PDA

View Full Version : Social Media / Networking ... Which do you use?

zero7one
4 March 2013, 10:58
What social media or networking outlets do you frequent? Take the poll.

Hmac
4 March 2013, 12:11
I have a Facebook account. It's primarily a tool for keeping a far-flung family in touch. After about 2 years, I have a total of 27 "friends".

Jerry R
15 March 2013, 18:07
I have a Facebook account. Have not logged in for months.
I have a Flickr account. I have uploaded one photo (have a photobucket pro account).
My company "suggests" that I maintain a LinkedIn account. Never go there.
However, I do "Troll" several Internet forums. LOL

Stickman
16 March 2013, 00:54
http://www.facebook.com/Stickgunner
I do some Facebook, if we are counting numbers for this I'm around 32,500 followers/ friends. It is a medium for me with my photography, no personal accounts, though I do interact with people as much as possible.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
Flickr is a secondary account, and not the primary one I use for hosting images. Based on that, the number of views is much smaller, though it is currently over 5,000,000.

Aside from that stuff, I think most people just know me from my pictures on various gun boards.

MoxyDave
16 March 2013, 11:47
I think Facebook has kind of "jumped the shark". In a year or two it will drift off in to oblivion like MySpace and be replaced by something new. We'll see ...

Stickman
16 March 2013, 12:34
I think Facebook has kind of "jumped the shark". In a year or two it will drift off in to oblivion like MySpace and be replaced by something new. We'll see ...

Facebook hasn't done themselves any favors lately, and I haven't been doing facebook for all that long.

FortTom
17 March 2013, 09:48
I'm "off the grid". Actually, not for any particular reason, these media just don't interest me. My family, wide spread, (mostly) all have face book accounts, but there are some of them that I'd prefer not to converse with, or even know my whereabouts. (I think we might all have at least one of those). I'm kind of sick of Facebook, even though I don't personally have an account. I'm getting sick of the growing trend on the internet, if you want to accomplish something, you have to "like" someone on Facebook, meaning you have to have an account. Want to win some free magazines for your AR? "Like us on Facebook".....Yeah, right. he..he..he.

FT

Hmac
17 March 2013, 11:33

I bet this is true.

Paulo_Santos
17 March 2013, 15:36
If used correctly, Facebook and twitter can be a great thing. I have a ton of family in the old country that I don't see very often, so it is nice to keep in touch and they can see pictures of our kids. They are also great for businesses if used properly, but the last thing I want to do is follow some crack head has-been actor on Twitter.

Eric
17 March 2013, 18:57
I'm "off the grid". Actually, not for any particular reason, these media just don't interest me. My family, wide spread, (mostly) all have face book accounts, but there are some of them that I'd prefer not to converse with, or even know my whereabouts. (I think we might all have at least one of those). I'm kind of sick of Facebook, even though I don't personally have an account. I'm getting sick of the growing trend on the internet, if you want to accomplish something, you have to "like" someone on Facebook, meaning you have to have an account. Want to win some free magazines for your AR? "Like us on Facebook".....Yeah, right. he..he..he.

FT

That essentially summarizes my thoughts. Perhaps I'm just antisocial. :D

zero7one
17 March 2013, 19:23
I completely understand about the perspective about not being able to hold a conversation with others. However, since I was born and raised on the East Coast and became an Army Transplant to the West Coast, I find Facebook a nice way to keep up with some of my friends and family that I typically would not be calling on a weekly basis. From a business standpoint, the ability to network and provide updates to customers/potential customers, is huge.

I think that Facebook has done better than MySpace, however, they are constantly changing the layout of their profiles, which makes me have to relearn how to use their site.

Rodman24
17 March 2013, 21:58
I only maintain a LinkedIn presence. Facebook is gone and I have no interest in any of the others.

I "know"a lot of people. Most of them are not the kind of people with whom I wish to have quality personal relationships.

When you maintain a social media presence you are bombarded by people from your past and present. You don't wish to be rude so you accept their connection/friend requests. You simply don't wish to offend them.

My old Facebook account was full of people from my past. I was content with most of those people being lost in the past. My friends and I use email, text messaging and phone calls to stay in touch when personal visits aren't possible. So... I canned Facebook.

LinkedIn isn't as bad, but there are people that clutter my account with just as much business/personal development crap. Sometimes it makes me miss the stupid Farmville updates on Facebook.

I've actually received connection/friend requests from people with whom I've shared a mutual dislike. Why in the hell does that happen? I always forgive, but I never forget.

Hmac
18 March 2013, 05:01
I get frequent "friend" requests on Facebook from people from my past or from friends of "friends", and in some cases even complete strangers. I have no compunction about ignoring those requests, and I routinely "de-friend" others in my friend list if they haven't posted anything that meets my definition of "interesting". In particular, I defriend friends and most family after the second time they post a picture of their cat. This ruthlessness is the reason I can keep my "friends" list to 27 people and Facebook can remain a relevant component of my social interaction.

Rodman24
18 March 2013, 10:25
I may give that some serious consideration.

I get frequent "friend" requests on Facebook from people from my past or from friends of "friends", and in some cases even complete strangers. I have no compunction about ignoring those requests, and I routinely "de-friend" others in my friend list if they haven't posted anything that meets my definition of "interesting". In particular, I defriend friends and most family after the second time they post a picture of their cat. This ruthlessness is the reason I can keep my "friends" list to 27 people and Facebook can remain a relevant component of my social interaction.

MoxyDave
18 March 2013, 13:55
That's a lot of work pruning your friends list all the time. Personally I just hide people as soon as they start posting any kind of negativity. So I may have 100+ so-called "friends" but I only see the activity from people I haven't hidden, effectively limiting my "friends" to about 10 or 20 people.

I just don't like to waste time doing maintenance on my facebook account. For me just hiding people that complain all the time or never post anything useful has been a very simple, fast solution. I still get the benefits of FB without a great deal of BS.

That said, I still see updates from Weaponevolution :-)

Hmac
18 March 2013, 14:08
Ignoring friend requests requires no energy, and periodically purging the friends list is no big deal.... pull up the friends list, click away and *poof*, they're gone in 60 seconds.

Lately I have been paying attention to various vendors and now I'm getting updates from Magpul, etc. So far, I've found it to provide some interesting updates, but I have booted a couple of trainers that keep posting their travelogues and other such stuff that I'm not interested in. And, as expected, it's generated some targeted advertising...so jury's still out as to whether or not automatic tracking on Facebook is a good idea. If not, I'll spend another 60 seconds "unliking" those various groups.

UWone77
1 May 2013, 01:15
That's a lot of work pruning your friends list all the time. Personally I just hide people as soon as they start posting any kind of negativity. So I may have 100+ so-called "friends" but I only see the activity from people I haven't hidden, effectively limiting my "friends" to about 10 or 20 people.

I just don't like to waste time doing maintenance on my facebook account. For me just hiding people that complain all the time or never post anything useful has been a very simple, fast solution. I still get the benefits of FB without a great deal of BS.

That said, I still see updates from Weaponevolution :-)

I usually clean up my friends list once a year. Much like what you said, I just hide people's activity for the most part though, especially when I see pictures of their dinner every other night, or 20 pictures of their kid every week. No thanks. I find myself logging into FB less and less as time goes on. It's the same 10 people posting 90% of the garbage on my wall. That coupled with the fact FB lets me see less and less firearm related posts, soon there will be no reason to log in.

colbyslanbia
22 August 2013, 04:09
wow didn't know that forums can matched to the facebook cause i assume mostly non-tech persons don't know about forums