PDA

View Full Version : Quad Rail from Walmart

Major Tom
5 December 2012, 04:07
Searching the Walmart web site for AR15 handguards, I found a quad rail, 2-piece w/rail covers for $29.99. Because I did not want to spend big bucks for a quad rail, I ordered it. I have a DPMS M4 carbine. This quad rail was easy to install ( I did not need to use special handguard removal tool), fit is perfect, tight, does not ratlle and looks great. With the rail covers installed, the grip is non-slip and provides a good hold for large hands. It is made of aluminum and accepts all 1913 attachments. I highly recommend this handguard.

Eric
5 December 2012, 05:12
It would be helpful if you could share with us what quad rail you found at Walmart, as they obviously are not the manufacturer. What role does this carbine serve? What items are you using on the rail system? Are these drop in parts that simply replace the existing handguards? USA made? Photos are always appreciated as well.

Major Tom
5 December 2012, 09:21
The handguard is made by Aim Sport. My DPMS carbine is used for general shooting with an eye for possible defense. I have a vericle grip installed which holds the battery for a tactical flash light and a green laser aim sight. The original DPMS handguard did not have a rail system, was plastic and was slippery with sweaty hands. The Aim Sport is a drop-in, no trimming, no fit problems and no gunsmith needed. Check www.walmart.com and search 'ar15 habdguard.

UWone77
5 December 2012, 09:26
Dump the quad-rail, or save up and get a real rail system. For the price, I'd rather get a set of Magpul MOE handguards to attach a light and a RVG vertical grip.

Paulo_Santos
5 December 2012, 10:52
Only you know what you will be using your AR for. If you are using it for some serious use, you can get a drop in quad rail for about $150. If it is just for fun, then get whatever you want. It is a handguard, so it's not exactly the most important part of the AR.

zero7one
5 December 2012, 12:46
Is this the one you are speaking of?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21066628?adid=22222222227015258380&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=17434153990&wl4=470350&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Major Tom
6 December 2012, 11:05
No, it's the TLM 1199 priced at $29.71

Major Tom
9 December 2012, 17:15
I really liked the Magpul Moe handguard mainly for it's looks. What I did not like like was you have to buy rails and rail covers. So, for $29.71 I got it all and the looks are great and it is versatile.

UWone77
9 December 2012, 20:51
Tom, if a $29 rail works for you, great, but most of the shooters here are not going to use that rail. It's simply just not up to par.

thatdamngoat
10 December 2012, 06:56
I run a magpul MOE handguard with a light mounted and a MOE grip on it, and no rails at all. I love it. Why would you need to buy rails and railcovers? If you're going to mount something and need a railto do so, I understand that purchace. but why would you just be buying rails to buy and put covers on it?

Stickman
10 December 2012, 14:16
Typically these are pot metal and similar in quality (or are the same as) airsoft components.

Major Tom
11 December 2012, 10:38
Well, these are made of aluminum, they fit tight and will not rotate. So, what is "not up to par"? I thought you had to have rails to mount "1913" type accessories. I did not see that on the Magpul Moe.

UWone77
11 December 2012, 10:46
Tom, I used to think like you did back in 2002, when I got my first Crapmaster. Keep reading the forums, and push your gun hard. You'll see what we mean sooner or later.

Keep posting reviews though, we like to hear from all types of shooters and the equipment they run.

csmith
11 December 2012, 17:18
Well, these are made of aluminum, they fit tight and will not rotate. So, what is "not up to par"? I thought you had to have rails to mount "1913" type accessories. I did not see that on the Magpul Moe.

The rail sections can be purchased seperately. Instead of being an entire lump of rail, you can customize where a few inches of rail goes on the handguard.

csmith
11 December 2012, 17:19

Stickman hit it.

Typically these are pot metal and similar in quality (or are the same as) airsoft components.

The main thing here is that you're happy with it. Should you run the weapon through some heavy use, as UWone has said, you'll see the difference.

Major Tom
12 December 2012, 09:57
Thanks to all who replied. You gave me sound advice. My DMPS is my second AR, I had sold my Colt AR years ago. Again, thank you

rootbrain
5 February 2013, 14:19
I've gotten a lot of chit from a lot of forums about not up to par BS for things I've purchased. Ignore it for now. If this aluminum fore rail system works, you got a great deal.

I bought a Walter PS22 RDS, made for a handgun. Less than $80, 5MOA, high quality unit. Can hit 3 inch groups at 100 yards standing.

