PDA

View Full Version : Bolt rings

Major Tom
1 January 2013, 14:16
I came across a product that replaces the 3 rings at the end of the bolt of a 223 AR with 1 rings having 3 concentric grooves priced at $7. Is this a good idea or a fly-by-nite gizmo? Claims of not having to stagger the ring gaps.

rob_s
1 January 2013, 15:02
Staggering the rungs is another one of those boot camp old wives tales. It's right up there with jamming pipe cleaners down the gas tube and not resting the mag on the deck in prone.

Stickman
1 January 2013, 17:26
I came across a product that replaces the 3 rings at the end of the bolt of a 223 AR with 1 rings having 3 concentric grooves priced at $7. Is this a good idea or a fly-by-nite gizmo? Claims of not having to stagger the ring gaps.

You don't have to stagger gas rings anyway, but I've seen rings wear out quickly on some guns, and take a long time on others. Replacement rings are always a good thing to have on hand.

Eric
1 January 2013, 17:28
If your talking about the 1 piece McFarland gas ring, it works, but not noticeably better than a standard set of rings. With standard gas rings as soon as you seat the bolt into the carrier, the gaps in the rings are compressed and is a non-issue. We were told in the Colt armorers class that the system would run with one gas ring. I'm the type who has to try such things to see if for myself and yes, I can confirm it works, but obviously not recommended.