PDA

View Full Version : Question about 14.5" barrel?

Pork Chop
20 November 2012, 18:02
all i really have left to do on my AR is get the barrel. it weill be another couple of weeks before i can purchase it but i wanted to ask a question. i know the ATF considers anything shorter than 16" barrel a SBR, which requires registration and a tax stamp. however, i know a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash hider (1.5") is not considered a SBR, thus the registration and tax stamp is not needed. i found a 14.5" barrel on one site and a flash hider that i want on another site.

now, my question is can i legally purchase a 14.5" barrel without mounting it on a rifle until i get the flash hider? once i have the barrel and flash hider i will take it to a gunsmith where it can be permanently attached. i don't know if the ATF regulates the barrels themselves or the rifles with the barrels attached. thanx in advanced.

UWone77
20 November 2012, 18:13
Yes you can purchase a 14.5 barrel without issue. If this is your first rifle I would strongly suggest a 16" The minimal benefits of a 14.5 isn't worth it when you later decide to change rails, front sight posts, or muzzle devices and realize you can't. Take it from someone who once had to unpin and weld something.

Pork Chop
20 November 2012, 19:01
i already have a quad rail hand guard and i'll be going with a low pro gas block since i have the magpul mbus sights.

i initially was thinking of the 10.5" SBR route. then i found out all the crap that goes along with the SBR registration and the cost. so i figured the 14.5" with the flash hider was the best way to legally get the shortest rifle possible. i don't know if i've posted my build yet, so here it is so far:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/dani1083_2007/FF9BA85E-4463-48C6-ABA2-9F7134AC780D-1612-000001F62562F911.jpg

NFA polymer lower
Adcor Defense A3 upper
ARD quadrail
Magpul MBUS sights
DD CH & foregrip (courtesy of bobincovington!!)
Vortex Strikefire
Knights Armament rail covers

total investment including the bolt i just bought is right around $510.

UWone77
21 November 2012, 05:14
After you put a flash hider/comp on the barrel, the difference between a 14.5 and 16" is negligible. Why do you need the shortest possible barrel? The benefits and flexibility the 16" has over the 14.5 pinned/welded are many.

Paulo_Santos
21 November 2012, 06:33
That is going to look nice.

todd.k
21 November 2012, 09:13
You could just see about having the barrel shipped to your gunsmith.

MoxyDave
21 November 2012, 11:50
At one time Bushmaster had a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached Phantom flash hider. I bought the last 2 back then, maybe they still have them? I think ADCO or BCM could help you out as well.

TripleBravo
21 November 2012, 14:14
To answer your question directly: you may purchase the 14.5 inch barrel and have it shipped to you with no problem.

You do need to ensure that with the flash hider attached, the overall length of the barrel is 16 inches or greater. A standard A2 flash hider falls short of the 16 inches.

There are several companies who can permanently attach it for you. To stay legal, you may build the upper, but you may not attach the upper to the lower until you have the flash hider permanently attached.

Pork Chop
21 November 2012, 17:26
The flash hider I want is the Yankee hill machine model 27 zombie. It is at least 1.5" with very aggressive points on the end. I thought it looked awesome and it could possibly double as a self defense tool if the need ever arose.

Sent using TapaTalk app.

Pork Chop
22 November 2012, 06:01
i guess i had the name wrong, it's the YHM-27-ZH Annihilator:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w176/dani1083_2007/YHM-27-ZH.jpg

UWone77
22 November 2012, 07:51
Pork Chop, is what made you interested in that muzzle device based on appearance and the possiblity it could be used as a self defense tool?

Pork Chop
22 November 2012, 08:45
Appearance, length and the fact that it has an aggressive style. The points on the end could be used to possibly break a window, or if the need arose, it could be used as a defensive tool if you were out of ammo or just close enough to your assailant to use it like a bayonet.

Sent using TapaTalk app.

UWone77
22 November 2012, 09:04
If this is your first rifle, I'd stick to a good flash hider or a comp if that's what you prefer. I carry a rifle daily for work, and have never needed to use my rifle to break a window or bayonet anyone. Get a good barrel and hit the range.

Pork Chop
22 November 2012, 09:16
If this is your first rifle, I'd stick to a good flash hider or a comp if that's what you prefer. I carry a rifle daily for work, and have never needed to use my rifle to break a window or bayonet anyone. Get a good barrel and hit the range.

i was thinking more like "SHTF" type situations.

Samf
27 November 2012, 01:40
It doesn't seem to me that going for a bit shorter, slicker barrel, then adding a FH that will catch on absolutely everything are congruent ideas.

UWone77
27 November 2012, 06:54
It doesn't seem to me that going for a bit shorter, slicker barrel, then adding a FH that will catch on absolutely everything are congruent ideas.

Sometimes, we have to learn the hard way on what works and what doesn't.

LMMzach
16 September 2013, 18:10
Is this sbr a law in every state? I was thinking on a 14.5" barrel but I stumbled across this now I'm unsure.

Computalotapus
16 September 2013, 18:20
Is this sbr a law in every state? I was thinking on a 14.5" barrel but I stumbled across this now I'm unsure.

Depends on your state. If your state allows SBR yes there is a tax stamp for anything shorter than 16". You can get a 14.5" and permanently attach a flash hider/compensator/brake to the barrel to reach the 16" requirement. In the state I live in SBR is illegal period.

You can either research the gun laws in your state or simply ask someone at your local gun shop about it.

LMMzach
16 September 2013, 19:27
Looked it up sbr's are legal in Ohio along with suppressors (interesting) but you do need to get forms filed out and signed by a Cleo? Probably end up with a 16" for the first rifle just so I can go shoot it.

UWone77
16 September 2013, 20:53
Looked it up sbr's are legal in Ohio along with suppressors (interesting) but you do need to get forms filed out and signed by a Cleo? Probably end up with a 16" for the first rifle just so I can go shoot it.

You can either go with a CLEO sign off or a trust to bypass the CLEO.

We are probably going to move to Ohio in the next 8-10 years.

LMMzach
17 September 2013, 14:50
How do I go about getting the CLEO? And what happens if I just buy one before I get the paperwork? Or must I have it first.

Ps. Ohio is a pretty good state I've lived here my whole life no plans of moving.

UWone77
17 September 2013, 15:21
How do I go about getting the CLEO? And what happens if I just buy one before I get the paperwork? Or must I have it first.

Ps. Ohio is a pretty good state I've lived here my whole life no plans of moving.

You'll have to contact your CLEO and ask if he will sign off on a Form 4 for a suppressor. Since you live in a "free" state with SBR's, Suppressors, ect, you probably have a better chance. If you live in a smaller town, it might just be easier to see if you can make an appointment to see the CLEO and ask him face to face.

You won't be able to buy a suppressor "first" without it as the Form 4 won't go anywhere.

LMMzach
17 September 2013, 15:49
Same goes with the sbr? Who ever I purchase it from will ask for the form? I do live in a small town with little to no crime. Everyone knows everyone kind of deal so I don't think it should be hard to get an appointment with the Cleo

UWone77
17 September 2013, 15:57
Same goes with the sbr? Who ever I purchase it from will ask for the form? I do live in a small town with little to no crime. Everyone knows everyone kind of deal so I don't think it should be hard to get an appointment with the Cleo

You can "manufacturer" your own SBR from a stripped lower on a Form 1.

Or you can work with your local LGS or a manufacturer to get a registered factory SBR.