When I mentioned how much I like it and how great it works on another site, I was told what an idiot I am, I don't know true quality, I wasted money etc. etc. because I didn't get a $400 Aimpoint or EOTech.

My 5MOA Walther has been put through some rough chit, keeps true, never budges unless I take it off, and right back on the money when reinstalled every time.

Some people have more dollars than sense.

Rootbrain

UWone77
5 February 2013, 14:57
I've gotten a lot of chit from a lot of forums about not up to par BS for things I've purchased. Ignore it for now. If this aluminum fore rail system works, you got a great deal.

I bought a Walter PS22 RDS, made for a handgun. Less than $80, 5MOA, high quality unit. Can hit 3 inch groups at 100 yards standing.

When I mentioned how much I like it and how great it works on another site, I was told what an idiot I am, I don't know true quality, I wasted money etc. etc. because I didn't get a $400 Aimpoint or EOTech.

My 5MOA Walther has been put through some rough chit, keeps true, never budges unless I take it off, and right back on the money when reinstalled every time.

Rootbrain

So you took a $80 handgun RDS that's 5 MOA, put it on a rifle, and you're getting 3 MOA groups standing? What kind of ammo were you using?

Stickman
5 February 2013, 16:06

Rootbrain

I don't think you are an idiot unless you believe you have the same quality in that optic that there is in an Aimpoint. If it works for you and your needs, that is good enough.

rootbrain
5 February 2013, 16:30
I don't think you are an idiot unless you believe you have the same quality in that optic that there is in an Aimpoint. If it works for you and your needs, that is good enough.

I believe I got more value for for my money. I don't buy Calvin Klein jeans either.

Rootbrain

rootbrain
5 February 2013, 16:35
So you took a $80 handgun RDS that's 5 MOA, put it on a rifle, and you're getting 3 MOA groups standing? What kind of ammo were you using?

Not 3 MOA every time, but frequently. It does vary depending on a lot of factors. Some times 5 or 6.

Have had quite different ammo lately, but I think it was Lake City 5.56.

Rootbrain

UWone77
5 February 2013, 17:10
Not 3 MOA every time, but frequently. It does vary depending on a lot of factors. Some times 5 or 6.

Have had quite different ammo lately, but I think it was Lake City 5.56.

Rootbrain

I have a tough time believing you're able to get 3 MOA groups standing, while using 4 MOA ammo and 5 MOA optics. I carry a rifle in the car daily, so to me, the Aimpoint is where it's at and I won't blink an eye spending $400 for it. But Like Stick says, use whatever works for you.

rootbrain
5 February 2013, 18:40
I have a tough time believing you're able to get 3 MOA groups standing, while using 4 MOA ammo and 5 MOA optics. I carry a rifle in the car daily, so to me, the Aimpoint is where it's at and I won't blink an eye spending $400 for it. But Like Stick says, use whatever works for you.

Well, believe it or don't. RDS is for quick, repeatable target acquisition anyway. If I can get 10 quick shots in a dinner plate area at 100 yards consistently, then it serves its purpose.

My post wasn't really about my choice of RDS, but rather to the OP about his front handguard. Don't let people who haven't even seen something, let alone tried it tell you theirs is better or yours is crap.

I've tried out Aimpoint and EOTech. Good RDS, both. For the money, I wasn't impressed.

How long did you try the Walther before you made your judgment?

Rootbrain

Stickman
5 February 2013, 18:55
A lot of what you are paying for with optics is clarity, durability, and longevity of batteries. The biggest being durability. Nonfogging glass, optical coating and other things are all secondary for real world use (LEO/ MIL/ Serious shooting).

Stickman
5 February 2013, 19:01

Different needs and means dictate different things. YOUR needs as a LEO are for an optic that can take extreme abuse, there isn't much need for that with the OP. While he certainly seems a bit defensive about his optic, it doesn't change it sounds like it meets HIS needs. When it stops working, he can bring it back to wallmart or where ever he got it. If it doesn't get much use, it matters even less.

UWone77
5 February 2013, 19:02
Well, believe it or don't. RDS is for quick, repeatable target acquisition anyway. If I can get 10 quick shots in a dinner plate area at 100 yards consistently, then it serves its purpose.

My post wasn't really about my choice of RDS, but rather to the OP about his front handguard. Don't let people who haven't even seen something, let alone tried it tell you theirs is better or yours is crap.

I've tried out Aimpoint and EOTech. Good RDS, both. For the money, I wasn't impressed.

