PDA

View Full Version : NEWBY

clayart
28 May 2008, 17:57
good evening
I am new to the AR15 world and am starting my first build. I have my lower and upper and managed to snag one of the magpul UBR stocks that magpul has not actually announced a release date for. I am now looking at barrels. Can someone tell me if there is a minimum legal length? Also what constitutes a good barrel and can someone recommend some brands. Also is there anything in particular I am looking for when it comes to the bolt? Thanks for any advice.

TigerStripe
28 May 2008, 18:41
A barrel has to be at least 16 inches long, unless you attach a muzzle brake, flash suppressor or fake silencer/suppressor. The most common of one shorter than 16 inches is the 14.5 inch barrel with a permanently attached Phantom or Vortex flash suppressor.

You can get a Short Barrel Rifle if it is legal in your state and you apply for and get a $200 tax stamp from the BATFE.

As far as the "best" barrel that's very very subjetive and I wouldn't try to tell you which one was "best".

TS

clayart
28 May 2008, 19:22
thanks for the info. It was helpful.

clayart
28 May 2008, 19:41
I have been looking around at the Noveske barrels. I was thinking about one of their 14.5 barrels with one of their flash suppressors. I was interested in the KX3 Flash Suppressor but it does not say that it is intended as a permanent suppressor but does state that it is recommended for short barrel rifles....

m24shooter
28 May 2008, 20:33
They can be permanently attached, and I think you can go down to a 13.something or maybe even 12.something with it.
As far as good barrels, it depends a lot on what you want to do and what your expectations are. Noveskes are great, as are Shilen. For some factory Colt, Bushmaster, CMMG, or similar are just fine. Stay with some of the major names and you should be fine. You just need to figure out SS/chrome, 1:7, 1:8, 1:9, etc.
Also be advised that without going SBR, you will limit some of your rail options unless you want to remove your muzzle device. That's not bad per se; there are some very good rail options that don't require removal of the FSB for installation.
Welcome to the site.

clayart
29 May 2008, 05:50
Thanks for the welcome. Okay, after the research I have done I think I am going for a 1:9 chrome barrel. Since I am new to this what does SBR and FSB mean?

m24shooter
29 May 2008, 07:37
Short Barreled Rifle
Front Sight Base

Tucson
29 May 2008, 09:57
I have seen a 14.5 w/ perm flash hiders advertised as having a two piece FSB that is removable... I'll see if I can google it so i can provide more info.

Stickman
29 May 2008, 11:51
I have been looking around at the Noveske barrels. I was thinking about one of their 14.5 barrels with one of their flash suppressors. I was interested in the KX3 Flash Suppressor but it does not say that it is intended as a permanent suppressor but does state that it is recommended for short barrel rifles....

If you go that route, you can go with a 13.7" barrel if I remember correctly and have the KX3 attached, which brings it out to a legal 16".

clayart
29 May 2008, 13:34
I read in another post on this site that the 13.7 are noisier and you lose accuracy when compared to a 14.5 or 16....is that correct? Also what about bolt carrier group. I have a VLTOR upper and was looking at their bolts.
One more question for now....what does the designation M4 mean?
thanks again everybody!

TigerStripe
29 May 2008, 14:28
The shorted a barrel is, the louder it is. You lose velocity with a shorter barrel which cuts down its lethal range and that also means the bullet drops faster that it would out of a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel. So accuracy is not necessarily affected but the point of impact is compared to a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel. There are lots of good bolt carrier groups out there and Stickman has a great guide to them here (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341).

M4 simply means Model Four.

I hope that helped somewhat,

TS

clayart
29 May 2008, 15:24
it helped very much. I am off to check out stickman's guide

clayart
29 May 2008, 20:55
what does 1⁄2 X 28 TPI mean in reference to a Noveske barrel I found on Rainier arms website. I think I have settled on the Young MFG Lite chrome BCG?? not for any particular reason other than any reviews I have read have been good.

Stickman
29 May 2008, 21:17
what does 1⁄2 X 28 TPI mean in reference to a Noveske barrel I found on Rainier arms website. I think I have settled on the Young MFG Lite chrome BCG?? not for any particular reason other than any reviews I have read have been good.

1/2x28 refers to the threads on the end of the barrel. TPI= Threads Per Inch.

The Young BCG is fine, as are others.

clayart
1 June 2008, 17:20
my new question is,....and this was not a concern at first,...but am I going to run into a problem with a VLTOR upper and a DPMS lowe. I bought the lower at a local gun show.

m24shooter
1 June 2008, 18:19
Shouldn't. Some uppers fit poorly due to stacked tolerances. But in general, receivers are either in spec or they are not. Some have to be pushed together, some slop, and some fit like a glove.

clayart
1 June 2008, 19:02
[:)]
good deal. I just noticed that I could see light between where the upper sits on the lower and had initially thought that should not be the case. Sounds like it is going to be a non-issue though, so great.
By the way I just want to again thank everyone for all there answers. This forum is making this building process much easier.

TigerStripe
1 June 2008, 19:27
What's your question? If the Vltor upper and DPMS lower will "mate" well? If that is your question, they should go together well as far as fit and mechanics go. DPMS lowers are good in spec lowers. I've built a few DPMS lower and I've swapped uppers just to see.

TS

If I sound sm*rt*ss I don't mean to...

clayart
1 June 2008, 20:21
not at all. that was my question exactly,....how well hey would mate together.
I appreciate the feedback.

clayart
3 June 2008, 06:28
what makes an "auto" BCG an auto? I am assuming that since there is a designation given of either "auto" or "semi" that their is a difference....or can you use a BCG "auto" for a "semi" application?

Soulrack223
3 June 2008, 08:52
An auto carrier has more material at the back bottom, and simply weighs a little more.

ETA You can use an auto for a semi application.

Go to this link and about halfway down the page there are LMT and CMT BCGs above one another in auto and semi configurations. You can see the extra material on the back bottom portion of the auto carriers. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Upper-Receiver-Bolt-Carrier-Parts-s/2.htm

clayart
3 June 2008, 16:00
thanks for the info. I will check that out. I was interested in the BCM BCG that Bravo offers but the $130.00 was stating it was "auto".

CDDM416
6 June 2008, 02:31
Clayart, try this, http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=254 it helped me, i put it my fav's.

clayart
6 June 2008, 15:56
that was very helpful. thank you. I have bookmarked it as well. I finally know what BUIS stands for!![:)]