PDA

View Full Version : Ask A Cop Q&A

zero7one
4 March 2013, 10:04
Many of us on WEVO are Current or Prior Law Enforcement and in an attempt to further your knowledge, we welcome your questions as it pertains to the Law Enforcement profession.

Just a few ground rules:

- Don't ask Agency Specific Questions. We cannot obviously know everything about every agency, so try to keep your questions general.

- Don't make this your soapbox to complain about the services you received from a specific LEO. If you want to know why something happened a specific way, feel free to ask.

- We do not know every law from every single jurisdiction in the country, though we may be able to answer some.

- Do not ask questions that would jeopardize Operational Security (OPSEC). We will not answer your question.

Thanks and ask away.

chrisstophere
4 March 2013, 10:13
If carrying concealed legally and for some reason I got into a fist fight defending myself and the authorities got involved, would I be looking at any kind of legal trouble?

I've always been curious if this situation came up as I've always been taught to avoid any and all conflict when carrying.

zero7one
4 March 2013, 10:25
If carrying concealed legally and for some reason I got into a fist fight defending myself and the authorities got involved, would I be looking at any kind of legal trouble?

I've always been curious if this situation came up as I've always been taught to avoid any and all conflict when carrying.

As mentioned before, I can't answer how every jurisdiction would handle it, however, if you were in a self defense situation and used physical weapons (hands, feet, etc) to defend yourself while armed, I don't see it as being an issue. Actually if I were to come across someone who was involved in a fight and who advised me that he was armed, after temporarily securing the firearm and figuring all sides of the story out, I would be more apt to believe that the person carrying who did not use their firearm when not needed, was probably of sound mind and judgement. A firearm is great to have when you need it, but not to use when it is not reasonable and necessary.

***Just a caveat... Cops appreciate it when you let them know that you are armed, if the situation dictates. Just don't make any furtive movements towards the firearm or not comply to their directions after you advise them. If they are coming up to just say Hi, it's not necessary, but if you are involved in an incident where you would be a victim or suspect or have any chance of being detained in handcuffs, it's best to let the officer know. I have "secured" many firearms during my tour of duty and returned them after the contact was done. Don't freak out if the officer removes the magazine from the handgun and the ammo from the magazine. I typically place the handgun in one bag and the loose ammo and magazine in another. This is not because I am paranoid, but just taking precautions if I do not know who the person is and do not have a reason to take the firearm for safekeeping.

chrisstophere
4 March 2013, 14:12
This was great info, thanks.

2ATA
25 March 2013, 06:00
I've got a gear question. Probably not the direct intent of the thread, however, I much prefer the opinion on this site.

I'm trying to find a basketweave 6280 for duty use to fit a G22 with a mounted X300 Ultra. Has anyone found one or found something that works?

My current 6280 is a touch to short.

Eric
25 March 2013, 07:00
My current 6280 is a touch to short. In what way?

2ATA
25 March 2013, 07:45
The bezel of the Ultra hits the bottom of the holster, pushing the entire gun to high to allow the hammer strap to seat across the rear of the weapon.

I have been running the standard X300 in the 6280 for the M3/TLR and x300.

UWone77
25 March 2013, 20:46
The bezel of the Ultra hits the bottom of the holster, pushing the entire gun to high to allow the hammer strap to seat across the rear of the weapon.

I'm running an X300 Ultra on an ALS 6360 without issues. Similar holster, but better retention... also available in basketweave... but the 80's called though. They want their basketweave back.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6360

TripleBravo
25 March 2013, 20:48

You've got to take the disk out at the bottom of the holster, then it will fit with the Ultra mounted.

mattj
25 March 2013, 21:08
Here's something I've always wondered...

You pull me over for a traffic stop (say my tail light is out). Would you rather have me:

A) Get out my wallet & fish my registration and whatnot out of the glovebox before you approach the vehicle and have them along with my hands where they are clearly visible by the time you get to me...
-or-
B) Wait until you are up to the vehicle and ask for said items before reaching into pocket/glovebox for them.

Does that answer change at all if your computer tells me (from running my plate) that I am a CCW holder?

Thanks!

zero7one
26 March 2013, 00:41
If you are organized and can grab everything before the officer gets to you, go for it. It shows me that you are prepared and compliant. Trust me, I would rather you have it in your hands when I get up to your window instead of you digging in god knows where to find your paperwork. The guy with the steering wheel death grip and the 1000 yard stare straight ahead is the one I'm really concerned about what he is contemplating.

As for the CCW permit info popping up, it doesn't pop up in WA state, so I can't answer that overall. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

2ATA
26 March 2013, 06:44
I'm running an X300 Ultra on an ALS 6360 without issues. Similar holster, but better retention... also available in basketweave... but the 80's called though. They want their basketweave back.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6360

Basketweave is the hotness brother.

