PDA

View Full Version : QD Brake Shield from Simplistic Shooting Solutions for YHM/AAC mounts

WeaponOutfitters
1 December 2012, 02:20
Sound suppressors on 5.56mm platforms have grown increasingly popular in civilian, law enforcement, and military applications in the last few years. To reduce overall bulk and keep weapons handling easy, SBRs and suppressors are a popular combination. Many users will use muzzle brakes as sacrificial baffles on SBRs, given the extra heat and amount of unburned powder from short barrels which can severely erode blast baffles on suppressors.

SBRs by themselves are louder and more concussive than normal, and muzzle brakes compound this problem... so enter the Simplistic Shooting Solutions QD brake shield.

The YHM specific version of this simple, yet effective device was just recently finished drastically reduces felt concussion for the operator.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24650948/WEVO/DSC01224.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24650948/WEVO/DSC01225.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24650948/WEVO/DSC01242.JPG

The AAC version of this device is nearing completion, and will use a set screw to stay in place. Initial prototypes were designed to work with the 51T version, but it should be compatible with 18T mounts as well!

Estimated pricing for both versions of the device is between $60-$70.

Boltgun
1 December 2012, 17:34
WO

- so I get this straight. This is basically a "cover" for muzzle brakes?
- I presume it threads on via the brakes external threads - YHM/AAC - will there be one for a OPS inc brake?
- Does this in anyway a device that could be consrtued as a silencer?
- Any chance at pics with the shield removed?

Sorry for all the questions.

Boltgun

WeaponOutfitters
3 December 2012, 15:03
Bolt gun, not a problem!

I sent your questions to Simplistic Shooting Solutions, and they will be able to best answer your questions. My answers are my educated guesses:

- Yes, it is simply a cover for muzzle devices. It works with flash hider versions as well
- No word on OPS brake versions
- There are no baffles or anything to reduce sound. It's simply a steel shroud to redirect propellant gasses/concussion away from users
- Just got my hands of very first production samples, will have pics up shortly!

SSS-LLC
3 December 2012, 22:03
Bolt gun, not a problem!

I sent your questions to Simplistic Shooting Solutions, and they will be able to best answer your questions. My answers are my educated guesses:

- Yes, it is simply a cover for muzzle devices. It works with flash hider versions as well - Yes this is correct
- No word on OPS brake versions - We are looking into it as we speak. WO will be the first to know!
- There are no baffles or anything to reduce sound. It's simply a steel shroud to redirect propellant gasses/concussion away from users - This is also correct
- Just got my hands of very first production samples, will have pics up shortly! - Cant wait to see!

We want to expand the QD Brake Shield offering in the near future with more suppressor brands.

sangria7
4 December 2012, 06:07
Maybe I missed it, but will this work with a Battlecomp 2.0?

Boltgun
4 December 2012, 06:13
sorry my notifications were off....thanks for the update.

does this negate the brake effect of controlling climb or recoil?

Boltgun

SSS-LLC
4 December 2012, 08:14
Maybe I missed it, but will this work with a Battlecomp 2.0? - The QD Brake Shield mounts onto suppressor mounts, not standard flashiders/brakes

sorry my notifications were off....thanks for the update.

does this negate the brake effect of controlling climb or recoil?

Boltgun - I noticed no change in felt recoil nor muzzle climb. The test mule was an LMT 10.5 5.56 and was real smooth with the shield installed.

Hope that helps!

Rodman24
4 December 2012, 08:26
Can you tell is if there are any flash hiding benefits? Obviously if you're running a brake, that's not really what you're going for, but it wouldn't hurt if this was a bi-product of the design. As well, if you were to run this with an AAC FH mount, would there be any improvement in the FH capabilities?

sangria7
4 December 2012, 10:12
Dang...would be great for regular muzzle brakes as well. I would love to put one on my SBR to push concussion forward. Oh well.

Which YHM muzzle device is this compatible with or any YHM Muzzle with suppressor mount?

SSS-LLC
4 December 2012, 14:11
Can you tell is if there are any flash hiding benefits? Obviously if you're running a brake, that's not really what you're going for, but it wouldn't hurt if this was a bi-product of the design. As well, if you were to run this with an AAC FH mount, would there be any improvement in the FH capabilities? - The flash is directed forward so obviously the flash is concentrated forwards. Hard to to say if the flash is any less but it isnt as wide as a brake or flash hider would make it.

Dang...would be great for regular muzzle brakes as well. I would love to put one on my SBR to push concussion forward. Oh well. - Noveske makes a product called the KX3 which screws directly onto the barrel, you may want to check them out.

Which YHM muzzle device is this compatible with or any YHM Muzzle with suppressor mount? - YHM QD suppressor mounts

Rodman24
4 December 2012, 16:48
- The flash is directed forward so obviously the flash is concentrated forwards. Hard to to say if the flash is any less but it isnt as wide as a brake or flash hider would make it.

Thanks. I assumed it would be similar to the KX3, but didn't know if you had any observations or comparisons.

SSS-LLC
4 December 2012, 20:16
I had a KX3 a few years ago on my 10.5" so that is what I can compare it to. The QD Brake Shield does the same exact thing as the KX3, but attaches to suppressor mounts.