PDA

View Full Version : 556 suppresor Who makes best?

Zeake
29 January 2013, 10:24
Well I am planning on buying one. Who makes the best, most durable, quietest ? Surefire? Gemtech? I have not researched them at all. I do own a gemtech 22lr and like it except for the mounting threads. I feel as if they are a weak point on the gemtech.
I plan on ordering one and filling out a form 4 somewhere soon.
Thanks in advance

Stickman
29 January 2013, 12:08
I think most people tend to look at AAC and Surefire as the kings in the suppressor arena. Something else to think about is going with a multifunction can. I use an AAC SDN6 for 5.56, 300BLK, and .308. One can, many platforms... one tax stamp.

Zeake
16 February 2013, 17:30
I think most people tend to look at AAC and Surefire as the kings in the suppressor arena. Something else to think about is going with a multifunction can. I use an AAC SDN6 for 5.56, 300BLK, and .308. One can, many platforms... one tax stamp.

I purchased the sdn6 today. Now to hurry up and wait. LOL Thanks for the advice.

tappedandtagged
12 February 2014, 15:28
Pretty much all of them have lifetime warranties. I went with SWR. Had I have had more money, I would have gone with AAC.

tact
12 February 2014, 19:04
I purchased the sdn6 today. Now to hurry up and wait. LOL Thanks for the advice.

Hopefully you had a trust and used the eFile.....

Sak007
12 February 2014, 19:20
Pretty much all of them have lifetime warranties. I went with SWR. Had I have had more money, I would have gone with AAC.
I was contemplating getting the SWR Specwar or Saker and was curious if you feel the AAC is worth the extra money or what issues you've had .

UWone77
12 February 2014, 20:03
I like Surefire Cans as they have the smallest POI shift. I like AAC cans too because they're cheaper and similar in performance with the Surefire in sound reduction.

If I could only have 1 can, it would be an AAC 762SDN6

One thing to consider IF and that's a big IF... new legislation comes down eliminating the trust option and everyone has to get CLEO sign offs, I think you'll see a lot of suppressor manufacturers going out of business along with that "lifetime" warranty. You may want to buy suppressors from a manufacturer that will still be around if that happens. Just a thought.

tappedandtagged
13 February 2014, 12:14
I was contemplating getting the SWR Specwar or Saker and was curious if you feel the AAC is worth the extra money or what issues you've had .

Specwar is just about as quite, but not as light or short as some of the higher end ones. Its only limited full auto rated as well. For my purposes (hog hunting) I couldn't justify the extra costs for a higher full auto rated silencer when I'm not going to be doing endless mag dumps. I bought what I could justify for my purpose. I'm not an operator or military and my PD isn't going to let me use it at work, so I bought the best can I could justify. The Specwar will suffice for most people IMO, but if you want the BEST, the Specwar isn't it. It is a GOOD can, but there are smaller lighter cans out there with just as good db ratings, you'll just pay a lot more for it. The Specwar was $825 including tax stamp and everything. If I had more money to burn, I would've gotten a smaller lighter can, but I purchased the Specwar because it was the best I could find in the mid priced range. I haven't gotten it in hand yet, but I did put 200 rounds through it with my SOT and am quite happy with it.

tact
15 February 2014, 04:05
Saker 762 will be head and shoulders above the rest.

rob_s
15 February 2014, 05:05
Saker 762 will be head and shoulders above the rest.

Based on.......?

rob_s
15 February 2014, 05:19
After buying several, I have found silencers to be a complete waste of money for the things I do with guns. [BD]

Because of that, I wouldn't buy, or won't buy another, until someone makes a can that meets the following criteria. Most of these features can be found in one can or another, but no one can has them all that I'm aware of.
-<7" OAL
-1.5" OD
-<16 oz (<14 better)
-7.62 bore
-muzzle brake mounts in 5.56 and 7.62 with all common thread patterns (AR and AK)
-flash hider mounts in 5.56 and 7.62 with all common thread patterns (AR and AK)

Basically, bore this out and make mounts in 7.62 that fit it, or lengthen the throat so that it will accept 7.62 mounts.

http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_18&products_id=166

With a can like that I can spread the waste across many caliber so and many platform systems.

tact
15 February 2014, 05:20
Based on.......?

Well since everyone else is throwing out opinions based on experience I thought I would play.

AAC rests on their name cool marketing factor and has crappy QD mount but reasonably priced. Surefire great mount tough but certainly not as quiet as many others and elevated price. Tbac well nothing bad to say but a bit too long.....Etc etc there is a compromise with every can put there but having used the. Saker. 556 and seeing the 762 at shot I truly believe it will outperform nearly all of the big names. Nice size, good DB reduction , good mount, decent price.

Not really trying debate this.... Everyone likes what they like and have different likes dislikes and requirements.....that's all.

rob_s
15 February 2014, 05:33
So you metered it with your ear and decided to believe their marketing hype over the other guys'.

