PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella Corporation Forged Lower Receiver Update

zero7one
21 January 2013, 12:38
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8084/8403427106_fc6c6acd67_o.jpg

Forged Lower Receivers Will Be In Stock Beginning 1/25!*

While quantities are limited, the 1st lower will be at our MSRP of $175
All additional lowers can be purchased at $250 each
Any attempts to circumvent or cheat this pricing structure will result in ALL orders being cancelled

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8238/8403422092_7e510a6be7_o.jpg

*Lowers will be released in 100 quantity batches - Friday at 9pm EST, Saturday and Sunday at 5pm EST; thereafter receivers will be added to the site as they return from anodizing in conjunction with our "Notify Me" feature.

What were we thinking?! What's the "extra" profit for? A glimpse into the minds of UCWRG with regard to our current pricing:

As we are all aware the current market for lowers is insane. And even before all this panic buying we were seeing our Limited Edition lowers show up on Gunbroker.com, AR15.com, and several local trading posts for figures well beyond our introductory pricing. We at Umbrella do not believe there is such a thing as "price gouging" in a free market economy (we are capitalists after all), however we draw the line at scalpers; a person who buys our product with the intent of marking it up and reselling to turn a quick buck (or 1000) at the expense of our customers.

We don't have the right to tell anyone what to do with their property, but we do have an obligation to protect our loyal customers as best we can from those who would deprive them of an opportunity to purchase our very limited production AR-15 receivers. For this reason we have taken note of the lowers that were quickly put up for resale in the wake of our last release, whether successfully sold or not. We are not interested in placing a limit on the number of lowers a customer can purchase. Policing these types restrictions is incredibly labor intensive and beyond current staffing. Our strategy is to make it less appealing for those who wish to run straight to the auction sites, while at the same time providing a price for multiples below current market value. Obviously costs in this market are very dynamic with upward pressure being applied all the way through the supply chain; raw forgings are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain and we expect severe delays on the horizon. We will hold these numbers as we are able but prices can change without notice. This means that while our MSRP number will not deviate, additional lowers may increase or decrease in value as market conditions fluctuate. And once our production numbers permit us to properly support our dealers, expect to find Umbrella receivers at our slightly reduced MAP. This provides a savings over list pricing with the intention of driving sales to our preferred partners and dealers.

And yes, these lower receivers are more expensive than our previous models. We have been very forthcoming that our first attempt was not a profitable endeavor. But we have chosen to return to our original style of forged lower receivers because there's simply nothing quite like them on the market. The deep laser engraving of our logo requires a full 30 minutes of machine time and compared to a standard CNC or stamped lower that's a huge cost difference. With this now standard model we are likewise deep laser engraving all the text in our corporate font to provide a clean, crisp presentation as a compliment to our precision machining. Those of you familiar with our first run will note that the upper receiver tensioning screw, and rear takedown pin spring retaining screw, have both been eliminated from this model. While these novelties are appreciated by many, neither have a place on a combat grade weapon system. And make no mistake, the overused term mil-spec certainly applies as a minimum standard for our lowers at least as much as is possible with a semi-auto receiver. We have added our simple but ingenious patent pending bevel to the grip interface which makes installation of even the tightest aftermarket grips a nonissue. Our magwell bevel is deeper and wider than our first model, to the limit of a standard forging, providing an extra margin of speed and accessibility. But it's the premium machining and what's on the inside that separates our receivers from the competition; chemical composition certifications from Kaiser for the 7075 Aluminum, Anchor-Harvey certs for the forgings verifying physical properties and aged condition, independent analysis from Anderson Laboratories verifying both Kaiser and Anchor-Harvey's specs, post machining operational reports, plating QC certificates of compliance from the anodizer, and our receipt inspection protocol prior to oiling and packaging. All of this contributes to the premium nature of the product. Our manufacturing and customer satisfaction standards are incredibly high; we put our receivers up against any in the industry. Even so, note that our MSRP is lower than many of our direct competitors, pre industry madness.

Furthermore, if any ban or bill is stopped in the Senate or House we will be donating additional profits to two very deserving charities, the Navy Seal Foundation and Special Operation Warriors Foundation. Should the unthinkable occur, and we find ourselves in a position where we can no longer produce certain weapon components, Umbrella like hundreds of others in our industry will be forced to remedial action; in this instance a portion of accumulated profits will be channeled to an employee severance fund in anticipation of workforce reduction.

We have quite possibly the most controversial fight in history ahead of us and it is as important as ever to do your part and not assume everyone else is enough. Send emails, write letters, make phone calls and then do it again and then again! We need to give our representatives the support they need to destroy any bill designed to strip us of our Second Amendment rights. Remember to keep your emails and letters short and to the point. Let them know in the first sentence that you are against any legislation that infringes on the rights given by our Constitution!

IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING LOWER ORDERING!: You or your dealer must email their license to ffl@ucwrg.com so we can process your order. Your name must be included in the subject line of this email. If it is not, there WILL be a delay in processing your order. Please enter YOUR personal mailing address when creating your account. We will only ship to a licensed FFL holder and the address on their FFL.

Now that we're done with that...

Covers Are Back In Stock 1/25 too!

3 styles pictured here. One additional, black/black, to be added soon for a more subtle Umbrella look.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8498/8403422078_283b96ac58_b.jpg

PLUS...

