PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Build - Questions with *pending* restrictions

rudydecc
21 January 2013, 16:40
Since I just completed my graduate degree, my reward for myself is a AR type rifle. While I am still waffling between what manufacturer I want- the recent political discourse has made it apparent that it may be difficult for me to properly reward myself.

So I have to pose the question, since I need to budget for this thing (Dave Ramsey style), I am going to save up approximately $200 a month. I plan on saving up between $1600-2400 for this rifle. This should be able to get me what I want and then some more add-ons that I can waste money on.

Should I buy major component parts such as the upper and lower receiver to say that I had a rifle, or will I have 8-12 months to save up for a entire unit?

csmith
21 January 2013, 18:11
You can either purchase the serial numbered portion (or upper/lower) and find in 6-12 months you heavily overpayed because of the rampant fear, or on the other hand find down the road you're no longer legally "allowed" to purchase one and you should have bought it when you saw it. It's one of those decisions that you'll have to make for yourself as to if the price is right, and if the time is now. I can guarantee one thing, the potential ban is in no way synonymous with the proposal that should be out soon. If a ban should be on the horizon, it will not be immediate. Even New York instituted a one year grace period, and they haven't been firearm friendly in a long time.

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I had plans for a build at about the same time the nation lost all sense. For me it's more sensible to wait, but like I said it's a personal decision you'll need to make.

csmith
21 January 2013, 18:14
..and congrats on finishing your degree. Hopefully it's in something you can actually use. There's an out of work geologist working a cash register at the gas station down the street from me.

rudydecc
21 January 2013, 18:49
My degree is in HR Administration, which is what I am currently doing for a living.

I have a list of potential parts I had made on an excel sheet, so hopefully the manufacturers haven't started gouging people too bad. In any event I project that the ownership of the weapons would be grandfathered in.

mlosi762
21 January 2013, 20:37
Unfortunately you picked a bad time to get an AR (or any firearm for that matter). Demand is high, supply is low, therefore prices are super high... I have several buddies who are in the same boat, and I tell them all the same thing. It's a gamble. You can pay a premium on one now, and hope that IF a ban is enacted, you'll be grandfathered in. Or this "scare" could all blow over, and prices will go back to what they were, and you'll have paid too much. It's a tough call, but if I were in your shoes, I'd at least secure a stripped lower and upper. Or if your current budget permits, buy a complete bare-bones rifle. Even if things go back to what they were, and prices stabilize, you'll still have your rifle. At this point there is just no perfect answer on what to do.

Stickman
21 January 2013, 21:42
Without question I would buy a lower receiver first.

UWone77
21 January 2013, 22:22
I'd personally wait until this summer when the panic dies down and prices come back to reality. I don't think there will be a ban on ARs, but I would start with being on a backorder list for magazines.

MoxyDave
22 January 2013, 10:32
I would start with being on a backorder list for magazines.

If I were in your shoes I would pick up a couple of lowers and several magazines. You can always sell them later, even if you spend too much it won't break the bank by any means.

Congratulations on your degree. Way to go!

csmith
22 January 2013, 17:38
My degree is in HR Administration, which is what I am currently doing for a living.

I have a list of potential parts I had made on an excel sheet, so hopefully the manufacturers haven't started gouging people too bad. In any event I project that the ownership of the weapons would be grandfathered in.

Yeah, you're pretty set with that skill set. If you're keeping excel spreadsheets then I'm sorry to say you're already addicted.

rudydecc
22 January 2013, 18:17
Yeah, you're pretty set with that skill set. If you're keeping excel spreadsheets then I'm sorry to say you're already addicted.

One of my fellow HR Officers and I had a conversation about which ink pen we preferred... yeah, I'm that guy.

rudydecc
22 January 2013, 18:18
Without question I would buy a lower receiver first.

That's the way I was leaning. Lower receiver here I come... I might get two.

Stickman
23 January 2013, 00:53
That's the way I was leaning. Lower receiver here I come... I might get two.

You should be able to get them with a small premium over what they were a few months ago, but the lower is the part that really matters.