PDA

View Full Version : Malfunction Clearence Question

Steeles
27 January 2013, 21:11
So until I can get some actual range time with the carbine I've been watching all the training I can. (magpul's Art of the Tactical Carbine 1 and 2) And i noticed something I'm trying to figure out. hoping you gentlemen with more experience can shed some light.

watching the section on malfunction clearance when they discuss the double feed the recommended first step is to lock the bolt back. pull the magazine next. now here's where the question comes in, with the bolt locked back why rack the charging handle? unless you release the bolt which to me looks like it would only enhance the problem, or am I missing something?

Is the racking a holdover from clearance if you DON"T lock the bolt back?

zero7one
28 January 2013, 11:25
Here is how we perform a Secondary Malfunction Clearance Drill, which is typically caused by a double feed...

LOOK - Look to see what the stoppage in your rifle is. Helps to determine if it is only a Primary Malfunction, Secondary Malfunction, or just out of Ammo.

LOCK - Lock the bolt to the rear.

RIP - Rip out your magazine. You can retain the magazine, but that may have been the initial cause of the malfunction, so insert a fresh one if you have it (not now... a few steps later). If all you have is that partially used magazine, that is what you will have to use.

SWEEP - Sweep your fingers up the magazine well. This will assist in clearing out any "stuck" rounds and have them fall out.

RACK - Rack your bolt to the rear at least 3 times, while holding the rifle at a 45 degree angle up in the air in front of your face (work space so you can still see your threat) and gravity can assist the rounds in being extracted that may be stuck in the chamber.

INSERT - Insert a new magazine, make sure you tap the magazine in place and tug on it to ensure it is properly seated.

RACK - Rack the bolt one more time to insert a round into the chamber.

ASSESS - Assess your situation to determine if you still have a threat present or not.

Hope this helps out some. NOTE: This is just a guide line. This works for us. There are other methods out there and this is not the only one. I am proficient at this as are the others that I work with. Is it necessary to rack the bolt 3 times if you observe the double feed rounds fall through the magazine well and nothing is in the chamber, no. But the steps are there of how to "Properly" clear the malfunction. Sometimes you get lucky and can clear the malfunction without doing all of the steps...but know all of the steps in case you need them all. Just don't get a bolt over. That is going to be a difficult one to explain without demonstrating...

Steeles
28 January 2013, 12:53
That's the process I've heard/seen on the videos. But at what point do you release the bolt after ripping the magazine out?

And the overbolt was demonstrated on Travis Haley's adaptive carbine.

Thanks for the reply!

zero7one
28 January 2013, 13:23
But at what point do you release the bolt after ripping the magazine out?

After you sweep the magazine well. But you are releasing the bolt by racking the charging handle, not by hitting the bolt release.

Steeles
28 January 2013, 14:36
Ok just got home and looked at it. I guess I'd never pulled the charging handle back far enough to release the bolt when it was locked back. now having done that the step makes more sense to me. I knew there was SOMETHING in there I was missing! Thanks zero7one

zero7one
28 January 2013, 16:10
Ok just got home and looked at it. I guess I'd never pulled the charging handle back far enough to release the bolt when it was locked back. now having done that the step makes more sense to me. I knew there was SOMETHING in there I was missing! Thanks zero7one

Happy to help out...that's why we are here

RPM509
31 January 2013, 08:12
I know this isn't 'doctrine' but in 20+ years in the IN, 99% of all double feeds in my assigned M16/M4 were cleared buy holding
the charging handle/bcg back with my firing hand with the butt against my thigh or side (determined by if I was standing or prone)
and frantically sweeping the chamber area through the mag well with my off-hand. Once in a great while I would do the above
along with short, abrupt slamming of the butt on a hard surface (ground, wall, enemy combatant head etc).