PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense and Recreational Shooting Lever Action Recommendation

Deckard
13 February 2013, 03:20
I've been thinking about getting a lever action for home defense and recreational shooting because of the current situation. I'm not sure what to get. At first I planned on getting a Marlin but heard that their QC has diminished considerably when acquired by Remington. I know nothing about lever action rifles or what to look for. I'd like something easy to find and recently made. I'm not sure what caliber I should be looking for. Any recommendations and advice?

Thanks in advance.

Flatlander
13 February 2013, 07:30
Personally, I'd get a Marlin 1894C in 357 or 44 Mag mfr'd prior to the Remington takeover. I think but can't recall for certain that they'll have a JM stamp on the barrel. I wouldn't worry about being of recent vintage much as the older Marlin '94's are just fine. A 30-30 is hard to beat but I have had some difficulty getting them to run fast without a bit of hiccuping.

Flatlander
13 February 2013, 07:41
My reasoning against Winchester is strictly due to the difficulty of taking one down to its components and putting it back together. Marlins are easy and tough.

My reasoning against the current Remington manufacture comes from trying to find a rifle of that vintage with a front sight not canted over one way or the other. I do have one 336 30-30 of Remington manufacture that is fine, even in terms of wood to metal fit, but I am increasingly inclined to think that I got lucky.

Deckard
14 February 2013, 19:53
Thanks for the advice Flatlander,

I'm thinking about getting a Winchester model 94 in 30-30. However, if I can find a pre-Remington Marlin 1894 in .357 I'll probably pick that up. I saw videos of new Marlins and they had canted sights, improperly installed stock, and a rough lever. I don't know if this is true but, someone said Marlin employees sabotaged the machines when they were taken over and let go.

Stickman
14 February 2013, 23:29
I have a .357 Marlin lever action carbine. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I have no doubt it would work.

I almost gave that little carbine away to a convent of nuns for protection.... but that is another story.

Aragorn
15 February 2013, 15:39
I have a .357 Marlin lever action carbine. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I have no doubt it would work.

I almost gave that little carbine away to a convent of nuns for protection.... but that is another story.

Oh do tell... lol

jbjh
28 February 2013, 01:11

It might not be the overall best choice, but unless you are in law enforcement (and I know you are Stick), these days the lever action is likely to be more defensible in a court of law. It shouldn't make a difference, but would you rather have a prosecutor wailing away to the jury about how "evil" your AR is, or would you rather explain how your grabbed your Annie Oakley Special out of the closet because you feared for your life?

Flatlander
28 February 2013, 05:55
I would rather have had the best tool for the job. Other factors tend to sink a criminal defendant.

jbjh
28 February 2013, 07:47
I would rather have had the best tool for the job. Other factors tend to sink a criminal defendant.

I agree. But all things being equal, I don't think you'd be less well-armed with a gun that spits out 357 magnums.

Flatlander
28 February 2013, 08:02
Guess it depends on the load and personal preference. I've used 125 gr JHP out of a carbine with good success, and others say 180 grain handloads with Lil Gun powder get very close to 30-30 ballistics, but I prefer velocity. I'm not arguing against a lever gun, have several of them myself, and if it'll feed a cartridge every time you jack the lever, it would be - my second choice.