Gotcha.

PistolPayIra
15 February 2014, 05:59
i just went with w YHM can, i like the qaulty of their products and the value plus you do not have to buy their mount seperatly..just my 2 cents

tact
15 February 2014, 10:45
So you metered it with your ear and decided to believe their marketing hype over the other guys'.

Gotcha.

I love guys like you .....

MoxyDave
15 February 2014, 12:34
I have been using a Gemtech M402 for many years. It's a cheap, sealed, thread-on can with no special features. I love it. The only drawback is that it will unscrew after extended firing. I could probably cure that with some Rocksett if I felt the need.

I also have an AAC SPR/M4 that I hardly use. It's a much nicer can on paper, but I hardly use it. Why? It's heavier, longer, and has a larger OD. It uses the AAC MITRE mount with the stupid tuning fork that goes "PINGGGGGG!" every time you fire. I hate shooting it. For some kind of spec-ops ninja, it would probably make more sense. For me shooting cans in the woods, or steel on the range, it's retarded.

I just received a couple 22Sparrow .22lr suppressors I've been waiting on for nearly a year. During that time I shot those at the range far more than I ever did my 5.56 suppressors. 22lr is cheap and with a short pistol barrel, most ammo at my elevation is subsonic. It's just way more fun for me than the 5.56 cans.

Don't believe the marketing hype. Think about what you really need, and how much of your money will be sitting unused in a safe for the rest of your life (who ever sells NFA stuff? not me ...)

Lastly, I keep my suppressors matched to their hosts. When you move them around you have to re-zero the host, or live with the altered point of impact. If you're on a tight budget, maybe buy a .30 cal can and use it on everything. However if you're really on a tight budget, why the hell are you buying a suppressor? Just thinking aloud ...

UWone77
16 February 2014, 01:41
Some people find suppressors useful, some do not. Just remember, if you do decide to buy one, you're basically married to it for the rest of your life. You can sell NFA items, but you'll likely get pennies on the dollar for it. So for a rest of your life purchase, buy the best you can afford.

Jerry R
18 February 2014, 17:21
I have a pair of AAC M4-2000 Mod-8 suppressors; 5.56 and 6.8. I also strongly agree with UWone77 in that you won't be swapping these on Criag's List. Looking back, I would do it again but might take the sage advice offered by GriffonSec, "Buy a 30 cal and use the one can on all platforms."

I did a lot of research - vendors web sites and YouTube videos. I looked at DB ratings, size, weight, construction materials, and cost. AAC won my vote based on price/performance. Based on my personal experience with those two, I also bought a Ti-Rant in .45 and a prodigy in .22. A repeat buy is the best endorsement I can give.

I can't say "who is best" with my very limited sample size, but I "can" say I would make the same purchases again.

UWone77
19 February 2014, 11:18
For those looking for a suppressor made with quality parts, from a name in the game, look at the upcoming AAC 556-SD and 762-SD

Sak007
23 February 2014, 12:01
Does anybody know if the AAC SDN6 will mount to a Specwar Trifecta mount ?

UWone77
24 February 2014, 01:37
Does anybody know if the AAC SDN6 will mount to a Specwar Trifecta mount ?

My sources say... No.

tact
24 February 2014, 03:30
Agreed, it will not. What you don't like the tuning fork?

Sak007
24 February 2014, 16:14
Agreed, it will not. What you don't like the tuning fork?
I want the Saker 7.62 but they have no arrival date so my in stock option is the SDN6 but I don't want to miss my chance on getting a suppressor waiting on an unknown due date with our current political climate .

tact
24 February 2014, 16:14
I was told next month by two different dealers and a Silencerco rep.

Sak007
24 February 2014, 17:19
Well it looks like it's tuning fork time or deal with the larger Specwar boo hoo first world problems .

UWone77
24 February 2014, 17:27
Well it looks like it's tuning fork time or deal with the larger Specwar boo hoo first world problems .

If you go with the SDN6, why not just go with the Brakeout ?

Sak007
24 February 2014, 20:18
I 'm open for suggestions on the SDN6 . Is it comparable or better then the Specwar or Saker .Also I really liked the Trifecta mount vs the Blackout so that was my only nit pick issue .

SteveL
2 March 2014, 12:42
After buying several, I have found silencers to be a complete waste of money for the things I do with guns. [BD]

Because of that, I wouldn't buy, or won't buy another, until someone makes a can that meets the following criteria. Most of these features can be found in one can or another, but no one can has them all that I'm aware of.
-<7" OAL
-1.5" OD
-<16 oz (<14 better)
-7.62 bore
-muzzle brake mounts in 5.56 and 7.62 with all common thread patterns (AR and AK)
-flash hider mounts in 5.56 and 7.62 with all common thread patterns (AR and AK)

Basically, bore this out and make mounts in 7.62 that fit it, or lengthen the throat so that it will accept 7.62 mounts.

