ALG Defense ACT, which for the price is a great trigger.

KevinBLC
19 November 2012, 18:35
So other than the easy cleaning, why go Nickel Boron vs. say, Chrome plating? I hear both are easy to clean. And the ALG Defense ACT, is that coated? I'm not familiar with those.

Stickman
19 November 2012, 19:19
Kevin- The way I look at it is that both are ways to achieve similar results, but with different technology. Hydrogen embrittlement is one of the concerns with chrome, and a chrome finish which is not applied properly is much more prone to failure of the material. My understanding is that the newer coatings are easier to apply, and offer the benefit of having a lubricious surface. I can't say that I run my finished carriers dry anymore, and I can't say that I've ever had a problem with a GOOD chrome application (like Colt or YounfgMFG).

A dry coated carrier doesn't feel "right" to me. When you charge your weapon, and feel it is smooth, it gives you a feeling of confidence in the platform. When you charge it and it is dry, catchy and not smooth at all, it inspires no confidence. A dry carrier doesn't feel anything other than dry to me, even with coatings and treatments. I've shot them dry, but a little oil just feels much much smother.

Specialized Armament
20 November 2012, 04:59
Kevin- The way I look at it is that both are ways to achieve similar results, but with different technology. Hydrogen embrittlement is one of the concerns with chrome, and a chrome finish which is not applied properly is much more prone to failure of the material. My understanding is that the newer coatings are easier to apply, and offer the benefit of having a lubricious surface. I can't say that I run my finished carriers dry anymore, and I can't say that I've ever had a problem with a GOOD chrome application (like Colt or YounfgMFG).

A dry coated carrier doesn't feel "right" to me. When you charge your weapon, and feel it is smooth, it gives you a feeling of confidence in the platform. When you charge it and it is dry, catchy and not smooth at all, it inspires no confidence. A dry carrier doesn't feel anything other than dry to me, even with coatings and treatments. I've shot them dry, but a little oil just feels much much smother.

Stick - Did you mean to say NiB instead of chrome?

KevinBLC
20 November 2012, 11:57
So is the consensous Nickel Boron is better than Chrome plated?

John Hwang
20 November 2012, 12:13
NiB coatings has been around for over 60 years, even though it's new to the AR15 platform. It provides a little slicker surface than standard milspec phosphate coatings. The downside is flaking over an extended period of time. Most feel the upside is much greater than any downside but it's all personal preference.

There are some newer coatings that race teams use in pistons and such that are coming into the AR15 market. It should be interesting to see how everything pans out for 2013.