How long did you try the Walther before you made your judgment?

Rootbrain

I don't believe you. I also don't need to take a bite of a crap sandwich to know I don't want it. Enjoy your optic.

Eric
5 February 2013, 20:21
The Walther PS22, aka Umarex Electronic Red Dot Point Sight 2300577, is marketed toward airsoft as well as firearms enthusiasts. Not exactly something that instills a sense of confidence. It's interesting that the US importer doesn't even have detailed product specs available on their web page or in the manual. Take it for what it is; an inexpensive RDS made in China and rebranded with the familiar Walther name. I'd happily put one on a .22 or something similar that only sees range or plinking duty (heck, I've got a $70 Primary Arms RDS on a 10-22 that works fine). I don't think you'll find a single LE/Mil instructor that would recommend one for real duty use or even attending a class. Anyone that thinks these are in the same catogory as an Aimpoint or EOtech is misinformed.

csmith
5 February 2013, 20:37
Rootbrain,
I think you're missing the overall point in this. Buying cheap is fine if it works for you and your intended purpose for the rifle. It's your money and your decision. Just don't confuse that purchase to be of any amount of lasting quality, especially when the purchase is made for a platform well above what the optic is rated for. I can go purchase a .22 rated scope to put on my Remington 700 .308, and it may well survive for a while. Eventually, though, it will crap out on me. That's just the fact of the matter.

If your PS22 is working the way you want it to I'm genuinely happy for you. For the time you've bucked the trend. At some point, though, the trend will most likely catch up to you. When they're saying run it hard and you'll see what we're talking about they don't mean a 4 magazine range session. It's something that you just have to figure out on your own, though. It's not about being an elitist, fanboy or gear snob. It's more of a BTDT stance. At least on Weapon Evolution it is.

browcs
6 February 2013, 06:55
Rootbrain, I do own a PS22....it is on top of a Tactical Solutions .22 LR AR upper. The lower is made out of polymer. That RDS is on that carbine for a reason: it is a general "knockabout" and light training rifle. My work gun has an Eotech on it and near all (except one) of my personal carbines have Aimpoints. I would never think about placing the PS22, or a rail system meant for airsoft purposes, on a rifle/carbine meant for work (LE/MIL) or serious training usage.

Something else, the people making comments here about what works and what doesn't (or may not hold up) are doing so from a position of experience....day in/day out as LEO's or military service members or responsibly armed citizens who have a lot of trigger time. As Stick and others have said, if the PS22 works for you in whatever capacity you use it for, carry on brother; good luck and have fun.

rootbrain
6 February 2013, 07:38
I'm not missing the point, seems most of you are. I'm not claiming the Walther is comparable to Aimpoint or EOTech.

MY POINT is that all too often someone seeking advice about ANY accessories are told they need combat grade something or their AR or other weapon of choice is crap.

LEO or military are only a portion of sports rifle enthusiasts. And a minority of forum users I'd bet.

The OP mentioned his WallyWorld purchase of an aluminum fore grip for a good price. He seemed pleased and happy with the purchase enough to share the info. One person asked about it and the AR and its uses. The Paramilitary wannabees jumped in. Basically just told his purchase was crap, cheap Chinese "pot metal" and he was gonna be sorry.

That's the BS. My RDS was just an example and was immediately jumped on in the same manner. As if I really cared.

Proved MY POINT right off the bat.

Rootbrain

Stickman
6 February 2013, 12:11
If you don't care, stop trying to defend it so much. At this point you are blaming everyone else and look desperate. You sound suspiciously like a young kid.

Like I've said, if it works for you, that is great.

rootbrain
6 February 2013, 13:34
:rolleyes:

Rootbrain

Rodman24
6 February 2013, 13:46
RB - I just read the entire thread for the first time. I didn't take any of the responses in the same way that you did. You might be overreacting.

Trust me when I say that no one here really cares what you are using, they only care that it meets your needs. Often there is a disconnect between what we think we need and what we actually need. And that go in either direction. Some may purchase equipment that exceeds their needs. I know I have in some instances and I'm okay with that. At least the error was in the right direction.

It would be wrong to say "That Porsche is a waste of money. My KIA is just as good". If you took it to the track you would realize the truth.

Paulo_Santos
6 February 2013, 14:25
You guys realize that you are all pretty much the same thing, yet still arguing with each other. LOL.

Everyone has different needs. Use what works for you. The end.