PDA

View Full Version : Second generation BAD-ASS-ST

Duffy
25 December 2012, 09:51
The second generation of our short throw selector has these changes:

1. Throw arc changed from 45 degree to 50 degree to address a known issue with Wilson TTU triggers

2. Center section (where the flat is) diameter decreased to accommodate triggers with tall rear tang, and some NB coated triggers

Can you guys tell which is which? ;) The 5 degree increase in throw is almost imperceptible.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/45and50ST_zps2bf48785.jpg

Paulo_Santos
25 December 2012, 12:11
Looks great Duffy. I can tell the difference by looking at the end of the selector switch. The top one looks like it is 45 degrees while the bottom looks like 50 degrees. LOL.

TripleBravo
27 December 2012, 03:36
Cool!

Duffy
27 December 2012, 07:16
There was a little debate about whether to go to 50 degree to fix a problem that affected a tiny segment of the market. The question came to to this, can we say we've done the best we can, if we don't fix a known problem that some companies would deem acceptable to ignore?

We need to be honest with ourselves. Leaving this issue unresolved was an option, but a better option would be to fix it.

The discussion to go to a 50 degree took place when we found out about the TTU compatibility issues back in 2011. The main driving force was actually not the TTU problems, but something else.

The tiny amount of play / wobble when the detent is engaged in the detent holes is about 5 degrees or so. This is unavoidable, for the detent holes must be bigger than the detent, or the detent can't seat inside the holes. With a 90 degree selector, a little play isn't a big deal, but with a 45 degree, 10 degree of movement inside a 45 degree arc can be confusing. And so this was the first reason to go to a 50 degree arch, so the 5 degree or so movement in SAFE and FIRE position is less pronounced.

The reduction of the center's flat area diameter from 0.330 to 0.327 is to further address after market trigger compatibility issues. In the original design, the diameter was even greater, as that was the milspec. Milspec doesn't take into account the vast array of aftermarket triggers available, and to the user's detriment, some of them vary a great deal from factory specs. Over the years we gradually brought down the diameter, now it's 0.327.

This should address the AR Gold trigger's problem. But to be fair, not all AR Gold, and for that matter, not all TTUs experience the kind of issues the latest revisions aim to fix, I can only attribute this random occurrences with these triggers to variables such as receivers dimensions, and the variances within the triggers themselves.

We can't compel anyone to make their products more compatible with out of spec components, so we do what we can with ours. This was first started with Geissele Automatics. In a phone conversation with Bill back in 2010, I asked him why some DMR users had to modify their selectors to work with the DMR. The short answer is they wouldn't need to do that if their receivers were in spec, but to make a selector more tolerant of out of spec receivers, he gave us the value of the center flat width he'd like to see. In PIP1 (product improvement program) we increased the width of the center flat section as much as possible based on that advise.

To this date, every one of the selectors made since August of 2010 had that feature built in, whether a user is aware of it or not. If you ever wonder why DMR users never mention having to modify our selectors to work, well, now you know http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif

TangoSauce
27 December 2012, 14:08
I have a Geissele DMR trigger in my LaRue lower, and the BAD-ASS that I had purchased this year did not fit.

Should I try one of these new ones?

Duffy
15 January 2013, 14:00
TangoSauce, please email me roger@battlearmsdevelopment.com

This is the first we've heard of our selector not working with any Geissele triggers, I'd like to find out where the problem may be, thanks.