PDA

View Full Version : Why a two-stage trigger?

DonovanM
8 January 2013, 17:47
Is there any reason one would choose a two-stage trigger over a single-stage, beyond that of personal preference?

It seems most "combat/tactical" oriented triggers are two-stage, and the more competition oriented variants are single stage in the case of offerings from Geissele for instance.

Pardon my ignorance, I am very new to rifles. Thanks.

csmith
8 January 2013, 18:04
Think of a two stage trigger like a trigger safety of sorts. It has a bit of slack to take up before the pull will trip the hammer. A single stage trigger is more like the 2 lb. triggers people put into precision rifles, no slack just "bang".

That isn't a perfect description but it's ballpark. As for which to go with, stick with what comes in the LPK and learn the system. If you aren't running a precision gasser the GI trigger will work just fine.

FortTom
8 January 2013, 18:13
Just one thing to add, but in the same vein. Combat triggers on an M4 are burst, or in otherwords "auto" mode, when the selector is set for it. It would be very difficult to use a light weight single stage trigger, in auto mode, without a whole bunch of unintentional or AD (accidental discarges).

FT

DonovanM
8 January 2013, 18:35
Think of a two stage trigger like a trigger safety of sorts. It has a bit of slack to take up before the pull will trip the hammer. A single stage trigger is more like the 2 lb. triggers people put into precision rifles, no slack just "bang".

That isn't a perfect description but it's ballpark. As for which to go with, stick with what comes in the LPK and learn the system. If you aren't running a precision gasser the GI trigger will work just fine.

I'm starting to piece together the components for my second build and I am looking at something more precision oriented. Sort of like an SPR, but more of a 3-gun rifle without some of the more impractical bits. 18" SS barrel, rifle-length gas, variable mag optic etc. I'm looking for something light (~3.5-4lbs) and fast without being adjustable or seeming too "finicky".

I've had a little time with the mil-spec trigger on my DD. I can do good things with it but it is worth it to me to spend the money on something better for this rifle especially, and I will probably be replacing the mil-spec on my DD anyway with an ALG Combat after trying one at work. They're pretty nice (but still a bit too heavy for "precision" work IMO).

FortTom
8 January 2013, 19:01
I don't know how low you want to go, but I have a Wilson Combat 3 Gun (also called 3G) trigger in my LMT. It's got a trigger pull of 3.5 lbs. Wison warns, even at that weight, to be careful not to accidently get an unintended second shot. For 3 Gun comp, I personally wouldn't go any lighter than that. On the other hand, if it were a heavy bbl "varmit" or target gun, I might go down as low as 2 - 2.5. Actually that's true even on my bolt guns. Hunting, I go down to 2.5 or 3. Had a double trigger rifle once (forget the chambering) but it had the "set" trigger like a black powder. Blink too hard and that sucker fired, if you had the second trigger set. Scared me to death.

FT.

Taco John
8 January 2013, 20:11
I have a SSA and it really works good for my application "target shooting", its is just nice to pull the trigger in "then you feel the trigger creep in" and then it stops until you pull it. It is so great when it goes off, sorry for the rambling but it is that good.

LanceCriminal
10 January 2013, 16:39
I just went from an LMT Milspec trigger to a Geissele SSA-E trigger, and found myself in hog heaven. Once you take up the 2lb first stage, the second 1.5lb is almost telepathic. I just kept constant gentle pressure, and once everything was settled, my scope was aligned, and I was steady it's almost like all I had to do was think "bang" and the shots went right where I called them. Csmith was right when he said the first stage is almost like a "safety", because a 2 stage lets you have a super-light trigger without it being dangerous. If the SSA-E didn't have that first stage, then the rifle could possibly go off again just from the movement and recoil of the rifle. I got my SSA-E on a black Friday deal, but I would now not hesitate to buy it at full price, or even at a higher price, it is that good. I just wish my standard M1A had the same exact trigger...

Paulo_Santos
10 January 2013, 18:44
A quality 2-stage trigger will make a world of difference for accuracy.

rob_s
11 January 2013, 02:59
A quality 2-stage trigger will make a world of difference for accuracy.

Can you quantify that? What % reduction in group size is a "world"? If I'm shooting 4" now, but my rifle, barrel, and ammo are capable of 1", how much smaller will my groups be after the addition of a two-stage trigger? What constitutes a "quality two-stage trigger".

I see what Rob is trying to say. I'm an average 4 MOA shooter. Using a SSA, it definitely felt better, and the break was clean and crisp, but my groups were still 4 MOA.

Whether you have the ability to take advantage of a 2 stage trigger is up to the individual shooter and their abilities. The trigger does not make up for lack of skills.

Paulo_Santos
11 January 2013, 10:51
A quality two stage is one that is durable enough for duty use, such as the Geiselle Triggers.

What a two stage trigger does for you is it makes it easier to get consistant shots and reduce the "fliers" that start open up your shot groups. A two stage trigger won't make your AR more accurate, but it makes you a better/more consistant shooter.

I know I can consistently shoot more accurate with a two stage trigger. Years ago when I did some testing I saw about a 1/4 MOA difference, but I can shoot pretty well with a single stage trigger. So everyone will be different.

lamarbrog
24 January 2013, 22:32
My first center-fire rifle was an SKS I got for Christmas when I was 14. They have a two stage trigger. Of course, I have since moved onto an AR15 but the lack of that familiar old two stage trigger has always kind of subtly bothered me. It's hard to break old habits.

I shoot a Glock and an AR15. A Glock also has a two-stage trigger, so my sidearm and primary have the same mechanism if I convert my AR15 over to a two-stage. It's not a big deal, but I like to think keeping some consistency there may have a subtle benefit.

Two-stage triggers also offer a sort of "best of both worlds" approach to having a light, crisp break while still having a trigger heavy enough to be safe for "general purpose" shooting. I am using a Geissele SSA in my rifle. It's a 4.5 pound trigger with a 2.5lb take-up, and a 2lb break. I get the assistance to accuracy of a 2lb trigger, but with the safe handling of a 4.5lb trigger.

I prefer the SSA and usually recommend it to my customers because they price out very reasonably ($210 in 2013), are a simple drop-in replacement that doesn't require any tweaking to work, and there are no adjustments to get out of whack. They also have the advantage of using original weight springs. You get the reliability of a GI-type spring for ignition, and if you need to re-spring the fire control group at some point you don't have to hunt down some proprietary nonsense.

Nuclear_Arms
25 January 2013, 08:54
Frankly, I think it's all personal preference. My first rifle was a Springfield M1A with NM trigger. I got very used to the feel of a two stage on a rifle. My first pistol was a 1911, which felt pretty much the same (a little take up, a wall, then nice clean break). I like being able to set up the shot, stage the trigger, and then just 'push' it over the break. Even my bolt gun is set up this way.

My two ARs are equipped with a SSA and SD-E, and I will probably be putting another SD-E (or SSA-E) in a .308 AR project I've been working on.

I don't have anything against single stage triggers, and I totally get why people like them (especially in bolt guns). But it's just not my preference.