PDA

View Full Version : Magpul to leave Colorado if HB13-1224 passes

John Hwang
15 February 2013, 22:43
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
MAGPUL INDUSTRIES ANNOUNCES IT WILL LEAVE COLORADO IF GUN BILL PASSES

MOVE WOULD COST STATE 600 JOBS, $85 MILLION

Denver, Colorado – February 15th, 2013 – Magpul Industries, an Erie, Colorado, based manufacturer of firearms accessories, announced today that it will be forced to leave the state if House Bill 1224, which would ban standard capacity magazines, becomes law. The announcement was made to Governor Hickenlooper, state legislators, members of the media, and in a full-page advertisement to appear in the Denver Post on Sunday.

Richard Fitzpatrick, Founder, President, and CEO of Magpul Industries, said that regardless of any amendments that may be worked into the bill, he will no longer be able to continue to do business in Colorado if his core product is made illegal.

“Our company could not, in good conscience, continue to manufacture our products in a state where law-abiding citizens are prohibited from purchasing and owning them. ” Fitzpatrick said. “The passage of this bill will do nothing to enhance public safety, but will force us to immediately begin taking our business to another state.”

A proponent of the bill argued that with the amendment language, the choice to stay or leave was up to Magpul. Fitzpatrick responded, “Our relationship with our customers across the country would be severely damaged if this bill passes and we stay. We’ve already heard word of potential boycotts if that happens. They (legislators) really need to understand that our customer base is as passionate about freedoms as we are, and staying here if this bill passes would cripple the company. Make no doubt about it…we have no choice, and would be forced to leave in order to save the business.”

Magpul cited the example of the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show, which was canceled earlier this year after the organizers announced that it would not permit a popular category of firearm, like the ones Magpul makes accessories for, in the show. Public outcry from the customer base forced exhibitors to withdraw from participation, causing the cancellation of the show, and an estimated loss of $70 million of show revenue for hotels, restaurants, merchants, and other businesses in Pennsylvania, where the show was to be held.

Magpul Industries directly employs 200 people, supports another 400 supply-chain jobs, and contributes over $85 million annually to Colorado’s economy. Doug Smith, Chief Operating Officer for Magpul, says that it is a difficult position to be in. “We could choose to stay in a state that wants our jobs and revenue, but not our products, and lose half the jobs we are fighting to save, or potentially the entire business, when our customers stop buying. Or, we can take the company and those 600 jobs out of Colorado to continue our growth and the growth of American manufacturing in a state that shares our values. This is not really a choice. It’s an unfortunate and inevitable result of the actions of the Legislature if this bill passes.”

Magpul was started over a decade ago by Fitzpatrick, a former U.S. Marine. It has become one of Colorado’s fastest growing businesses, successfully marketing its products to American and allied military forces, police departments, sporting goods stores, and thousands of responsible private citizens. Fitzpatrick says that the rich western culture and strong values of individual freedom and responsibility, traditionally found in Colorado, were one of the reasons the company chose to remain in the state.

“It is heartbreaking to me, my employees, and their families, to think that we will be forced to leave,” Fitzpatrick said. “But if HB13-1224 passes, we will simply have no choice.”

TripleBravo
16 February 2013, 05:50
I really hope this bill fails to pass, however I'm worried that the outlook is not good.

Seagunner
16 February 2013, 09:29
Watched the house session on the live feed yesterday. The Dems seem pretty confident through the whole debate.

CLBME
16 February 2013, 09:48
I too watched the live feed. I was frankly amazed by the support for the bill. Even more dismaying are the reports out of VP Biden calling lawmakers in CO .........................

http://news.yahoo.com/vp-lobbies-colo-approves-gun-control-measures-024402746.html

Watched the house session on the live feed yesterday. The Dems seem pretty confident through the whole debate.

csmith
16 February 2013, 10:39
Here's a fun fact. A number of the members of the CO state legislature at those meetings are carrying concealed weapons. In the Capitol building. Where it's illegal to carry a firearm. How's that for a slap in the face?

Aragorn
16 February 2013, 14:47
Here's a fun fact. A number of the members of the CO state legislature at those meetings are carrying concealed weapons. In the Capitol building. Where it's illegal to carry a firearm. How's that for a slap in the face?

The sad part of that is that it isn't surprising.

Magpul would be VERY secure here in Oklahoma...

FortTom
16 February 2013, 15:57
I think that we're going to see a lot of this shuffling around of jobs and manufacturing plants, depending how much clout the libs have in ramroding these bills down the throats of mfg companies and consumers. This is just a start, I do believe.

FT

csmith
16 February 2013, 16:09
I could see the numerous states between Washington/Oregon and Minnesota/Iowa becoming a bloc for a large portion of the firearms industry in the country if this continues. I'd love to say the south won't let this happen, but I didn't exactly see it coming in Colorado, either.

FortTom
16 February 2013, 20:38
I pretty darned sure they'd be welcomed in KY.....could probably get tax abatement for first five years to offset plant location costs..I'd love to see the jobs come here..!!

Eric
2 January 2014, 22:33
Magpul has announced they will be headed to Texas and Wyoming. (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/02/top-us-gun-magazine-producer-to-leave-colorado-over-gun-laws/)

FortTom
3 January 2014, 18:37
Magpul has announced they will be headed to Texas and Wyoming. (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/02/top-us-gun-magazine-producer-to-leave-colorado-over-gun-laws/)
Just read that on the news just minutes before logging in here. Another large company (I forget), is looking to move as a pre-emptive strike, to Texas possibly.
In my post a few up from here, I guessed that I thought a lot of this would start happening. It will go from Obama states to free states. I think I was right. Funny thing though, two CO State Senators recalled. That's going to put every single liberal butt in a burning painful rash as they approach the mid-term elections. Sorry, not trying to be political, but only as it applies to firearms ownership. No offense intended for those who do not agree with my guess on political outcomes this year.[wow]

FT.