PDA

View Full Version : When should I buy?

dnabryant
12 February 2013, 20:13
Looking for opinions here? I do not have an AR-15, but I've decided I want to get one. Timing is pretty bad as prices have gone through the roof. So I've heard over the past few days that an assault weapons ban is unlikely to make it through the Senate when all is said and done, even though it may be in the initial bill. With that in mind, am I better to wait the bill out? Right now what I'd like to get is a Colt LE6920. I've heard that prior to Newtown, these could be bought at Walmart for around $1050? I went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago and these were $2,500+. After legislation is passed, and if an AWB is not are part of it as I am hoping, will prices return to this level? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stickman
12 February 2013, 21:23
The 6920 is a fine carbine, but I'm not sure prices will ever return to what they were before.

Eric
12 February 2013, 21:27
There's nothing but speculation available right now, but if you can find a quality AR that is at or near MSRP, I would grab it. Some Walmarts carry firearms and those that do have not increased their price. However, availability is extraordinarily limited. They might only get a few rifles in during the month and they are gone almost immediately.

Prices are all over the place right now and I anticipate that will continue for some time. Distributors will be trying to cover existing orders for a long time, but product is being shipped daily.

GOST
13 February 2013, 04:40
Some of the Wal-Marts are allowing people to sign up on a waiting list. My buddy bought a Colt 6920 two weeks ago from them for $1069. They said that normally they would get two or three a week, but this was their first one since before Christmas.

GriffonSec
13 February 2013, 05:11
My local Wally World here in Florida has them trickle in, along with a Smith or two, and are selling them at the same price. No "Lists" though.

My brother is a LEO in Nashville, and they just authorized (finally) all officers to carry a patrol carbine in their vehicle once they implement their new training program in March. He's been looking for one for quite a while and ran across a local gun shop with a Sig M400 for around 950, no LEO discount, and picked it up. I kept after him to get the Colt when he could at a Walmart, but he wanted to be through the first class.

Patience is going to be the key right now I think....

dnabryant
13 February 2013, 07:17
Thanks for all the responses. I thank your right, patience is the key, and I hadn't even thought of visiting the local Walmarts... brain fart. Thanks.

cyp
13 February 2013, 12:13
I'm new to the forum so I understand I won't get a ton of credit yet, but my advice would be to poke around and call everyone you can think of. Don't support the guys who are jacking up prices a ridiculous amount. Remember, its not the manufacturers that are jacking up prices (not yet at least), its usually the gun shops and personal sales. Like stated above, if you can find one that is MSRP or close, I'd jump on it. You never know when you are going to be able find one again. Oh and support your local gun shops!! I am guilty of it too but I try to avoid wally world if I can.

MoxyDave
13 February 2013, 13:24
Check all the small "mom & pop" gun shops in your area too. Many of them in my area have consignment sales and used items available. I saw some older Colt rifles at a local shop just the other day ...

csmith
13 February 2013, 16:59
Check all the small "mom & pop" gun shops in your area too. Many of them in my area have consignment sales and used items available. I saw some older Colt rifles at a local shop just the other day ...

Big +1, for the most part the local shops here in the Springs are playing nice. They all have a core customer group that would most likely vanish quickly if they decided to start scalping to make a quick buck.

FortTom
13 February 2013, 17:11
As an aside, pick up all of the 5.56 ammo you can. Rare around here and on the 'net. I saw Obama's B.S. coming long before the Sandy Hook tragedy. And I warned people that in his second term, with nothing to lose, he'd be rabid on gun control (repackaged as gun violence prevention). Aurora and Sandy Hook was all the opportunistic liberals and Obama zombies needed, a genuine tragic event, having nothing to do with gun's per se, but exactly the catalyst they needed.

I was hoarding commercial ammo, way before then. Mag's too. My "never fail" supplier of brass, finally emailed me and told me they were removing me from the 'waiting list" because they saw no brass coming anytime in the future. Fortunately I had a 500 pc box, and found a 1K piece box that I bought some time back, put in my storage closet and just recently found it. .223 or 5.56 ammo cannot be found around here, anywhere, except by a few scabs trying to hawk it off for 50 bucks a box of 20.

And people called me "paranoid", one of which I didn't like at all from the start, actually had the cajones to ask me to load a few hundred rounds out of my stash, if he "paid me". Yeah right! Anyway, it'll do no good if you get a new rifle, and can't find ammo, so grab it wherever you can. If this thing calms down, and the supplies start coming in again, nothing lost, maybe a little cash.

Good luck, whatever you do.

FT.

philpac33
19 February 2013, 00:44
I agree that patience is important but know that it is possible to find quality arms for a reasonable price. It's been a ritual of mine to check the ads on one of the local firearm forums each night for the past year or so. A lot of rifles are still overpriced but, for example, last week I came across a nicely equipped Rainier Arms upper/lower complete rifle for $1250. I would have bought it had I not already been committed to a new rifle I had being built for me. You have options but you're going to have to work for it. Good luck.

Zeake
19 February 2013, 17:33
Find a stripped lower as that is the base that the rifle can be built from. It is the most important part and they can be had right now in several places.

Zeake
19 February 2013, 18:08
http://www.blackwatertactical.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NT15S Awesome looking and in stock. I think this is a great one to buy.