PDA

View Full Version : Flip caps up, or flip caps down?

Vern1968
1 February 2013, 08:54
I have an Aimpoint ML3 and originally had the caps flipping up when opening. After looking at many well repected people's AR's I've noticed many of them flipping downward. What is the general consensus on what position they should rest and does it really matter besides looks. I realize that flipping upwards would slightly block some view over the weapon but it is very minor. Flipping downward I did notice that after installing my Magpul Gen 2 BUIS's that if there was an optic failure, flipping up the rear sight would close the cap to the optic. Thanks and I hope I didn't just answer my own question.

zero7one
1 February 2013, 11:01
I think that it is all in a matter of preference, but like you said, if you have a BUIS and you flip down, your BUIS may be blocked.

Stickman
1 February 2013, 20:25
Flipping them up blocks more of your vision, if this isn't a concern for the way you use your carbine, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are clearing houses, I would recommend putting them down, or ripping them off altogether (I did).

mlosi762
2 February 2013, 06:15
Flipping downward I did notice that after installing my Magpul Gen 2 BUIS's that if there was an optic failure, flipping up the rear sight would close the cap to the optic. Thanks and I hope I didn't just answer my own question.

If the rear cover is interfering with your BUIS, you may want to move the optic forward (towards the muzzle) on your rail, then it will be a non-issue.

AKDoug
2 February 2013, 10:55
If flip up. It's a carry over from my hunting rifles. Flipping down allows the caps to fill with rain water and debris.

Koshinn
2 February 2013, 23:15
How about... Flip right