PDA

View Full Version : SHOT Show 2013 - ATAC TV LE/MIL Range and SHOT Media Day at the Range Debrief

zero7one
14 January 2013, 17:33
Here is a little info on my day so far...

A few of us attended the ATACTV Law Enforcement / Military Range day this morning at the Desert Sportsman's Rifle Club. The range opened at 0900 and we had a safety briefing around 0915. Looking around I noticed that everyone there appeared to be very familiar with firearms, so this was just a refresher. Aside from the 4 fundamental firearms safety rules, rule #5 was created....ABSOLUTELY NO VIDEO OR PHOTOGRAPHY! This was stressed over and over due to the real world operators there who did not want to be identified. I completely understood this and respected it as well. I know that there was at least one group that was granted permission to video a little bit after the area had been sanitized. They have given me permission to post their videos once they are made available.

The morning was unseasonably cold and per the car's thermometer, it was a balmy 28 degrees. Turns out that I underestimated the temperature and windchill factor in the open desert for this morning and had to embrace the suck for a few hours.

Note: If anyone plans on attending this event in the future, make sure you bring your own set of eyes and ears...I did, but many did not and there was a mad scramble to find some protection before the Ma-Deuce began to rock.

The set up of the range was okay. Not bad, but definitely has room for improvement. The total range length in use was about a football field length and with about 15-20 exhibitors in that space, quarters became tight when trying to weave through the attendees and lanes of fire.

We stopped at a few booths where some exhibitors were very attentive and provided some good information. Some were too crowded to even get a chance to see what they had on display. I finally had a chance to check out the new handgun light from INFORCE. My first impression was that it was well thought out and the controls on either side were readily accessible.

As for the ATACTV range, I was rather underwhelmed, party due to the over crowding and partly due to the frigid temperatures.

While driving from the ATACTV range to the SHOT Media Day at the Range, we stopped by a Wally World and picked up some extra snivle gear and some batteries for my hearing pro.

By the time we arrived at the Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club, located in Boulder City, the temperature had risen about 10 degrees, though it was still cold and windy. Since we were attending the afternoon session, which started at 1300 hours, it was disappointing to find out that many of the exhibitors had succumb to the elements and had beat feet. Overall I had a pretty good experience at the Media Day range, which was much more extensive and had around 140 exhibitors before some left.

I enjoyed being able to shoot a Glock race gun with Trijicon RMR milled into the slide at the Trijicon booth. I see this being the standard in the future.

I was impressed with the 9mm Caracal F with the Quick Acquisition Sight System and how fast the sights were acquired from a low-ready position. The handgun shot very well. Also of note from Caracal is the CC10, which is a newly released rifle that shoots handgun loads. I am not sure exactly what all calibers they will offer, though I fired the 9mm, which proved to be accurate with no overly noticeable recoil.

Glock is introducing the Glock 30S, which is, from what I understand, a G36 Slide (Single Stack) on a G30 Frame (Double Stack). The slide is slightly thinner, allowing for easier concealment and a reduction of 6 ounces from the overall weight. By the way, it shoots great as well!

Daniel Defense had a pretty bad ass Polaris ATV in front of their booth. I attempted to get in to see their rifles, but as I was about to grab it, I was sharked by another member of the media. No sweat, I'll check out their new Integrally Suppressed 300BLK tomorrow.

SOG Knives has a new line of knives coming out for Tactical, Hunting, Utility, and Camping coming out. I grabbed some shots of their new Tactical Knives, but will have to post them later. They also offered a quick class on throwing knives and tomahawks. That was a nice break for the day. I guess I will have to hang a chunk of wood in my back yard when I get home.

We walked around a little bit more, checked out a few more booths, and stopped by the Aimpoint Shooting Simulator on the way out. I have got to get one of these. The best part of the simulator is to show where your muzzle is tracking while moving towards a moving target.

Overall it was a decent day, though I have more hopes for the show itself which will begin tomorrow morning.

I will post what few pictures that I took today later. Right now I have a few meetings and a business dinner to attend.

Stay tuned for more info tomorrow!

TripleBravo
14 January 2013, 23:11
Tip one back for me!

zero7one
15 January 2013, 00:06
Tip one back for me!

Done!

Eric
15 January 2013, 00:17
Aside from the 4 fundamental firearms safety rules, rule #5 was created....ABSOLUTELY NO VIDEO OR PHOTOGRAPHY! This was stressed over and over due to the real world operators there who did not want to be identified. I completely understood this and respected it as well. You would think that folks could play by big boy rules, but there is always somebody who doesn't get it. It was reasonable rule, especially given the number of attendees. The surrounding area was beautiful.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/2013%20SHOT/IMG_2855_zpsb2e636b8.jpg

tac40
15 January 2013, 05:48
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/1-SHOT2013rangeday156_zpsedf2a243.jpg

Here at the POF booth, trying out a 7.62 AR. The POF is a piston AR. Zak is shooting the POF 308 SBR. POF staff watching us. As you can see, very cold in the Nevada desert.

tac40
15 January 2013, 05:53
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/1-SHOT2013rangeday281_zps4069fa99.jpg

At the Battlecomp booth, Mike is shooting a 556 AR with Battlecomp 1.0 attached with the Fortis rail. Sweet set up.

tac40
15 January 2013, 05:58
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/1-SHOT2013rangeday209_zpsb2301305.jpg

At the HK booth, we got to shoot the MG43. Yeah as you can see, we really shot it alot. Thanks to the HK crew showing off the weapon in the freezing and windy weather out in the desert.

browcs
15 January 2013, 18:08
Outstanding. Looks like I missed a lot of fun there. Glad ya'll posted these photos.

Eric
17 January 2013, 00:00
While we often find ourselves gravitating toward firearms related items, don't forget that SHOT encompasses so much more. SOG's outdoor display included a knife and tomahawk throwing area and crash course was provided to those willing to give it a go. I embarrassed myself with my lack of skill, but we had a blast.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/2013%20SHOT/IMG_2865_zps98aa9d6e.jpg

Eric
17 January 2013, 00:05
Daniel Defense brought a ride appropriate for the desert location.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/2013%20SHOT/IMG_2860_zpsf30ce927.jpg

Eric
17 January 2013, 00:13
Pistol caliber carbines are an option for those folks that don't want to launch an actual rifle round, but want something with a bit more accuracy and the ability to mount an optic. We shot some steel with the Caracal CC10, which was just released.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/2013%20SHOT/IMG_2857.jpg

MoxyDave
17 January 2013, 12:01
Did you get a chance to shoot the Caracal? I have been interested in their pistols for a while. I didn't know about the carbine. Just based on the looks, it reminds me of the Beretta CX4 Storm.