PDA

View Full Version : What prevents YOU from joining or logging in?

UWone77
20 November 2012, 11:44
This is posted in the AR15 section temporarily for most exposure.

I had a conversation with Stick the other night, and we were wondering the same thing. As of right now, there are 11 members signed in and 100 guests browsing Weapon Evolution.

The question is, are the 100 guests members that simply didn't sign in, or lurkers? If you're a lurker, you obviously can't respond to this post, but maybe our previous lurkers can answer the question. What made you signup or not sign up immediately? Is there something the admins could do to make it easier on you? Was it a hassle or are we all just too lazy to sign in? [:D]

We'd love to see more people signed in and getting their valuable input on topics and discussion. When I first joined this board, I found it more newbie friendly than most. Perhaps the newer members into AR's just like to read instead of post?

dirksterg30
20 November 2012, 11:56
I know this isn't exactly what you are asking, but - I joined last year, but I was occupied with a family health issue that kept me from participating much. Now that I have more time, I am able to log in and read more. I have much to learn when it comes to ARs & weaponry in general, so I read a lot more than I post.

UWone77
20 November 2012, 11:58
Thanks for responding Dirk, I guess my question is, why we have so many lurkers visiting vs. logged in members.

dirksterg30
20 November 2012, 12:03
I would imagine that ratio is the norm for any internet forum. I will say that there were occasions when I was browsing this forum and didn't realize that I wasn't logged in.

MoxyDave
20 November 2012, 12:13
Generally from the forums I've hosted and things I've seen on the 'net, 10% or less of people contribute while the rest just watch. This is not a slam, I'm not trying to be negative. This is just from my own experience. I think more people are contributing now as the web matures and it becomes easier for people to contribute, but there will always be a much larger percentage of lurkers than contributors. I think this is basic human nature.

Also when I'm cruising the web on a mobile device (iPad, iPhone, etc.) I don't speak up as much as when I'm home at my computer. The proliferation of mobile devices might add to this phenomenon ...

Just my $.02.

csmith
20 November 2012, 13:52
I lurked here for quite a while to get a feel for the atmosphere. I was looking for a laid back site where not everyone with 25% of a clue considered themselves a SME (which is what I gathered by lurking at AR15.com), but where people new to the AR platform/weapons in general with questions weren't constantly chastised for not using the search feature, having low post counts or asking the basic questions (a la what I gathered from M4carbine.net). My opinion of what I saw at the other sites is just that, my opinion, but it was a real turn off. I was a little leary when you guys had that giveaway a while back and the membership here doubled. I was concerned this site would become like those overnight. So far, so good.

I've also noticed this site has the fastest "log out due to inactivity" time I believe I've ever seen. A handful of the lurkers may have just been reading too long without refreshing. [:)]

Paulo_Santos
20 November 2012, 14:26
For the longest time, WEVO primarily was just a resource place and not known as a regular discussion forum like the others. Now that we've recently opened it up for some more discussions like on other forums, it is just going to take some time for people to realize that they can post here. Not to mention that people know that we won't tolerate the crap that goes on elsewhere.

UWone77
20 November 2012, 14:28
csmith, thanks for the input, and I agree, the log out due to inactivity time is ridiculous, but you can check the box that keeps you logged in. I think gunboards just by their nature invites self appointed SME's, but we don't seem to have that problem here so far.

I'm on several boards where it's the opposite. There are many people that are logged in, but just a few visitors. I also keep myself logged in there are some boards, you have to be logged in to see pictures, videos, ect.

Deckard
20 November 2012, 14:43
I don't see that check box anymore so I don't bother logging in. I try not to post because there are more qualified people with way more experience and information here to reply.

UWone77
20 November 2012, 14:47
I don't see that check box anymore so I don't bother logging in. I try not to post because there are more qualified people with way more experience and information here to reply.

You don't see the "remember me" box below the log in?

Deckard
20 November 2012, 14:53
When the page is loading I can see it but when the WEVO banner loads up it disappears. I think it might be behind the banner. Might just be my computer.

Image (http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/9389/asdfaasfd.jpg)

Stickman
21 November 2012, 00:05
When the page is loading I can see it but when the WEVO banner loads up it disappears. I think it might be behind the banner. Might just be my computer.

Image (http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/9389/asdfaasfd.jpg)

It does it with my computer as well, it drives me crazy sometimes.

Tango six
21 November 2012, 05:24
Long time lucker just called out on it. Felt I had nothing of value to share but Id check out what's new daily. I bought my first AR and then built another this past year using many post on the site. Thanks guys awesome site. I'll log in from now on.

ronster19
21 November 2012, 05:54
I lurked here for quite a while to get a feel for the atmosphere. I was looking for a laid back site where not everyone with 25% of a clue considered themselves a SME (which is what I gathered by lurking at AR15.com), but where people new to the AR platform/weapons in general with questions weren't constantly chastised for not using the search feature, having low post counts or asking the basic questions (a la what I gathered from M4carbine.net). My opinion of what I saw at the other sites is just that, my opinion, but it was a real turn off. I was a little leary when you guys had that giveaway a while back and the membership here doubled. I was concerned this site would become like those overnight. So far, so good.

