PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9

BRD Jerm
26 May 2008, 21:37
thoughts?...

i ordered a new G19 and it turned out to be on backorder.they offered me a new M&P(no mag safety or inner lock) for $440 w/2 hi-cap mags and two more from S&W(mags run $30+).

...i bit.

so feel free to affirm my decision.[:)]

seriously,looking for any experiences...things to look out for...comparison to the Glock(plastic im most familar with)...etc...

TigerStripe
26 May 2008, 22:40
I've got one (M&P9) with no safeties. I like it and I haven't had any problems with it. It's an earlier one. I got mine on a blowout sale for $400 shipped and transferred.

TS

Stickman
27 May 2008, 08:22
I've had my Glock 19 far too long to ever trade it out, but I've been hearing good things about the M&P series. Let us know how yours works out for you, so far, most people seem to really like theirs. If they had gone with the M&P instead of the Sigma from the start, I think Glock would have had a much harder fight getting into the LE market.

TigerStripe
27 May 2008, 09:33
I still have my G17, so I didn't trade one for the other. I like both... but you won't be disappointed by the M&P9.

TS

BRD Jerm
27 May 2008, 11:16
i owned a G19 and G17 for several years,had to sell them during a rough patch.

im a big Glock fan,the G19 was a safe bet...but ive been wanting to try out the XD and M&P for awhile now.with the deal they had on the M&P,i figured why not give it a go(been hearing good things).

BRD Jerm
29 May 2008, 13:16
havent got to shoot it yet but the first impressions are very good.

great ergo's...noticeably slimmer than the Glocks...really like the way you can chamber a round from slide lock with manipulating the slide at all(just give the mag a little smack when inserting).

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/MP92004.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/MP92002.jpg

Paulo_Santos
30 May 2008, 15:17
My department just went to the M&P 45 this year. These guns are great. They are reliable, accurate, and pretty light compared to the S&W .45 we had.

GrinderCCM
30 May 2008, 15:57
First, I am no expert, so don’t listen to my nubness.

I love mine, its sooo sweet. Some nines seamed to have an ejection issue; some said to "break it in" some said to send it back. I shot 200 rounds and every 4rth one or so came back at my forehead. I talked to S&W they sent me an envelope to sent it back. I never did because after 200 or so it never did it again,, and always dropped to 4 O'clock. Some might say this or that, IDK what it was.

It’s easy to conceal carry and not heavy. Oh and that fit, finish and ergo is really nice. I can shoot it all day.

Stickman
31 May 2008, 13:52
My department just went to the M&P 45 this year. These guns are great. They are reliable, accurate, and pretty light compared to the S&W .45 we had.

I've got a feeling that it will be in our next handgun selection T&E as well.

Paulo_Santos
31 May 2008, 16:06
I'm sure you will like it a lot.

MerQ
3 June 2008, 22:14
I've got a feeling that it will be in our next handgun selection T&E as well.

That's good to hear because and I'm looking forward to it. I was thinking about picking up a M&P 45 for myself (and a M&P 9 for my girlfriend) while they are giving away the 2 free mags (and before I leave for the next "military trip.")

TigerStripe
3 June 2008, 22:55
I'd like to see a review on the M&P45. I haven't owned a 45 yet...

TS

Paulo_Santos
4 June 2008, 18:47
I'd like to see a review on the M&P45. I haven't owned a 45 yet...

TS

What would you like to know about them?

Positives:
1. Three interchangeable grips. (We actually found that using the largest grip, not matter how big your hand is, actually improved most of the guys shooting because with the larger grip, the guys were putting less finger on the trigger.).
2. Idiot proof mechanism that requires you to pull down an internal lever to disassemble the gun. (Hard to describe in writting.).[:D]
3. Very Comfortable.
4. Ambidextrous controls.
5. Removable safety.
6. Decent trigger.
7. Accurate.

Negatives:
1. Double-stack magazines only hold 10 rounds. I would like to see at least 12 for a full-size gun.
2. Can't think of anything else right now.[:D]

MerQ
4 June 2008, 21:14
How easy to you find the M&P 45 to conceal? I have a large frame body and usually carry a USP Compact (40 S&W /45 ACP) for my CCW.

TigerStripe
4 June 2008, 23:21
I've got the M&P9 with all safeties removed. One of these days I'll have to look at the 45.... The M&P is a great setup.

TS

Paulo_Santos
5 June 2008, 05:44
How easy to you find the M&P 45 to conceal? I have a large frame body and usually carry a USP Compact (40 S&W /45 ACP) for my CCW.

It is OK to conceal. Our Detectives carry the M&P .45's and they hide them pretty well with a jacket or big shirt. The holster is very important. They use a holster that rides up pretty high and it is thin.

For my off-duty, I like to wear ankle holsters, so I use a KAHR9 and it works great. I want to try the new M&P sub-compact to see how it works. My co-worker just got one so I'll try it out soon.

BRD Jerm
5 June 2008, 11:01
update:put a few hundred rounds through it the other day.started out with 100 rounds of WWB to get it a little dirty and then started with my carry ammo(Federal 147gr HST and 135gr+P bonded).

shoots great!

if it proves reliable im not sure if i'll buy another Glock...

well maybe a 19,everyone should have at least one G19.but i cant think of anything i like better about the Glock at this point,other than the proven long term reliability...and the cheaper mags.

BRD Jerm
30 June 2008, 16:40
this is a C&P from another thread i have,but i thought it may been of interest to some(still flawless well past 1000 rounds btw)....

i know theres a few M&P owners arround,thought this may interest you...

one of the(few) issues that has been mentioned with the M&P is the trigger reset.i just finished the stage one trigger work as shown by Burwell...

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf stage one ends on page 22.

im far from a smith,but i like to do what work i can on my own.normally i would shy away from trigger work that involved anything more than dropping in some new parts.but since my only real concern was with reset and the stage one looked like something i could handle,i went ahead and gave it a shot.

took me about an hour(being very carefull).i didnt take off quite as much as is shown in the instructions as i didnt want to go too far and screw things up.i would guess i took off somewhere between 80%-90% of whats shown.

im very impressed with the results.

the trigger pull feels a little lighter and "crisper",but my main concern was improving the reset...mission accomplished!

a definate improvement...shorter and far more pronounced.

anyway,if you've been considering having some trigger work done to your M&P and didnt want to send it off or spend the $$...i highly recommend the DIY method(at least stage one),easy,free,and excellent results.

austin12gauge
5 July 2008, 04:47
I have had my M&P 9 for about 2 years and wouldn't trade it for anything else. YMMV, but it fits my hand like no other and points naturally like pointing a finger. Without getting into a 9 vs 40 v 45 debate, the M&P platform, regardless of the caliber you choose, is a good one. Mine has had no failures to feed, fire or eject of any kind, even when virgin, and eats everything, including the cheap stuff.