PDA

View Full Version : No M4 feed ramps...

ChristopherM4
4 June 2008, 22:15
What options do I have with a upper without M4 feed ramps on it?

I bought a SunDevil upper/lower and didn’t pay attention to the upper. Most all barrels now a days only have M4 ramps on them. Can I use this upper for a .22lr or maybe a 9mm build? I’m concerned with using it as a 9mm build since I’m a lefty and not sure the standard brass deflector will do me any good.

Any good suggestions? Oh and I really don’t think hacking the upper with a dremel is a solution.

Thanks,

Topher

TigerStripe
4 June 2008, 23:28
I think you should be able to find a barrel without an M4 extension on it. Seems like there'd be more laying around since most people ask for the M4 ramps.

I don't know much about .22lr uppers other than I need one to use for training. To me the 9mm deflector looks like it would work better because it's farther to the front and it looks a whole lot bigger that the 5.56 deflector.

TS

Stickman
5 June 2008, 15:05
Can I use this upper for a .22lr or maybe a 9mm build?

Any good suggestions? Oh and I really don’t think hacking the upper with a dremel is a solution.

Thanks,

Topher

Did you get the Sun Devil upper with the shell deflector, or the one without? As far as the M4 ramps, you can find 5.56 barrels that don't have them.

Then again, with ammo prices, a .22 upper is always a nice idea....

John Hwang
5 June 2008, 15:17
You can use that upper with barrels with or without M4 feedramps without issue. We do have WOA barrels with AMBI extensions that will also match up perfectly if you would like.

ChristopherM4
5 June 2008, 15:21
Yes I got the shelll deflector/ foward assist version. I was thinking .22 as well but since I have a ceiner kit that I run on my only AR(Bushy m4gery) I'm debating spending for another .22. Its decent out to 50yrds now and I don't hunt or anything. Does the upper need any special ramps for a .22 build? Grant has those new barrels/BCG that would be cool.

Can I get a Noveske barrel with the rifle ramps? I think a SPR type build would be a good use for this upper.

Thanks,

Topher

carbinero
8 June 2008, 00:38
To repeat the above, you CAN use barrels with M4 feedramps on your upper without, just not the opposite (upper with ramps, barrel without).

I'd just shop for the barrel you want, regardless of the ramps (although without would probably look nicer!) and stick with p-mags which position the round high enough, so ramps don't seem to matter, in my experience (SA only).