I've also noticed this site has the fastest "log out due to inactivity" time I believe I've ever seen. A handful of the lurkers may have just been reading too long without refreshing. [:)]

+1

UWone77
21 November 2012, 06:39
Long time lucker just called out on it. Felt I had nothing of value to share but Id check out what's new daily. I bought my first AR and then built another this past year using many post on the site. Thanks guys awesome site. I'll log in from now on.

LOL... we weren't looking to call out anyone. Just wanted an idea of what made you register vs. lurking. Welcome aboard.

ROK
21 November 2012, 07:17
I just picked up my first 6920 and am researching how to keep it /me happy/safe.

Lots of reading here without the drama.

Thanks!

skd_tactical
21 November 2012, 07:48
I know I accidentally lurk all the time. I use firefox and Chrome depending on if it is a work or home computer and WEVO always kicks/logs me out. I never realize this until I try to post.

I also don't post as much here since I rep a company and don't want to feel like I'm shoving SKD down someone's throat. Plus I'm more of a gear guy, and I find WEVO is very technical - more my Boss's expertise. I come here at least 3 times a day but only post maybe once a week or so.

SOS

KevinBLC
21 November 2012, 09:29
I lurked, then joined after I finally had some questions.

Creeky73
21 November 2012, 16:38
If I may make an observation here...it seems as if the postings at this site have slowed down quite a bit from a couple of years ago. You used to be able to log on every day and have quite a bit of new info to pilfer through, and that just doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I have often wondered if a lot of the old regulars found a new home to frequent and share their information. I have no idea if this is related to the OP's point, but things definitely seem...different around here. Which is a big bummer for me, because I basically refuse to go to the other AR forums, always figuring that this website's info was easily the most trustworthy you will find. I may be a noob and a greenhorn when it comes to AR's but at least I know enough not to listen to other noob's advice :)

zero7one
21 November 2012, 22:12
What does everyone want to see? More reviews, more how to guides, etc? Let us know what you want.

Sent via Tapatalk

Tango six
22 November 2012, 07:28
Reviews are always appreciated im getting excited for new shot show info about another month or so.

UWone77
22 November 2012, 09:08
Thanks for the input gents. If you guys have other site suggestions, those are always appreciated as well.

drew
22 November 2012, 12:29
I know personally I lurked because i was absorbing as much info as i could and had nothing to contribute at first, but what ultimately drove me to register here, over all the other sites, was the good, knowledgeable and helpful attitudes of the members and staff, as well as the excellent reviews and how to guides.

rudydecc
22 November 2012, 12:48
What does everyone want to see? More reviews, more how to guides, etc? Let us know what you want.

Sent via Tapatalk

I'll echo what a lot of other people have asked for, reviews and comparisons of equipment. I'll be damned if I spend $8 on a black and white magazine that is about as informative as the back of a shampoo bottle. With a limited funds, trying this budget thing, I'd like to have a users perspective on how something actually works.

gatordev
24 November 2012, 09:59
Is the site looking for reviews from normal users? I ask because I'm a "recreational user," not an "industry professional" (at least when it comes to rifles and hanguns) or whatever guys like to call themselves. I don't go through nearly the rounds that many seem to on some of these forums, but over the last few years, I've found little things that have and haven't worked for me while competing locally and/or taking a class or two. My thoughts aren't probably worth much, just what I've experienced.

UWone77
24 November 2012, 12:03
Is the site looking for reviews from normal users? I ask because I'm a "recreational user," not an "industry professional" (at least when it comes to rifles and hanguns) or whatever guys like to call themselves. I don't go through nearly the rounds that many seem to on some of these forums, but over the last few years, I've found little things that have and haven't worked for me while competing locally and/or taking a class or two. My thoughts aren't probably worth much, just what I've experienced.

We have a member submitted review area. Feel free to write up reviews as you see fit. We welcome both industry professionals and recreational users. Many times, recreational users turn into high round count shooters.

FortTom
24 November 2012, 13:55
I was lurking here for quite a while, because frankly, some AR related sites are full of some of the most arrogant, almost childlike members I've seen on any type of forum. I found this not to be true here, in fact, mostly, just the opposite.
One recurring issue, that I've seen over the years is that the "newb" is assumed to be stupid, a "real newb", and if said "newb" posts anything contrary to the "established" members inner circle's, opinion, they will be verbally sliced and diced and quickly relegated to their appropriate place. I've seen this on gun forums, photography forums, Harley forums....even on backpacking forums. Time as a member or post count creates a clique, or several, of members "in the know", and any FNG has little or no worth, due to the preconceived notion that being said FNG, has never held a weapon in his/her life.

