PDA

View Full Version : Small gun safe for SBR and Suppressor

LanceCriminal
4 February 2013, 11:36
I am currently looking for a small sized safe that is just big enough to fit a broken down SBR and a suppressor. I currently live in a 3-story duplex, and plan on moving within a year or so, thus I am not in the market for a 300+ lb safe for 20 guns. I just want one that I can break my rifle down, upper and lower, and stuff it in the safe when I am out of town. My AR upper would be a 12.5" barrel, with a brake on the end, so I'm not sure how overall tall/wide the safe needs to be to fit the upper/lower in if broken down. I am not storing any other guns in there, except my AAC M4/SPR suppressor. I am also not looking to break the bank, I have a baby en route and finances have been tight. Any thoughts, recommendations, or product linkies would be greatly appreciated!

MoxyDave
4 February 2013, 14:14
I was researching safes some time ago and came across this. I think it might fit your needs:

http://www.deansafe.com/sentry-safe-home-defense-center.html

LanceCriminal
4 February 2013, 15:24
It's a bit more (size and cost) than I was thinking, but it's certainly smaller than the monster vaults on Cabela's. If I could find something half the height, it would be about what I was thinking. But then again, a safe like that might keep me set for some time until I need a monster for the rest of my rifles. I will put that one on the list if my budget can allow it.

csmith
4 February 2013, 18:04
I picked up a $100 Sentinel in the interim until I could go with a larger/heavier safe. Keep in mind, something as small and inexpensive as I believe you're looking for is more a lockable storage cabinet than a safe. It's more purpose built to keep children away than intruders/thieves.

Stack-On Sentinel (http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/14710131?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb)

LanceCriminal
5 February 2013, 05:48
I mainly want to ensure that when I am away my NFA items are inaccessible, especially since right now we have to get friends to let the dogs out. Trusting someone to come to my house when I am away is not something I take lightly, so it's less preventing people I know from playing with/stealing my NFA stuff/guns, and more legally protecting them and myself from any sort of "possession" legalities where they would have access while I was not in "control" of the weapon. As you mention it though, I guess a solid gun cabinet could do the trick, maybe I can hide it in the basement, there are some spots I don't think anyone would frankly look even if they had plenty of time. My dream is at some point when we return to the Texas homeland I can build a proper walk-in armory, or at least get a monster fireproof safe that's bolted into the concrete floor and has almost zero chance of going anywhere.

csmith
5 February 2013, 17:51
My dream is at some point when we return to the Texas homeland I can build a proper walk-in armory, or at least get a monster fireproof safe that's bolted into the concrete floor and has almost zero chance of going anywhere.

Heh, you and me both.

The Sentinel (and similar cabinets) are capable of being bolted down/to the wall, but you could probably be inside of them with one swing of an axe. They're also light enough that I can lift mine bear-hug style with an AR, 2 .22 rifles and a Remington 700 inside. Just food for thought.