PDA

View Full Version : safe to mount light to gas block?

Creeky73
4 January 2013, 04:33
I have a 20" barrel under a RA Evolution rail, and am running an Adams Arms piston kit on it. I am planning on using Magpul sights, primarily because the rear sight will fit under my scope/mount combo, and I would like to front sight to match. Obviously, I cannot put the front sight on the gas block, but with it being 20" I think that mounting it on the rail just behind the block will still give me a nice sight radius. So I was considering mounting a Mini Scout up front, and I was curious if it would be safe to mount the light to the gas block, in something like a Gear Sector side mount or an IWC Thorntail, something like that?

Thanks in advance

Optimus Prime
4 January 2013, 05:51
I don't see why not, as long as you're not using a plastic mount, as that's the reason it's frowned on to use an MBUS on a gas mount.

John Hwang
4 January 2013, 12:36
It will get very hot, I personally wouldn't put it up there if you are planning on doing heavy shooting. There should be plenty of room on the rail system.

Stickman
4 January 2013, 20:37
I'm with John, mount it off the rail, there really isn't a good reason not to. I don't think you will get barrel shadowing.

Creeky73
5 January 2013, 04:37
thanks for the advice, guys :)