I'll happily concede that I am not the world's foremost expert on the subject of the M4 platform, but I shot my first M 16, in basic training, Dec 1975 and still putting rounds down range as often as possible. 1911 also. I'm still learning, as the platform is evolving and changing, with new innovations and technology emerging almost daily. My skills with firearms have hit their peak, and at my age, I can tell that accuracy/reflex/vision/steadiness are eroding a bit at a time. But I truly despise being "slapped" by some snot nosed kid with his first store bought Bushmaster and feeling that all knowledge of the subject has been bestowed upon him/her upon the moment the sale was completed. I also despise being told to do a search. I understand the forums don't need redundant infomation clogging it's arteries, and that the search feature is there for a reason,
but people just assume you didn't bother with a search. Turns out that at times, I just can't come up with the right search terms to begin with and come up empty handed.

So, I think that I may have explained why I joined, and quit lurking, here, more than I explained why I lurk, that pretty much sums it up. On some of the so-called "huge" AR forums, it's a daily bloodbath of sniping and flaming one another, and to tell the truth, at my age I'm just don't have the patience for that crap anymore, so I just float around as a guest to see "what's new", or search for somehing that I need to know that I can't find locally.

This forum just stuck out as a more content orientated forum, than a place for "wannabe warriors" chest thumping and beating the drums. I found it to be above the fray, professional, and friendly, for the most part, to new members. I understand why the forum owner/admin want's more participation, but on the downside, I think massive participation would just dilute this forum into one of the same, lame, argumentative sites that already exists. I guess it's a double edged sword for the owners.

It's also why you won't find me on the "other forums". And I sometimes wonder if the courteousness of the folks on this forum is the reason that those who love to scream, yell and so forth, over the most trivial of things, might not find this forum appealing.

I may be totally wrong, but I'm being honest, as to my observation(s).

FT[pop]

zero7one
24 November 2012, 17:58
I was lurking here for quite a while, because frankly, some AR related sites are full of some of the most arrogant, almost childlike members I've seen on any type of forum. I found this not to be true here, in fact, mostly, just the opposite.
One recurring issue, that I've seen over the years is that the "newb" is assumed to be stupid, a "real newb", and if said "newb" posts anything contrary to the "established" members inner circle's, opinion, they will be verbally sliced and diced and quickly relegated to their appropriate place. I've seen this on gun forums, photography forums, Harley forums....even on backpacking forums. Time as a member or post count creates a clique, or several, of members "in the know", and any FNG has little or no worth, due to the preconceived notion that being said FNG, has never held a weapon in his/her life.

I'll happily concede that I am not the world's foremost expert on the subject of the M4 platform, but I shot my first M 16, in basic training, Dec 1975 and still putting rounds down range as often as possible. 1911 also. I'm still learning, as the platform is evolving and changing, with new innovations and technology emerging almost daily. My skills with firearms have hit their peak, and at my age, I can tell that accuracy/reflex/vision/steadiness are eroding a bit at a time. But I truly despise being "slapped" by some snot nosed kid with his first store bought Bushmaster and feeling that all knowledge of the subject has been bestowed upon him/her upon the moment the sale was completed. I also despise being told to do a search. I understand the forums don't need redundant infomation clogging it's arteries, and that the search feature is there for a reason,
but people just assume you didn't bother with a search. Turns out that at times, I just can't come up with the right search terms to begin with and come up empty handed.

So, I think that I may have explained why I joined, and quit lurking, here, more than I explained why I lurk, that pretty much sums it up. On some of the so-called "huge" AR forums, it's a daily bloodbath of sniping and flaming one another, and to tell the truth, at my age I'm just don't have the patience for that crap anymore, so I just float around as a guest to see "what's new", or search for somehing that I need to know that I can't find locally.

This forum just stuck out as a more content orientated forum, than a place for "wannabe warriors" chest thumping and beating the drums. I found it to be above the fray, professional, and friendly, for the most part, to new members. I understand why the forum owner/admin want's more participation, but on the downside, I think massive participation would just dilute this forum into one of the same, lame, argumentative sites that already exists. I guess it's a double edged sword for the owners.

It's also why you won't find me on the "other forums". And I sometimes wonder if the courteousness of the folks on this forum is the reason that those who love to scream, yell and so forth, over the most trivial of things, might not find this forum appealing.

FT[pop]

FT - Thanks for your input. I completely agree with what you had to say and appreciate how you look at WEVO. As for being a newb, FNG, or seasoned veteran...as long you are productive and can add to the conversations, it doesn't really matter how much time you have on the gun. If you know, you know. If you don't, you don't. Egos should be checked at the door. I only have 14 years behind a M16/M4/AR15 platform, am a Handgun/Patrol Rifle Instructor, and Certified Armorer. There is still A LOT that I do not know and I am constantly learning. I try to learn from everyone I can and continue to build my own self knowledge. I appreciate everyone who contributes positively to this forum, which only helps me and others grow in a positive manner. Again, thank you FT and everyone else for your replies.

