PDA

View Full Version : Sportsmen's Activity Report: States Benefit from Economic Impact of Hunting

zero7one
4 March 2013, 11:26
To: ALL MEDIA
For immediate release
March 4, 2013

For more information contact:
Bill Brassard Jr.
203-426-1320

Sportsmen's Activity Report: States Benefit from Economic Impact of Hunting

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has released a major new report documenting the importance of hunting activities to the U.S. economy. NSSF is the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industry.

The report, Hunting in America: An Economic Force for Conservation, provides detailed information on 40-plus categories of U.S. hunting-related expenditures, which grew 55 percent, as well as state-by-state statistics for number of hunters, retail sales, taxes and jobs. The report notes an overall nine percent increase in hunting participation between 2006 and 2011. The money hunters spent in 2011 resulted in $87 billion being added to the nation's economy and supported more than 680,000 jobs nationally.

"The major growth in spending by hunters is good news for businesses throughout the country, particularly small businesses in rural areas," said NSSF President and CEO Steve Sanetti.

Beyond their impact on businesses and local economies, sportsmen are the leaders in protecting wildlife and habitats. When you combine license and stamp fees, excise taxes on hunting equipment and membership contributions to conservation organizations, hunters contribute more than $1.6 billion annually to conservation.

"Hunters are without peer when it comes to funding the perpetuation and conservation of wildlife and natural habitats," said Sanetti.

About NSSF
The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearms industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of more than 8,000 manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen's organizations and publishers. For more information, log on to www.nssf.org.

mlosi762
5 March 2013, 12:26
I buy a hunting and fishing license every year, and for sometimes more than one state. Even though I don't get to go as much as I would like anymore (my wife is not a big fan of meat that is not from a store), I know that the money I spend helps conservation efforts, and ensures that future generations will be able to enjoy these time honored traditions.

zero7one
5 March 2013, 12:32
my wife is not a big fan of meat that is not from a store

I'm sure that the meat that you are bringing home is not only fresher than the stores, but you can guarantee what it is and where it came from.

mlosi762
6 March 2013, 06:23
I'm sure that the meat that you are bringing home is not only fresher than the stores, but you can guarantee what it is and where it came from.

I agree. I describe it to her as organic, free-range... But first time she saw me drag a dead animal home, she lost her shit. Now I take my kills to a local butcher for processing. As long as it looks like it came from the store, she'll eat it.