PDA

View Full Version : New member and owner

cyp
13 February 2013, 12:04
Hi all,

Just stopping in to say hello. I have been reading and creepin' for a little while now and thought I would pony up and join. I am new to the AR world, and the rifle community for that matter as well. Have been shootin' pistols and shotguns for awhile and decided I wanted to get into the AR side of things in November of last year. I bought my first AR early December, have yet to shoot it but another forum I am on is having its annual range day down here in NC later this month.

My weapon of choice was a "budget AR", I picked up a CORE 15 Scout model, which is a version of their base M4 without a chrome lined barrel. 16" 1:7 twist chambered in 5.56. It pretty much came bone stock, flat top upper and your standard front sight/gas block with no rear sights.

Right now I have an NC STAR P4 Sniper scope mounted, I know its not top notch but it was given to me as a gift and it works for now. I'm sure I will upgrade later down the road as I plan to add a red dot optic.

Still playing around with different ideas of where I want to go with this rifle, it will mainly be a range gun but I plan on taking some carbine classes in the future once funds start to build up. We have a local guy who does some great stuff, building a large range near by and teaches some great intermediate to advanced classes.

Just realized I'm rambling on so I'll cut that out and leave you guys with a picture. Looking forward to the conversations and learning from you guys as well. Thanks again!!

CP

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/imthinkinrbs/77DC9A2D-909A-4809-B403-AB5C5C9D3C51-4833-0000034F5A4E896D_zps18ee8c8d.jpg

Edited for feets!

Vern1968
13 February 2013, 16:33
Nice looking stuff. I can tell you how much information I've learned off this site. Claasy, knowledgeable people in here.

csmith
13 February 2013, 17:10
Toes. [BD]

Welcome to Weapon Evolution, any possible modification you could want to make is probably here.

UWone77
13 February 2013, 18:10
Glad you got your feet into the pic. Wouldn't be a picture without some feet.

FortTom
13 February 2013, 18:48
Looks like you have a great start going......You don't need every expensive doo-dad on the market to be welcome here. If it goes bang every time, I'd say your cool...very nice people here, and after shooting the M16/CAR/M4 since circa 1975, I'm humbled all the time, on how knowledgeable people here are, and sometimes, comparativly how little i know. Sometimes I feel like I just started yesterday...and if you've got a question, no matter how basic it may seem, just ask. This place is loaded with real PRO's, and you'll get an answer or a solution in short order. Great people here.
But yeah, you've got to do something about those feet in the picture thing.....[:D]

FT.[:D]

Hatter
13 February 2013, 18:55
Glad you got your feet into the pic. Wouldn't be a picture without some feet.

Hey, feet are better than the recent "thumb" pic!!!!!!

Welcome!

What's with the apparent double mount on the optic? Or is that just me not knowing what I'm looking at?

zero7one
13 February 2013, 20:38
Welcome to WEVO. Don't be afraid to ask questions as we are here to help out where we can.

Stickman
13 February 2013, 22:40
Cyp,

In the world of haves and have nots, you have a weapon and that is a great start. Getting more familiar with your weapon is always a good thing. As you do, I think the first thing you will find is that you cheek weld (where you cheek and stock meet) is way off with that scope mounted the way it is. Don't be stunned if you decide to pull the riser off and mount it direct to the receiver.

Welcome to the board, good to have you here. Don't worry about the feet, at least you had the decency to put socks on!!

GOST
14 February 2013, 03:52
Welcome

cyp
14 February 2013, 05:57
Thanks for the welcome guys. My bad on the feets! I'll learn to edit soon. Riser for the optic, not sure really. Scope doesn't co-witness very well with the FSP and I am just learning the basics for rifle shooting with a scope. I'll play around with it some more.

While I have you guys here and paying attention, I gots a question for you. I broke down the rifle to clean it prior to my range day next weekend and noticed what looks like gold flakes where the bolt meets the chamber??? Not sure if thats exactly right but I tried to take a picture for you guys. Don't know if this is normal, no round has ever been chambered in the rifle since I got it brand new.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/imthinkinrbs/78E7AFFD-B1A9-4F9B-8843-6DC9B8CBC6D8-4833-0000034F6DFFE705_zps3cbce2b2.jpg

Stickman
14 February 2013, 11:58
My guess is that it is just some brass from when it was test fired.

csmith
14 February 2013, 18:00
What were you answering, Stick?

Stickman
14 February 2013, 19:16
What were you answering, Stick?

The question above mine asking about flakes found in the weapon.

browcs
15 February 2013, 10:10
Hi cyp...welcome to the site and the world of AR ownership.

FortTom
15 February 2013, 13:51
Hey, feet are better than the recent "thumb" pic!!!!!!

Welcome!

Hell, I just got over the nightmares with the "thumb" picture, and you had to bring that back up again?.....[BD]

FT...[:)]

travk1234
18 February 2013, 09:55
Stick is right. It is just some brass from when it is test fired. If you clean the barrel real good your bound to find some powder residue i bet. Dont worry, Its normal. I would also agree with what the person above stated with the riser. You might try the sight without the riser and see how that does for you. Me personally, I would lose the sight and throw on some irons or even a MBUS. I dont know where you stand as far as previous knowledge on shooting. Work on your fundamentals. before you start dropping money on accessories. Once those are solid, or you understand the concepts really well, then add optics, rails, ect. Like I said, thats my personal opinion. Back up Iron Sights with that optic are a must. This should be your next step (after ammo of course).

csmith
18 February 2013, 10:29
The question above mine asking about flakes found in the weapon.

That post (and the original) just now popped up in this thread for me. There was your post, then GOST and you again. Quit playing with my mind WEVO.

mlosi762
18 February 2013, 19:14
That post (and the original) just now popped up in this thread for me. There was your post, then GOST and you again. Quit playing with my mind WEVO.

Exact same thing with me.... Was wondering what was going on. But I can see everything now too. Hmm

cyp
19 February 2013, 08:33
Stick is right. It is just some brass from when it is test fired. If you clean the barrel real good your bound to find some powder residue i bet. Dont worry, Its normal. I would also agree with what the person above stated with the riser. You might try the sight without the riser and see how that does for you. Me personally, I would lose the sight and throw on some irons or even a MBUS. I dont know where you stand as far as previous knowledge on shooting. Work on your fundamentals. before you start dropping money on accessories. Once those are solid, or you understand the concepts really well, then add optics, rails, ect. Like I said, thats my personal opinion. Back up Iron Sights with that optic are a must. This should be your next step (after ammo of course).

Some back up rear sights are next on the list of things to buy. Only reason the scope is there is because it was a gift this christmas. Not a lot of experience with the rifle shooting. Been mainly in the handgun world up until now. Have shot a couple ARs, an SKS, and MP5 maybe a total of 300-400 rounds between the three.