Paulo_Santos
25 November 2012, 05:28

FT[pop]

FT, I completely agree with you about the post count. It is one of the most overrated things on forums. I'm more concerned with your actual knowledge and how you carry yourself. I'd rather get some help from a new guy that has real knowledge over some seasoned forum veteran who just regurgitates things he reads about online.

FortTom
25 November 2012, 13:51
FT, I completely agree with you about the post count. It is one of the most overrated things on forums. I'm more concerned with your actual knowledge and how you carry yourself. I'd rather get some help from a new guy that has real knowledge over some seasoned forum veteran who just regurgitates things he reads about online.

This may be one of the most true statements, concerning forums, and the "psychology of forum members", and problems within various types of forums, that I've ever read.......you can't believe how many times I've heard (paraphrasing here) "How dare you come on here with 9 posts and question my (fill in the blank).....I've been a member here since..(fill in the blank)..... on the humorous side of this, I belong to a few backpacking forums. We get all types in them, but there's always a large contingency of over zealous "flower children" on them.. All of that "peace, love, tanquility and becoming one with the universe goes out the door, quickly, if a "newb" dares questions one's opinion on a matter, or piece of gear or whatever....can actually be hilarious, and it's difficult not to play devil's advocate, just to see whay they will turn into next...they can go from " zen like, water saving non-bathing hippie, to cut your freaking head off and puke down your neck, NAVY S.E.A.L personality real quick...but back to your statement...very true indeed.

P.S. No offense implied comparing non-bathing hippies to S.E.A.L's, in case any of you are out there.....[BD]

FT

Paulo_Santos
25 November 2012, 14:04
This may be one of the most true statements, concerning forums, and the "psychology of forum members", and problems within various types of forums, that I've ever read.......you can't believe how many times I've heard (paraphrasing here) "How dare you come on here with 9 posts and question my (fill in the blank).....I've been a member here since..(fill in the blank)..... on the humorous side of this, I belong to a few backpacking forums. We get all types in them, but there's always a large contingency of over zealous "flower children" on them.. All of that "peace, love, tanquility and becoming one with the universe goes out the door, quickly, if a "newb" dares questions one's opinion on a matter, or piece of gear or whatever....can actually be hilarious, and it's difficult not to play devil's advocate, just to see whay they will turn into next...they can go from " zen like, water saving non-bathing hippie, to cut your freaking head off and puke down your neck, NAVY S.E.A.L personality real quick...but back to your statement...very true indeed.

P.S. No offense implied comparing non-bathing hippies to S.E.A.L's, in case any of you are out there.....[BD]

FT

LOL. I'll keep that in mind if I ever join a backpacking forum.

markm
30 November 2012, 10:27
The Hundredish "Guests" are ATF agents. That's all!

P39
30 November 2012, 12:57

Wonderful.

UWone77
30 November 2012, 13:09

Mark, may you be banished to shoot 300 Blackout with an LWRC gun with a red dot optic for the rest of your life :D

chrisstophere
30 November 2012, 20:18
I guess I'll use this opportunity to jump in and say hi.

I also lurked as a non-registered guest for a bit, just reading posts and trying to learn before I jumped into the AR world. I was initially drawn here somehow from stickman's incredible photos. After reading a few posts, this place became a favorite. I just never had anything to contribute. I'm hoping to get a chance to be a bit more active as I have just purchased my first lower.

Nice to meet you all.

OD45
1 December 2012, 07:26
This is actually my first post and the first time I have found the site. I was looking for a review of the Tactical Tailor Extended Range Operator Pack and stumbled in here. Great layout, great information from what I have seen so far and Stickman is here. Who doesn't want to see those pictures? I am sure I will be back often and I will make sure I sign in. :)

Paulo_Santos
1 December 2012, 08:17
Mark, may you be banished to shoot a LWRC 6.8 SPC with a red dot optic for the rest of your life :D

Fixed it for you. LOL.

Paulo_Santos
1 December 2012, 08:18
Mark, may you be banished to shoot a LWRC 6.8 SPC with a red dot optic for the rest of your life :D

Fixed it for you. LOL.

markm
3 December 2012, 08:56
Fixed it for you. LOL.

