PDA

View Full Version : LuckyGunner.com 10K round torture test

MoxyDave
8 January 2013, 15:38
LuckyGunner.com ran 10K rounds each of different types of ammo through 4 identical Bushmaster MOE carbines. Their results are interesting:

Brass vs Steel-cased ammo 10K round torture test (http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/)

aklaunch
13 January 2013, 21:10
Thanks for the post!

That was a fun read.

M. Gale
14 January 2013, 07:47
40K rounds of ammunition? Are you kidding me? Somebody's kicking their self in the ass... How much did they spend on ammunition at today's rate? What's the return on their investment? The outcome was arguably predictable. This "test" is tantamount to a government funded study that cost $5,000,000 and found that half of all doctors and lawyers graduated in the bottom half of their class.

skymark
14 January 2013, 11:36
So that's where all the ammo went!

skymark
25 January 2013, 09:23
Having right around 4000 rds through my Sig M400, of primarily steel cased ammo, it got me thinking about my barrel after reading this. Just using a bore light I can't see any obvious wear or damage in the bore or chamber. I don't think I'll be slicing it open for further inspection! Same with the extractor, just no noticeable wear. Now I have never shot it to the point of being blistering hot, nor have I gone an extreme high number of rds before a bit of cleaning. Accuracy is still very good, though I have not bench rest shot for some time. Just makes me start thinking twice about bi-metal bullets.

LanceCriminal
29 January 2013, 07:17
I loved reading through this, especially looking at the detailed methodology and presentation. I'd really love to see this kind of detail used to test magazines and lubricants if the current ammo scarcities and political clouds dissipate. If they can incorporate different environments such as cold/snow, dry/dusty, muddy/humid into the mix, it might give some really good insight into what types of lubes work best in what environments, and whether any specific magazines hold up better over time, ie USGI vs Pmag vs Lancer vs HK vs Tapco, etc. Maybe look at feed lips, spring tension, corrosion, etc.

markm
19 February 2013, 08:21
The author of this is starting to suffer rob_s level delusions of grandeur. He auctioned off his personal gun for charity. Nice gesture and all... but really??

Just because it was his personal gun it has some inherent magic value? C'MON, MAN!