PDA

View Full Version : Talon Grip Tape

oodalooper
25 December 2012, 07:14
Hey all. I see a lot of folks who stiple their handguns. I was looking for a solution to my Department-issued Glock. As anyone who shoots a Glock regularly, especially in inclement weather, the grip can be quite slippery.

When I inherited my pistol, it had some cheap skate board tape on it. It did little to improve the grip. There also was some on the slide but it constantly moved around and came off. I looked at several different options. I looked at the boot-style grips, but I didn't like the increase in circumference.

Recently I came across Talon Grips. They offer their product in both a sandpaper finish and also rubber. Yesterday it came in the mail, as well as some new gear from Original Special Operations Equipment, courtesy of John Willis, but that's another review to come later.

The grip tape came pre-cut and wraps all the way around the pistol, including the finger grooves. It installed easily enough, although I had a few minor wrinkles. I was able to re-wrap it without it turning into a sticky mess. After it was installed, the directions say to warm it up with a hair dryer or heat gun several times and grip it so it molds to your hand and the gun.

I wasn't expecting much by it. I sometimes fall prey to the "if its not expensive, it must not be good." Well folks, especially anyone who's pistol is there lifeline, this is a FANTASTIC product. I told my wife that this was the best $15.00 I have ever spent. After it was on, and I gripped it, it almost felt velcro'd to my hand. Like if I tried to throw the pistol it wouldn't go anywhere. Okay okay...slight exaggeration, but its a good illustration.

For any skeptics, I am not affiliated with any company and my only knowledge of Talon is that I ran across it on a forum and hence researched the web-site. This is my first review on this forum, however. Take my opinion for what it is.

Okay so here is the only down side. Its winter, so I don't have my forearms exposed. We are required to wear long sleeve shirts. The only problem I foresee is in the summer when we switch to short sleeves the sand paper may occasionally rub against my exposed arm. The directions actually address that issue, and say to take a separate piece of sandpaper and slightly sand the grip. That seems like a bit of a waste to me as the whole reason you put the sandpaper grip on the gun is for the rough texture.

I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 as my BUG. I ordered the rubber texture for it. I carry IWB in a Sticky holster and it would be too abrasive on my exposed skin.

Here is the link...

http://talongungrips.com/Talon-Gun-Grip-Reviews-Reviews.htm

We shall see how well this holds up to the rigors of being carried around daily.

PS: I don't know how to place my pictures into this thread.

Eric
25 December 2012, 21:06
Thanks for the review. It sounds like a nice option for a department issued weapon that can't be permanently altered.

To post photos use a feee host like www.photobucket.com.