Actually he NAILED it the first time. 300 USELESS is much more repulsive to me. :)

Paulo_Santos
3 December 2012, 10:41
Actually he NAILED it the first time. 300 USELESS is much more repulsive to me. :)

Damn, just when I thought I knew you. LOL.

river
3 December 2012, 11:41
I lurked for some time before becoming a member. I still tend to log in and look around because my contribution level is low. Why pollute?
One of the things which has always kept me from posting in other forums, especially other AR platform forums, is the high ratio of being slammed for trying to gather information or just trying to learn. I have since quit those forums.
I am looking for more of a laid back forum where members respect members. It exists. I am part of another forum (knife) which has a really good atmosphere and knowledge is freely dispensed. I feel very comfortable there asking anyone sincere questions.
BTW I go by the same moniker in every forum if I can help it. AR15 was one I could not go by "river".

pmedic920
6 December 2012, 13:56
I have joined this and some of the other forums recently, I use the same name on all forums that I join. I've been shooting for many years however I am new to the M4/AR16 platform. I lurked for a long time while saving up my pennies to by my first. I read almost everything on the main/big forums. Put 2 and 2 together, subtracted the BS, and bought what I think was the best for my needs and budget. I guess the main reason I don't always log on is, that I don't think I have much to contribute. I would like to log on and just start a conversation at times but most of the time if I search my topic, it's already been covered. Not here but I've been scolded for bumping old threads and that's no fun. There is a wealth of info on here and the others, but I wish the forums were my open/friendly to just discussion, even if it may have been talked about before. And I'm not talking about "what color buttstock should I buy". Anyway thanks for asking for our input.

Protect the 2nd amendment with VIGOR !!!!

Paulo_Santos
6 December 2012, 14:21
Don't worry, you won't get scolded here. We've talked about having a General Discussion Section, but we are afraid of what it may turn in to.

csmith
6 December 2012, 17:22
We've talked about having a General Discussion Section, but we are afraid of what it may turn in to.

Wise move.

csmith
6 December 2012, 17:25
I have joined this and some of the other forums recently, I use the same name on all forums that I join. I've been shooting for many years however I am new to the M4/AR16 platform. I lurked for a long time while saving up my pennies to by my first. I read almost everything on the main/big forums. Put 2 and 2 together, subtracted the BS, and bought what I think was the best for my needs and budget. I guess the main reason I don't always log on is, that I don't think I have much to contribute. I would like to log on and just start a conversation at times but most of the time if I search my topic, it's already been covered. Not here but I've been scolded for bumping old threads and that's no fun. There is a wealth of info on here and the others, but I wish the forums were my open/friendly to just discussion, even if it may have been talked about before. And I'm not talking about "what color buttstock should I buy". Anyway thanks for asking for our input.

Protect the 2nd amendment with VIGOR !!!!

My first post in this thread basically touched on all of your same points. The difference is on this forum you can ask those questions and bump old threads, and won't get talked to like a dog because you didn't use that infamous search function to find a thread even though you don't know what you're searching for in the first place. This is definately the place to be, just don't make random, off the wall posts about knives. [BD]

ETA: To whoever changed the "Remember Me" button to automatically be selected, thank you.

Eric
6 December 2012, 19:02
Thanks for all the replies so far folks. We try to maintain a reasonable balance here which gives members the opportunity to post questions without getting all spun up if the same questions have previously been addressed or might even sound silly to someone with a broader knowledge base.

Tzed250
7 December 2012, 18:42
Hello, I lurked for about five minutes before I joined. I am getting my ducks in a row to make my first AR happen. I like to interact on forums with others so I figured I should go ahead and join. Looking forward to it!

P39
7 December 2012, 19:13
Hello, I lurked for about five minutes before I joined. I am getting my ducks in a row to make my first AR happen. I like to interact on forums with others so I figured I should go ahead and join. Looking forward to it!

Very cool. You planning to build one or are you going to buy one?

FortTom
7 December 2012, 19:14
Hey, there's a lot of talent on this forum. A great place for anyone of any skill level....
FT

Tzed250
7 December 2012, 19:35
Very cool. You planning to build one or are you going to buy one?

I have my eye on the SIG M400 SRP. I know it isn't a top tier piece, but it seems to be liked well enough. I keep bumping myself though. I want an M4 Carbine clone, and an AR spacegun chambered in .224AR. Part of the fun of all of this is learning and talking with like minded folks about this passion. I am a total sponge right now, and hearing from folks that have been there and done that makes the learning curve less steep.

Gun
11 December 2012, 05:59
Time! Then sometimes I'll sit in one forum for a few weeks and forget the other forums.

P39
12 December 2012, 14:04
I have my eye on the SIG M400 SRP. I know it isn't a top tier piece, but it seems to be liked well enough. I keep bumping myself though. I want an M4 Carbine clone, and an AR spacegun chambered in .224AR. Part of the fun of all of this is learning and talking with like minded folks about this passion. I am a total sponge right now, and hearing from folks that have been there and done that makes the learning curve less steep.

That's why I joined the form.

skymark
13 December 2012, 07:06
Well, I'm one of those guys that this thread pertains to. I joined last March and just posted a quick hello. I purchased my current AR, a Sig M400, after researching it elsewhere,and also from the fine report of one this sites members. Just work and time in general keeps me more of a lurker than a poster. Now that things have slowed down a bit in my life, I will try to post more and contribute if I can.

