PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Review/ CD M5 13 round 1911

Stickman
4 June 2008, 18:03
After working with the Charles Daly D-M4LE, and having outstanding results, one of the Staff members commented that they also carried the BUL M-5 1911 lineup.

The M-5 wide body polymer .45 is the same variant that was sold under Kimbers name back when the AWB was in place. With the AWB, most people had no desire to pay Kimber prices for a 10 round 1911 when their favorite flavor already carried 8+1. This was a pistol I've had a long interest in, but I've never been willing to pay the asking price. With Charles Daly/ KBI importing them, the prices are very reasonable, and my interest is once again peaked (along with the interest of Dutch who brought it all up).

Charles Daly now imports the hicap M-5, and a 13 round 4" barreled 1911 gives a pretty good amount of firepower along with a stout caliber.

Below are a few pictures, if there are any special things you want to see, questions you have, or anything else you want to know, post it here and we will do what we can.

This pistol already has a list of Staff who want trigger time, so its going to get quite a work out.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Charles%20Daly%20Carbines/IMG_5535%201028%20WEVO.jpg

SHIHAN
4 June 2008, 23:43
I have been looking at these for awhile but have not shot one. If out of the box it comes out running for you with a minimum of getting it smooth I might have to pick one up.

Stickman
5 June 2008, 15:03
Build quality appears high, parts are well finished and without rough edges. Inspection so far has been what I would consider initial, and no actual trigger time as of yet.

The trigger is nice and clean, which is pretty much what I expect from most 1911 style pistols. The thumb safety is crisp, and the grip safety travels smoothly. Dry drill reloads are quicker than with standard 1911s, and that shouldn't be too shocking as the magwell is much wider to accommodate its 13 round magazines.

Charles Daly
11 June 2008, 10:40
Thanks for the preliminary posts on our M5. We're looking forward to your full test results.

The only thing I wanted to point out was the difference between our frame and the original Kimbers. When Bul made the frame for Kimber it had a squared front trigger guard that no one particularly cared for.

I do have a question on Hi-Cap .45's and .40S&W's. Can someone tell me the differenced between IDPA and IPSC legal? We would like our guns to be legal for both competitions, but have some confusion over bushing/no bushing and bull/no bull barrels. What do we need to be IDPA/IPSC legal?

Stickman
17 June 2008, 20:21
The only thing I wanted to point out was the difference between our frame and the original Kimbers. When Bul made the frame for Kimber it had a squared front trigger guard that no one particularly cared for.

Point well taken, it was also a problem as it wouldn't fit any regular 1911 holsters if I remember right.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Charles%20Daly%20Carbines/IMG_5540%201028%20WEVO.jpg

steve1911
6 September 2008, 23:03
Do you have any trigger time on the pistol yet.!

gotm4
7 September 2008, 18:20
Charles Daly,

Basically your gun would fall in Limited-10 for USPSA and in IDPA ESP (mag capacity limited to 10 rounds), or CDP (.45 only and mag capacity limited to 8 rounds). For USPSA I believe you would have to send a gun to John Amidon (USPSA rules guy) and have it 'blessed' and then sign a letter verifying that 500 pistols have been available to the public. I don't recall if IDPA has such a requirement. The single stack 1911 that Charles Daly makes is pretty nice and is currently legal for USPSA Single Stack division.

Later,
Robb

IDPA member #A20869
USPSA member #TY54065

Stickman
7 September 2008, 18:57
Do you have any trigger time on the pistol yet.!

Stage one of the review is completed, it went to an instructor today for its second round of testing.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4229#post4229

goyena70
7 July 2011, 11:09
I would like to purchase one, who has them in stock?

Eric
7 July 2011, 16:46
Charles Daley is no longer in business, so you will most likely be limited to searching for a used one. They were not in production for very long. Without factory support and some function problems, I would look at something else.

Stickman
9 July 2011, 10:02
While this made for a fun range gun, its long term reliability wasn't quite what we had hoped for. I'm sure we could have taken it to a decent smith to play around with, but the review was based on its stock configuration. Great feel to this pistol though.