Our Flagship Product: Billet Lowers Are In Production!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8352/8403422038_868f856eb1_b.jpg

Receivers pictured are "in the white". Production units will be mil-spec hard anodized in flat black with a possible no-color anodize option for those who like the look of tool marks on a raw receiver.

Billet Q & A:

Cost? Our billet lower receiver is a premium product and pricing will reflect that. Cost will be announced when the lowers are complete and ready to ship.

When? Material has arrived and production has begun. We are shooting to have these lowers ready mid to late February.

Can I pre-order or do you have a waiting list? We are in discussions regarding pre-orders/waiting lists, but a decision has not been made. If we do offer a pre-order option it will be announced via newsletter.

Material? The initial billet lower receivers will be cut from 7075-T651 Aluminum due to the extended lead time of our premium material. Standard production units will be machined from 7068 Aluminum (highest mechanical strength of all Aluminum alloys), aged to T6511, hard anodized. 7068 offers a 24% increase in ultimate tensile strength over 7075 and an almost 36% increase in typical yield strength. These numbers are huge considering 7075 is already an outstanding material.

Features? Our billet lower receiver offers a generous magwell funnel, oversized intergrated trigger guard for gloved use and a higher hold, superior alloy construction, A-DAC technology (bolt catch actuated via the mag button -- not a bolt release), notch to accommodate the Battle Arms Development 45 degree ambi selector, low shelf for a registered DIAS, unique magwell geometry to increase strength and reduce friction, and our patent pending grip interface. This lower is machined to exacting precision on possibly the finest equipment in the industry.

Availability? Quantities? Our billet is our premium lower and there will be limited quantities available. Our current production cell is set for 150 units per month.

Uppers to match? We do plan to offer a matching upper receiver, however we are still in the design phase of this project. We do not have an estimated release, pricing, or pre-order information available on the upper receiver at this time.

Additional Topics of Note:

Forged Upper Receivers are in production and we expect to start shipping in February. These uppers will differ slightly from the AO Precision machined units we contracted to backfill our production. Our new uppers will be marked with a small, deep laser engraved umbrella on the top of the rail.

Quick update on FDE Grip 23: We are still waiting on material from DuPont. We hope to have these grips ready by mid February. Thank you for your patience!

csmith
21 January 2013, 14:59
As we are all aware the current market for lowers is insane. And even before all this panic buying we were seeing our Limited Edition lowers show up on Gunbroker.com, AR15.com, and several local trading posts for figures well beyond our introductory pricing. We at Umbrella do not believe there is such a thing as "price gouging" in a free market economy (we are capitalists after all), however we draw the line at scalpers; a person who buys our product with the intent of marking it up and reselling to turn a quick buck (or 1000) at the expense of our customers.

That is an outstanding stance from a manufacturer. I've found a new favorite company.

zero7one
26 January 2013, 16:13
Today's Update from UCWRG:

Lower Receivers And The Website

Because our site is experiencing technical difficulties we will be placing lowers on the website at random intervals throughout the weekend. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, the web traffic and volume far exceeded our expectations. AFTER this weekend there will be a "Notify Me" feature for you to be emailed when they are added to the site.

We have terminated our contract with our web developer and are moving to a solution that can more adequately handle the demands to our website.

Thank you!

To find archived copies of our Newsletter please visit https://www.ucwrg.com/research-and-news/.

eldogg
27 January 2013, 08:19
this has been a cluster F***. they sold their first 100 on facebook,. who knew that they would do this after the site crashed?

csmith
27 January 2013, 11:06
They're selling them on the website at a rate of one or two an hour. I think the above newsletter was to get a majority of the people to back off of the site, but watching facebook posts on their page basically lets you know what they're doing. I got one earlier this morning. The game is to log in, go to the lower receiver page and hit refesh every 4-5 seconds on the lower page and "In Stock" will pop up every now and then. Have to be fast with the CC information, too.

ETA: zero7one, did you take the photograph on their home page? If so, do you recall what upper receiver that is?

Zeake
28 January 2013, 13:57
Good guys for sure.

TripleBravo
28 January 2013, 14:22
If so, do you recall what upper receiver that is?

It's a VLTOR MUR.

thatdamngoat
28 January 2013, 16:21
I was lucky enough to get one of the 100 from facebook. They did a hell of a job calling everyone to take care of the billing.

csmith
28 January 2013, 18:50
I was following the page as that was happening, but unfortunately I don't have a Facebook account so I couldn't get in on it. I was amazed at the sense of entitlement exhibited on the page. Definately sucked to see that from gun owners. Now isn't the time to throw a tantrum over not getting a gun component you weren't promised in the first place.

Triple Bravo, thank you. You're photography work with their weapons really makes them look good. Well, maybe not so much the tactical chop sticks.. [BD]

TripleBravo
28 January 2013, 19:32
I was following the page as that was happening, but unfortunately I don't have a Facebook account so I couldn't get in on it. I was amazed at the sense of entitlement exhibited on the page. Definately sucked to see that from gun owners. Now isn't the time to throw a tantrum over not getting a gun component you weren't promised in the first place.

Triple Bravo, thank you. You're photography work with their weapons really makes them look good. Well, maybe not so much the tactical chop sticks.. [BD]

Thanks! And don't hate on my chop stick skill. Do you know how hard it is to hold a tiny spring with chopsticks while taking a photo?!? ;)

csmith
28 January 2013, 20:23
And in nomex gloves no less! Now the wait is on for their uppers to release, my OCD wont allow me to mix and match receivers. Not yet, anyway. If they for some reason sell out before i can grab one that could change.