KevinBLC
13 December 2012, 15:13
Well, I'm one of those guys that this thread pertains to. I joined last March and just posted a quick hello. I purchased my current AR, a Sig M400, after researching it elsewhere,and also from the fine report of one this sites members. Just work and time in general keeps me more of a lurker than a poster. Now that things have slowed down a bit in my life, I will try to post more and contribute if I can.

You should do a review on the Sig, I was looking at those, but haven't seen any good reviews recently on them.

RiverRat
13 December 2012, 18:36
As a very recent member of the community, I might be able to offer a perspective.

When I started lurking, I was simply gathering information, learning about the weapons system and starting to develop more informed opinions. People in similar positions generally don't feel that they would make valuable contributions and/or are shy about asking questions, so there is no need to be a formal member of the site.

It's only when a person feels that they might be able to offer something useful that registration is required - until which both the ease of unregistered access and the anonymity are both POSITIVE aspects of lurking. That's still good, eh? We (I'll include myself here) are still checking out the site and getting good, no-nonsense information - which should be the goal of the contributors anyway.

So yes, the site is far more newbie-friendly than others. But without needing a voice, web surfers will lurk by default.

Keep up the good work - it's an "if you built it, they will come (eventually)" situation.
Rat.

skymark
13 December 2012, 18:40
You should do a review on the Sig, I was looking at those, but haven't seen any good reviews recently on them.
RowlandP on this site has a good review and great pics, one of the reasons I picked it. Between my son, son in law, and myself we have around 3000 - 4000 rds through it. The majority has been steel jacketed ammo, primarily silver bear with some wolf thrown in. Our range sessions usually only run about 300 rds at a time (don't want to annoy the neighbors too much). In that time only a couple of ftf, mostly near the end when it was a bit dirty, and with an ancient 20 rd mag. All in all I'm really happy with it.

Tzed250
14 December 2012, 02:56
Thanks for the quick write up. The ftf's, were they a failure to go into battery because the weapon was dirty? Thanks for your time!

skymark
14 December 2012, 06:01
Thanks for the quick write up. The ftf's, were they a failure to go into battery because the weapon was dirty? Thanks for your time!

I think a combination of being dirty and the old 20 rd mag. It only happened with that combination, never when using a good quality 30 rd.

Tzed250
14 December 2012, 14:49
Thanks for the reply. Good to know the weapon wasn't at fault.

Steeles
15 December 2012, 14:37
i Joined awhile ago. shortly after firing an AR15 for the first time. I'm relatively new to firemarms, only been shooting a couple of year now, mostly handguns. I discovered IDPA and was hooked. Range day with a couple of friends and got to shoot an AR for the first time and instantly wanted one. I think I found the forum through one of Stickgunners photos..? can't remember, but I liked the forum and have been reading it a lot doing my research, planning on getting my own AR. So I guess I feel I haven't had anything to ADD to the forum and I'm not at the point where any questions I haven't found in my searching. And honestly I had forgotten I had registered. I went to sign up and found my login was taken lol. tried my password and vbam I was logged in again. So this is my first post. Thanks to everyone on the board for giving m SO much great reading and research. I hope to start my own build after the Christmas holidays (perfect timing since if nothing else supply is going to go way down due to the CT sadness) So I'll probably start asking questions soon...

Gunfixr
16 December 2012, 20:40
I read this thread awhile ago, but didn't reply. I think I was on short notice, and had to get off the computer to go somewhere, and just got on here to take a quick look around.
When I heard about this forum last Jan., I registered, and was getting on here every so often, but nothing seemed to be going on. I went to just lurking, and eventually quit that. I could check once a week, and there'd be like three new posts.
It does look somewhat more busy now, so I guess I just need to get the habit of checking in here.
Don't know how much I really have to contribute, as my budget doesn't cover getting or building a new rifle every six months. I've got a couple now, both built by me. While I don't know it all, I do know my way around the AR platform, having had one back in the mid to late 80s, then going to AKs in the early 90s, and to the FAL late in the 90s. Sometime in the first decade of 2000, I got more AKs, more ARs, and an M1A. I still have an AK, but now have the 2 ARs, and the rest has been sold off.
I've built ARs, AKs, and FALs.
Anyway, there just didn't seem to be much activity around here when I signed up, and most of what there was, didn't overly apply to me.
Like everybody else, I really enjoy Stickman's pics, have been for years on another AR forum. Still another won't even let me sign up, since I have an "anonymous" email address, whatever that is. Really? Guess I didn't miss much.

I use the same name everywhere also.

mvician
26 December 2012, 09:38
The question is, are the 100 guests members that simply didn't sign in, or lurkers? If you're a lurker, you obviously can't respond to this post, but maybe our previous lurkers can answer the question. What made you signup or not sign up immediately? Is there something the admins could do to make it easier on you? Was it a hassle or are we all just too lazy to sign in? [:D]

Of those 100 "guests" I'd venture to say that 90% of them are "spiders", "crawlers", "bots" busily cataloging the forums.

