PDA

View Full Version : School Shooting Tragety - thoughts and prayers go out

BobinLaConner
14 December 2012, 19:57
Unthinkable... my heart goes out to the families of these young innocent children, the principal who was killed and the school teachers who acted to try and save lives and to the LEOs and any of the emergency responders. I can't even imagine what they went through and what the families are all going through. Today this one really hit me hard and I just couldn't focus after I heard the news. I'm a pretty tough old guy and I was holding back a few tears.

I'm sure there will be politicians using this and other recent events (like the mall shooting in Portland) as a grandstanding opportunity for gun control or an AWB. I feel confident that anyone who is here on Weapon Evolution is a responsible enthusiast or perhaps a veteran or LEO who earned our respect and can share knowledge to others about responsible ownership and usage. But it sure seems like the common denominator here is young adults (possibly with a serious screw loose) getting a gun from someone else and using it in a fantasy wanna-be warrior theme gone bad. I know some people blame the tool and want gun control and bans, but I don't think in these cases it would have stopped these people from carrying out their deadly intentions.

I was lucky enough to be raised in a family were we were taught that guns were serious tools for defending your life or for hunting or shooting sports. We were drilled about gun safety and taught to check every gun twice. We knew not to point even a toy gun at anyone and that you were responsible for each bullet. We were taught to be strong minded but live with integrity and honor, show good will towards others and to solve problems as they came at us. What happens in someone's brain to believe this type of massacre is an okay solution to whatever their problem is...? I am hearing this latest shooter may have had some mental problems perhaps autism?, sounds like he needed some help, but why do I feel like these shooters were not brought up with any strong family values of consequences? I guess I am just searching for an answer to a situation that can't be fully explained.

This is not a gun problem, a semi auto problem or a high cap mag problem or body armor problem, or a pistol grip issue...as my dad would probably say, "this is a person problem". Maybe later there can be a discussion on how to keep these derailed shooters from killing innocent people and look at the root cause of what is really going on. These people need to find a better solution than killing randomly.

But today (and these days following), we all just grieve for the families and hope they can find some peace in their hearts and a way to ease their pain after their tragic loss.

thoughts and prayers, may god bless them (I probably should have saved some of this for another post on another day...also sorry for post title spelling "tragety" )

Paulo_Santos
14 December 2012, 20:02
Sad day. The issue goes beyond gun control.

John Hwang
15 December 2012, 08:57
Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims, families and the community of Newtown, Connecticut during this devastating tragedy.

P39
15 December 2012, 11:23
Our families thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by the tragic events of yesterday morning. It's inconceivable to me how anyone could do such a thing. I'm also disturbed by the manner in which the media "interviewed" some of the children who were at school that day. I feel that to be a tragedy as well. Those kids have experienced something that no one at that age should ever have to experience. Being thrust in front of a TV camera is a crime IMO.

blackheart9907
15 December 2012, 11:24
My prayers to the victims...

Condolence to the families...