PDA

View Full Version : Smith Enterprise Letter to Governor Cuomo Regarding Gun Control

John Hwang
18 February 2013, 23:07
http://www.smithenterprise.com/images/title02.gif

Smith Enterprise Letter to Governor Cuomo Regarding Gun Control
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224

Ron Smith
Smith Enterprise, Inc.
1701 West 10th Street, Suite 14
Tempe, Arizona 85281

Dear Governor Cuomo,

Over the last several decades, Smith Enterprise has sold various firearm related products to state agencies and police departments in New York. However, due to the changing political climate and anti-gun politices coming from your state, we are forced to make some changes in how we do business with your government agencies.

It is improper for us to sell items to state agencies and law enforcement that law-abiding citizens are not allowed to purchase. Effective immediatly Smith Enterprise will no longer sell items to your state government that you have outlawed your citizens to buy.

Until your state loosens your gun control laws and ensures these laws are back in line with the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution, Smith Enterprise will be forced to keep this policy.

At a time when crime is rampant and people are becoming more and more desperate due to the struggling economy, it is imperative that state and local governments support the people’s right to defend themselves from would-be attackers. The police have nothing to fear from law-abiding citizens with guns.

When you change your gun laws back to something more along the lines of what our country was founded on, please let me know and we will reopen our sales in your state to government agencies.

Sincerely,
Ron Smith
President
Smith Enterprise, Inc.

Stickman
19 February 2013, 16:32
NY Army National Guard is out as well evidently... which means if a company is going to do that they may as well refuse service to NJ, CA, MA and HI as well, to each agency and GOV organization as well. Those states are right along the same lines.

FortTom
19 February 2013, 17:19
I think that other opportunistic companies, especially those owned by overseas concerns, whose own countries have very restrictive, or non-existant, gun ownership laws, will definetly use this opportunity to fill those voids. FN, Glock, SIG, and many others come to mind.
Although I laud Smith's fortitude and conviction, spineless cowards and slobbering "orgasmic" liberals could care less. They, like criminals, will get their weapons through other channels.

FT

gatordev
19 February 2013, 17:55
NY Army National Guard is out as well evidently... which means if a company is going to do that they may as well refuse service to NJ, CA, MA and HI as well, to each agency and GOV organization as well. Those states are right along the same lines.

Something may have been lost in the internet translation, so bear with me...

A Smith Flash Hider is not illegal in CA (nor HI, I think, but it's been a few years since I've been stationed there). So how is the above relevant to those states? Again, I'm just trying to understand the argument.

Me, personally...I'm just waiting to PCS back to a less stress-inducing state for many more reasons than firearms, but also to hopefully to collect my NFA fun toys.

Stickman
19 February 2013, 18:59
Something may have been lost in the internet translation, so bear with me...

A Smith Flash Hider is not illegal in CA (nor HI, I think, but it's been a few years since I've been stationed there). So how is the above relevant to those states? Again, I'm just trying to understand the argument.

Me, personally...I'm just waiting to PCS back to a less stress-inducing state for many more reasons than firearms, but also to hopefully to collect my NFA fun toys.

You (you all not just you) are being placated like stupid sheep is what I'm saying. Hopefully that clears up any context.

Paulo_Santos
20 February 2013, 09:28
I was actually going to write the same thing that Dev wrote. Flash Hiders are not legal in the ban states, so the only people that could have owned flash hiders were the ones that were exempt, such as Police Departments. So I find it comical what Smith Enterprises is doing, since they couldn't sell to ban states anyway.

gatordev
20 February 2013, 16:19
You (you all not just you) are being placated like stupid sheep is what I'm saying. Hopefully that clears up any context.

And not by the state government, for once (if I'm understanding you correctly, which I think I am).

A question for you, along the lines of the other thread that's like this... Do you find what Magpul is threatening to do less "offensive" than the Larue/Smith/et al hubbub? I could see how you could make that argument. I understand if you don't feel it appropriate to comment, but was interested in your comments.

I was actually going to write the same thing that Dev wrote. Flash Hiders are not legal in the ban states, so the only people that could have owned flash hiders were the ones that were exempt, such as Police Departments. So I find it comical what Smith Enterprises is doing, since they couldn't sell to ban states anyway.

Again, I can only speak to CA (for better or worse) since I'm here at the moment, but FHs are COMPLETELY legal here. There's some legal Judo that took place to make it a non-issue (for the moment), so I'm guessing that's why CA is different than the other states in your neck of the woods.

Paulo_Santos
20 February 2013, 17:36
Again, I can only speak to CA (for better or worse) since I'm here at the moment, but FHs are COMPLETELY legal here. There's some legal Judo that took place to make it a non-issue (for the moment), so I'm guessing that's why CA is different than the other states in your neck of the woods.

I think the way that the laws are worded in the ban states is that you are allowed 2 evils. With an AR-15, you have a pistol grip and a removable magazine, so you can't have a flash hider, collapsible stock, bayonette lug, etc. I believe that in CA, you can't have a removable magazine, so you can have a pistol grip and one other evil feature. I'm not 100% sure on that so don't quote me.

Here in NJ a rifle like the FNH2000 doesn't have a pistol grip, so you can get them with a flash hider.

Deckard
20 February 2013, 21:59
If you have a detachable magazine you cannot have any evil feature in California. Fixing the mags allow us to have pistol grips, collapsible/folding stocks, flash hiders, thumbhole stocks, and forward grips. In California it doesn't matter how many features you have. If you have one feature with a detachable magazine it's an "assault weapon".

If you want to know more about these ridiculous rules http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

gatordev
22 February 2013, 20:48
I think the way that the laws are worded in the ban states is that you are allowed 2 evils. With an AR-15, you have a pistol grip and a removable magazine, so you can't have a flash hider, collapsible stock, bayonette lug, etc. I believe that in CA, you can't have a removable magazine, so you can have a pistol grip and one other evil feature. I'm not 100% sure on that so don't quote me.

For CA, what Deckard said. But I understand what you were saying earlier, now.