Computalotapus
26 December 2012, 14:00
I know I lurked the forums for a long long long time. A big reason was because I was not sure what I wanted in my AR. I browsed around looked at what other people had from lowers to uppers to accessories. I compiled a list of vendors and manufactures. I checked them all out. Read reviews on anything related to the AR-15 platform. What kind of metal used on the barrels, the twist, and length. Went over ballistic charts. Tons of information and even more choices on configurations. In the end I wanted an all purpose weapon and we all know you can't put all of that into one rifle. I ended up going with a blank Stag Arms Model 3 complete rifle 16" for CQB, magpul mbus flip ups for back up sights, EoTech XPS3 for my red dot. An Alexander Arms 6.5 upper 20" for a Vortex Viper optics for hunting. A CMMG .22LR upper for plinking and small varmit with a cheap 3x9 optics. I think a big reason some people don't login or register is because they are still indecisive on what they want in their AR. My setups are pretty plain compared to others. But I have found getting down to the basics has made me a better shooter. with the .22LR upper I was able to get my girls into shooting and the mbus flip ups I know I can put them on iron sights and 9 times out of 10 they are going to hit their mark. The 3x9 just makes it a little more fun. With the .223 upper I am looking into getting into some local CQB style competitions and I might put a foregrip on before then. With the 6.5 upper I can hunt deer and hogs and I might put a bi-pod on it and try my luck at the new 1000 yd range in my area.

rob_s
27 December 2012, 04:37
Of those 100 "guests" I'd venture to say that 90% of them are "spiders", "crawlers", "bots" busily cataloging the forums.

Perhaps, but there are also very likely 90 legitimate viewers to every 10 posters as well. Outside of gun forums I read forums on cars, motorcycles, architecture, design... All sorts of topics that I have no interest in actually discussing or don't feel like contributing to but that I'm interested in keeping up on.

I find that most of the lurker s find the behavior of regular posters to be pretty odd, and most regular posters could never fathom why someone wouldn't want to get wrapped up in arguing with strangers on the interwebs.

UWone77
27 December 2012, 11:40
I read this thread awhile ago, but didn't reply. I think I was on short notice, and had to get off the computer to go somewhere, and just got on here to take a quick look around.
When I heard about this forum last Jan., I registered, and was getting on here every so often, but nothing seemed to be going on. I went to just lurking, and eventually quit that. I could check once a week, and there'd be like three new posts.
It does look somewhat more busy now, so I guess I just need to get the habit of checking in here.
Don't know how much I really have to contribute, as my budget doesn't cover getting or building a new rifle every six months. I've got a couple now, both built by me. While I don't know it all, I do know my way around the AR platform, having had one back in the mid to late 80s, then going to AKs in the early 90s, and to the FAL late in the 90s. Sometime in the first decade of 2000, I got more AKs, more ARs, and an M1A. I still have an AK, but now have the 2 ARs, and the rest has been sold off.
I've built ARs, AKs, and FALs.
Anyway, there just didn't seem to be much activity around here when I signed up, and most of what there was, didn't overly apply to me.
Like everybody else, I really enjoy Stickman's pics, have been for years on another AR forum. Still another won't even let me sign up, since I have an "anonymous" email address, whatever that is. Really? Guess I didn't miss much.

I use the same name everywhere also.

Thanks for your input. I think a lot of it has to do with, WEVO has more here's what new and coming soon announcements than discussion threads. We however, certainly do not discourage discussion. I know a lot of new members and new people to the AR platform are treated differently on other sites, and sometimes are reluctant to post newbie type questions. That and the fact we don't have a "general discussion" area.

csmith
27 December 2012, 20:02
That and the fact we don't have a "general discussion" area.

Absolutely brilliant move. Please don't change that.

rootbrain
5 February 2013, 13:50
Hi, new to this site, found it through others. I use tapatalk through my tablet to keep track of sites that interest me. This includes gun sites, computer sites, sports sites etc. etc.

I have many interests and frequent many sites. I use the same screen name if possible.

Since I just found this site I will be checking it. Tapatalks subscribe feature will keep me informed of updates to forums and threads I've expressed interest in.

Rootbrain

Gray
7 February 2013, 17:07
Figured I would weigh in. I am a little older than many of the people who post here (12 presidents), but probably not the oldest. I prefer to listen as much as I can (I hit the new posts button). I try to use the advantages of the younger and newer experiences here to keep my thinking agile.

travk1234
18 February 2013, 09:57
I just realized I wasn't logged it. Shows how much I post. Other people seem to do an OK job explaining what I have to say.

Dustysa4
21 February 2013, 07:19
I don't log in for 2 reasons. There are far more qualified members that post. I usually enjoy just reading and learning from them. The other reason is just laziness. But since finding this thread I'll make more of an effort to sign in.