I'd be happy with the ALS upgrade. I actually had to fight the powers that be to even get the OK on the SLS. [bash]

2ATA
26 March 2013, 06:45
You've got to take the disk out at the bottom of the holster, then it will fit with the Ultra mounted.

Whats the exposure/damage risk to the lens with the disk removed?

Stickman
26 March 2013, 08:46
Basketweave is the hotness brother.

I'd be happy with the ALS upgrade. I actually had to fight the powers that be to even get the OK on the SLS. [bash]

Old school sexiness!

Don't worry, I think a few of us here are familiar with departments run by imbeciles, ingrates, and unfortunates.

mattj
26 March 2013, 23:29
If you are organized and can grab everything before the officer gets to you, go for it. It shows me that you are prepared and compliant. Trust me, I would rather you have it in your hands when I get up to your window instead of you digging in god knows where to find your paperwork. The guy with the steering wheel death grip and the 1000 yard stare straight ahead is the one I'm really concerned about what he is contemplating.

As for the CCW permit info popping up, it doesn't pop up in WA state, so I can't answer that overall. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

'preciate it! Kind of what I suspected, but wasn't quite sure. (coincidentally, I'm in Washington state -- I assumed that it popped up on the computer because once I was pulled over and the cop said something about 'I see you have a carry permit' -- but he must have actually recognized it in my wallet).

MoxyDave
27 March 2013, 12:29
When you are pulled over by the police, and they start asking questions, how would you recommend someone respond? Personally I prefer not to divulge personal details such as where I'm going, what I'm doing, and so on, but I don't want to appear combative or unnecessarily rude to the officer.

I have seen videos where an individual did not fully roll down his window, blatantly refused to answer any questions, and kept saying "Am I being detained officer? Am I free to go?" I understand the rhetoric and idea behind this, however I don't think it's prudent to be combative or rude in this situation. Plus I just don't like being an asshole.

Thanks for any advice.

Eric
27 March 2013, 17:12
coincidentally, I'm in Washington state -- I assumed that it popped up on the computer because once I was pulled over and the cop said something about 'I see you have a carry permit' -- but he must have actually recognized it in my wallet.In WA, it really depends on how the specific agency has their database query set up. The Department of Licensing maintains the info and when just a driver's status check is sent, that is all that returns. Most agencies that I am ware of do not have the CPL status as part of a standard check, rather the specific request has to be sent.

Zeake
28 March 2013, 16:53
When you are pulled over by the police, and they start asking questions, how would you recommend someone respond? Personally I prefer not to divulge personal details such as where I'm going, what I'm doing, and so on, but I don't want to appear combative or unnecessarily rude to the officer.

I have seen videos where an individual did not fully roll down his window, blatantly refused to answer any questions, and kept saying "Am I being detained officer? Am I free to go?" I understand the rhetoric and idea behind this, however I don't think it's prudent to be combative or rude in this situation. Plus I just don't like being an asshole.

Thanks for any advice.

Those videos are so stupid. They imply every officer is out to get them. Pure nonsense.

Stickman
28 March 2013, 18:26

Thanks for any advice.

Acting like you are hiding something is a good way to look for trouble, and I mean that in the nicest of ways.

MoxyDave
29 March 2013, 10:18
Thanks for the responses, but my question remains: how can I be polite without divulging my personal info? Or are you saying that I should just spill and tell him whatever he wants to know?

Eric
29 March 2013, 12:09
There really isn't a one answer fits all response for that inquiry and this reply may not help.

If you're just stopped for a minor traffic infraction (speeding, defective equipment, ran a red light, etc.) there most likely won't be much of an inquiry by the police, unless more is suspected such as a DUI (and yes, everyone only has two beers). Or, perhaps they are investigating something that you're not aware of. Example: 911 call of a white male in a green Chevy Tahoe that just broke into the neighbors home and you happen to be a white male in a green Chevy Tahoe, but you can demonstrate that you were coming from the opposite end of town. No, in most circumstances you are not required to provide more than your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. However, there is a happy medium and a little reasonable cooperation goes a long way. FWIW most LE aren't so inclined to give somebody only a warning if they are going out of their way to be a PITA.

This is not directed at anyone here, but more of a generic comment. I always find it interesting when people complain about all the times they are stopped and hassled by the police for no reason. I haven't been stopped in about 20 years and yes, I was in LE at the time and yes, I did get a ticket. How is it that some folks manage to get themselves stopped so often? Perhaps they are making crappy driving choices?

MoxyDave
30 March 2013, 12:53
Thanks Eric. It sounds like just a little politeness and compassion might prevent 20 questions in the first place. I always try to be respectful when given the opportunity.