PDA

View Full Version : So I get this Wilson Combat TRIM rail in ...

Flatlander
27 February 2013, 19:01
and it looks really good. In prep for this endeavor I also got one of those Brownells bench blocks for ease of removal of the front sight base. I even read the instructions for the rail installation ... though not for the removal of the Daniel Defense rail that is on my gun, figuring I would make it up as I go along. I wanted a lower-profile "skinny" handguard for a Bravo 16" midlength of mine.

I hit an immediate snag when trying to lay the front sight base into the bench block, which one is prevented from doing by the rail. Not a real big deal as one can always improvise, but ...

the sheer difficulty of knocking those blasted taper pins out will drive me to drink. Are they this difficult to drive back in, assuming they ever get driven out in the first place?

As a farmer type, I get the notion of "bigger" hammer, but even farming I have been known to break and ruin stuff by overzealous application of a bigger hammer. I have not yet wrapped my head around moving up from my trusty 2-1/2 lb. hammer, especially when it is to be applied to a blasted little nail punch.

Wilson did warn me that it might be an issue. I figure I must get past this little hurdle one way or the other to move on down the road to self-sufficiency.

Stickman
27 February 2013, 19:23
Flatlander,

You are on the right track. use a larger hammer, and hit it HARD. You need to shock the pins out. Shallow or lighter blows will peen the heads of the pins. Especially if they are in there hard, you are going to have to really whack the things.

I'm assuming that you are hitting them from the right side, with the larger head coming out?

Stickman
27 February 2013, 19:23
Flatlander,

You are on the right track. use a larger hammer, and hit it HARD. You need to shock the pins out. Shallow or lighter blows will peen the heads of the pins. Especially if they are in there hard, you are going to have to really whack the things.

I'm assuming that you are hitting them from the right side, with the larger head coming out?

Flatlander
27 February 2013, 19:45
I can't tell one side having a bigger head than the other. Have been striking from the left side of the gun if looking down the barrel towards the muzzle.

I did, finally, find my bigger hammer and a bigger, brass punch.

Flatlander
27 February 2013, 19:54
After calipers applied, I have been hitting correctly. I need new bifocals too. But no luck in getting them to budge yet. Maybe I've hit my left hand too many times with a big hammer to really turn a big hammer loose on a small pin :)

I am starting to find a lot of reasons to just LOVE this Daniel Defense OmegaX ...

MoxyDave
28 February 2013, 11:07
Does anyone make a vice block for removing taper pins? Seems to me like it would be so much easier to just press them out instead of whacking those little buggers to death ...

Flatlander
28 February 2013, 11:38
I wonder if this Brownells bench block would work as a vice block. Was looking at this OmegaX rail and I think one can remove it without removing the front sight base (might be wrong about that) which would allow the front sight base to fit into the Brownells block properly. Not sure if the pins would protrude above the surface of the block, though.

Road-Warrior
28 February 2013, 13:29
Befoe you hurt yourself or damage the barrel, have you tried Kroil penetrating oil? You can get this from Brownells. Just apply a couple drops of Kroil to both sides of the pins, let it soak for a few minutes then try.

MoxyDave
28 February 2013, 13:33
I was thinking of a jig that you could put into a vice, into which you could install replaceable brass or mild steel pins that would protrude at the correct location(s) to remove taper pins. Heck you could make it universal and use it for those blasted trigger guard roll pins too. If someone patents it, give me 10% okay lol?

Flatlander
28 February 2013, 15:35
Tried break free. Don't have kroil but will get some before my next effort. A buddy suggested heat to break what may be loctite bonds.

Stickman
28 February 2013, 22:10
Tried break free. Don't have kroil but will get some before my next effort. A buddy suggested heat to break what may be loctite bonds.

I'm unaware of any company ever having used loctite on the FSB pins.

Stickman
28 February 2013, 22:10

I'm unaware of any company ever having used loctite on the FSB pins.

Flatlander
1 March 2013, 04:26
Then I am betting a more solid bench or vise will be the answer. thanks.

Road-Warrior
1 March 2013, 05:34
Instead of using flat punches, go to hardware store and pick up a nail-set punch. These will have a concave tip on them. These will help keep the punch on the pin, plus helps keep from deforming the pin.

Flatlander
1 March 2013, 06:04
Have one, thanks. I do believe this little experience has killed off my affinity for front sight bases, though :)

Stickman
1 March 2013, 12:18
Instead of using flat punches, go to hardware store and pick up a nail-set punch. These will have a concave tip on them. These will help keep the punch on the pin, plus helps keep from deforming the pin.

That is what I use.

AKDoug
1 March 2013, 21:48
You need another person to hold the whole thing steady and get down on a concrete floor for the really tough ones.