PDA

View Full Version : What are some options in "skinny" handguards?

Flatlander
19 February 2013, 13:31
I have Larue rails on all my rifles, and a CMMG Revolution handguard on my boy's 22LR upper. I really like that CMMG setup; at least, I could really like it on a "long haul" rifle. Also prefer having a fixed front sight though that may not be the wave of the future. I haven't shot anything but a 22LR with the Revolution handguard so really don't know how hot it gets. I've seen the Geissele and some others (like the handguards on the Larue OBR and Predatar) that don't appear to have a prayer of being in stock in the next year or so - but what am I missing out there that I need to look at?

I bought my boy a S&W M&P 15-22 ... lighter, which is good as he's only 8 ... so now have the CMMG for my very own [:)] and have pondered the notion of just robbing the Revolution from the 22. Might be a lot of work just to find that the handguard gets awfully hot ...

Stickman
19 February 2013, 16:42
I think the trend has been moving away from fat, heavy rails which use large locking collars for a long time. I'm not sure how companies making those are still in business. Once the DD Lite rail came out and became main stream, the dynamics of the rail world really changed. I can understand why companies copied KAC and their design, but things have certainly changed since KAC first developed them.

In the world of thinner handguards, you have A LOT of options. Midwest Industries has a few if you are looking to keep costs down, The Rainier Arms Evo variant steps up a notch, and DD, Big G, WC, Noveske and others all are making good ones. Centurion Arms is about to release a new model. Iif you are looking for the current "best", take a look at the Noveske NSR. I have a few and love them.

ETA- I almost forgot, Fortis MFG is worth a good look as well, very slim, but the same height as most other rails.

Flatlander
19 February 2013, 18:39
Thanks! I've looked those up and like Midwest and Noveskes ... and I really like that Wilson Combat TRIM. Sheesh! Haven't looked at Wilson's site in a LONG time! ... this gets mighty expensive over time if you let it :)

bcammons
20 February 2013, 20:37
I like my Troy vtac's. lock up solid and light weight.

philpac33
20 February 2013, 22:05
Second the Troy/VTAC Alpha.

Hmac
21 February 2013, 06:02
Waiting patiently (more or less) for NSR 9's to show up. I have one backordered at Midway for $255, another one backordered at Optics Planet for $324. Heh.

Optics Planet not in stock AND charging a premium well over MSRP? Who'd have thought?

Flatlander
21 February 2013, 10:50
I ordered the 9" Wilson Combat TRIM. Says its really easy to install.

Cold bore miracle
23 February 2013, 02:54
+1 for the Centurion Arms.

ronin3298
11 March 2013, 13:00
Has anyone had the chance to compare the Daniel Defense MFR to a Troy/VTAC Alpha? From a purely subjectively comparison it seems as though the Alpha's dimensions are trimmer than the MFR, but that could be just because the rails on the MFR extend further out from the handguard.

AR-10
12 March 2013, 18:16
Yes, I've had both the Troy and the DD MFR.

The MFR has a slightly larger diameter and definitely feels fatter in your hand.

The Troy Alpha rails are pretty slim, but you get used to them.

I prefer the Alphas because they work with a standard barrel nut and come in extended lengths.

Hmac
13 March 2013, 05:33
I've had this DD Lite 9.0 on this rifle for a couple of years. The diameter of it for me led me to adding the AFG to get a comfortable grip. Not an optimal grip for my support hand. I had ordered an NSR 9 back in December and installed it on the rifle the other day. Nice, solid lockup even without the pin. Removal of the DD Lite and installation of the NSR was straigthforward, although it did take every bit of 80 ft-lbs to get the nut lined up, even after picking the best direction. I like it a lot. I do note that it does get hot without gloves or rail covers. I think I will move the front sight back, however, so that I can mount a light - either a Brownells light in my Gear Sector mount or a TLR-1 at 12:00.

http://SSEquine.net/sbrslings2ss.jpg

http://SSEquine.net/noveskensr3s.jpg

sawman556
12 April 2013, 04:12
I had a 13" Alpha rail and now use the DD MFR 12.0. They are both around 1.75" OD. You won't get the Troy to fit a billet upper without removing the little tab thingy. Not a deal breaker but the MFR give you enough clearance. I also prefer the smoothness of the MFR but that is subjective. I doubt I'll ever go back to a full quad rail.

http://area7precision.us/images/mfr8.jpg

http://area7precision.us/images/mfr6.jpg