With a can like that I can spread the waste across many caliber so and many platform systems.

Rob which suppressors do you have and what about them is it you find to be inadequate?

The reason I'm asking is that I just efiled for my first SBR. I've also been debating on buying a suppressor for it. However, after seeing (or hearing) a few of them in action I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be so now I'm second guessing buying one. Overall I'm not sure if the added length, weight, and level of suppression is worth the trouble and money. Before I was absolutely sure I was going to buy one, but now I'm straddling the fence.

ETA: After looking at your list of criteria again I guess my question is pretty well answered already. I would guess you find most cans either too big, too heavy, or rule them out because you can't move them to guns of different calibers. The last one wouldn't apply to me as I'm only interested in a dedicated 5.56 can.

I would still be curious to know which cans you have though.

KevinBLC
7 March 2014, 02:00
I 'm open for suggestions on the SDN6 . Is it comparable or better then the Specwar or Saker .Also I really liked the Trifecta mount vs the Blackout so that was my only nit pick issue .

So did you decide yet? I'm thinking about getting a suppressor this year.

UWone77
7 March 2014, 17:46

I'd get the 762SDN-6. Great overall can for multiple caliber use. It's also priced fairly well if you look around. Another option is the AAC 762-SD. MSRP is $650. It's longer than the 762SDN-6, but it's also a lot cheaper. If I could only have 1 can, this would probably be my pick. In fact when I first bought a can, that was what Rainier Arms recommended to me, but got a M4-1000 instead. Ended up having to buy both, so don't make the same mistake I did. I thought I was saving money at first.

tact
8 March 2014, 01:12

The Saker uses a material 30% stronger than the traditional Inconel in their baffles. I was specifically told that it is rated to handle a 7" 5.56 and 300 BO all the way up to a 300RUM. The SDN6 can't. The Saker762 seems to be more versatile and an all around better product to include the mounting system.

Sak007
8 March 2014, 21:27
So did you decide yet? I'm thinking about getting a suppressor this year. I went ahead and got a Silencerco Osprey from Cascade Arsenal and am waiting to see if the 7.62 Saker drops this month . Now the waiting game begins & I just read the SBR bill passed so more tax stamps coming soon .

SteveL
9 March 2014, 11:56
I went ahead and got a Silencerco Osprey from Cascade Arsenal and am waiting to see if the 7.62 Saker drops this month . Now the waiting game begins & I just read the SBR bill passed so more tax stamps coming soon .

What bill are you talking about and do you have a link?

UWone77
9 March 2014, 18:13
What bill are you talking about and do you have a link?

Steve,

This was for Washington State residents, who were restricted from having SBR's since 1994. State law is now in line with Federal Law for obtaining SBR's.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5956

SteveL
9 March 2014, 18:26
Steve,

This was for Washington State residents, who were restricted from having SBR's since 1994. State law is now in line with Federal Law for obtaining SBR's.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5956

I was aware of the WA state issue going on with SBRs. It was the comment about no more tax stamps that got my attention. I haven't heard anything about those going away (and that would be a federal thing) so that's why I asked.

UWone77
9 March 2014, 18:38
I was aware of the WA state issue going on with SBRs. It was the comment about no more tax stamps that got my attention. I haven't heard anything about those going away (and that would be a federal thing) so that's why I asked.

Ahhhh,

Ok, looks like he wrote "more tax stamps" coming soon, I guess I could see how you really wanted to see it as "no more tax stamps" which would be preferable!

SteveL
9 March 2014, 19:28
Ahhhh,

Ok, looks like he wrote "more tax stamps" coming soon, I guess I could see how you really wanted to see it as "no more tax stamps" which would be preferable!

I see now. It looks like I misread the post. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

I'm that guy now who posts a stupid question without carefully reading the pertinent posts first.

UWone77
13 March 2014, 00:57
I went ahead and got a Silencerco Osprey from Cascade Arsenal and am waiting to see if the 7.62 Saker drops this month . Now the waiting game begins & I just read the SBR bill passed so more tax stamps coming soon .

Silencerco has stated that Saker 762's will be shipping at the end of the month, so whenever your favorite dealer gets their Form 3 transfers... I'm thinking June.

Sak007
13 March 2014, 15:28
I will contact Chip at Cascade unless Rainier want's to give me a package deal on a Saker & SanTan sbr lower[:D][:D][:D]

phirehawk
14 March 2014, 04:52

-<7" OAL
-1.5" OD
-<16 oz (<14 better)
-7.62 bore

If you're willing to stretch your length requirement by .625", then YHM listened and delivered:
https://yhm.net/30-cal-ultra-light-tactical.html

Wolverine
23 June 2014, 17:22
IDK what's best but the wait is killing me.. I'm going with a Osprey for my Hk45 because I'm limited on sights. My bro has an AAC that works pretty good.