Tigereye
4 March 2013, 04:26
I don't post much because I learn more from reading posts from others who are more experienced. After reading this thread, I will sign in when I'm on the site.

The_Hammer
19 March 2013, 22:29
Nothing now, just joined and I'm logged in [:D]

Jerry R
20 March 2013, 14:07
Nothing now, just joined and I'm logged in [:D]

Welcome aboard.

I tend to use the "Remember me" button so I don't have to remember my name and password ;)

While the lurker:logged in ratio may be similar to other forums, this board is really different than any other I am a member of (with the exception of one photography board) in that the staff is comprised of extremely knowledgeable individuals that put the products to use daily - or did so in a past life. The main focus was/is to provide information that is difficult to find elsewhere.

No one comes across as arrogant, no one talks down to those who are not as well versed in product. And yet, the air of encyclopedic volumes of data available from real experts may be a little intimidating to some.

My advice - stick your toe in - the water is just fine !!

Edit: BTW, I am not one of the extremely knowledgeable individuals (my posts speak volumes to that) [BD]

InstaGator
21 March 2013, 04:51
[:)]

Agree.

There are a lot of forums dealing with various types of firearms and shooting styles. I have recently learned, and thus abandoned, that one of the larger forums is packed with people I would include in the 25% knowledgeable yet sit on the edge of their keyboards with torch and pitchfork in hand ready to pounce with personal attacks as a form of disagreement. I enjoy the quality of the Facebook posts I receive from WE.

Edit: As stated in previous posts, there are far more qualified individuals on this site than myself. Therefore, it is beneficial for me and others than I keep my mouth shut most of the time. Lack of participation may hurt WE advertising revenue, but most other sites are stuffed with inflammatory General Discussion threads.

InstaGator
21 March 2013, 08:19
OK, it's been 3-1/2 hours and according to the "What's New" in the last 24 hours, my previous post was the last one. There may be a participation problem. A scuba board that I frequent has postings so fast it's hard to keep up with conversations sometimes. Are scuba divers more chatty/friendly than shooters?

xtitan1
26 April 2013, 10:56
Well, I've been lurking for two days and saw this thread. I figured if the guys here want people to be registered and logged in and particpate, that's a fair trade for the info.

I wasn't doing so because I'm intimidated by the intense amount of knowledge here. I'm trying to absorb as much of it as I can but I have to look up a lot of the stuff in the posts you guys are talking about in order to understand. Why take the 5 minutes to register when I am seeing everything I need to see right now, and I don't want to ask any questions (better to keep your mouth shut and have everyone suspect you are a fool, than open your mouth and confirm it).

ccase39
27 April 2013, 11:19
I view a lot without logging in. I registered immediately as soon as I found this site because I had questions and you guys seemed educated and without condescending attitudes that you find on other message boards across the web. The reason I browse a lot not logged in is because I browse on my phone mostly and for some reason it doesn't automatically log me in. I don't have it on auto login at work either for obvious reasons. If I want to post I will just log in and do so. When I am at home I am usually logged in all the time. I have a feeling a lot of those lurkers you see may be members checking the board on a phone or mobile device.

lamarbrog
27 April 2013, 21:52
I don't post for two reasons...

1) Most conversations tend to be slow moving. In order to maintain my interest, a topic I am following would preferably have something contributed every day or two. I reply to a thread, and then sit back and wait to see what other people thought about the topic..... and six months later someone adds something. Well, by that point, I have to go back and read the whole thread again just to remember what the OP was, what I responded with, if I even hold the same opinion anymore, and then what the new information is.

2) Half the time when someone does respond (again, six months later), if I shared information that was not so much opinion as it is just my own personal experience and a recounting of something I observed, a know-it-all with the credentials of "I have been to more training classes than you" jumps on me to tell me how wrong I am and that I am a stupid, inferior, unenlightened simpleton in every facet of my being. Said person can't simply disagree, and post what their experience has been, but instead needs to assert their superiority and dominance in the most unsavory way possible.

... it gets old.

UWone77
28 April 2013, 02:28
I don't post for two reasons...

1) Most conversations tend to be slow moving. In order to maintain my interest, a topic I am following would preferably have something contributed every day or two. I reply to a thread, and then sit back and wait to see what other people thought about the topic..... and six months later someone adds something. Well, by that point, I have to go back and read the whole thread again just to remember what the OP was, what I responded with, if I even hold the same opinion anymore, and then what the new information is.

2) Half the time when someone does respond (again, six months later), if I shared information that was not so much opinion as it is just my own personal experience and a recounting of something I observed, a know-it-all with the credentials of "I have been to more training classes than you" jumps on me to tell me how wrong I am and that I am a stupid, inferior, unenlightened simpleton in every facet of my being. Said person can't simply disagree, and post what their experience has been, but instead needs to assert their superiority and dominance in the most unsavory way possible.

... it gets old.

Well, you did slit you own throat on m4c... we'll try to be nicer here. ;)