PDA

View Full Version : OTTE Gear Hard Shell Review

Stickman
22 June 2008, 15:25
The full review to the OTTE Gear Hard Shell is done. It took longer than expected due to computer problems, but that gave me a chance to spend a lot of time with both the Hard Shell Patrol Parka, and the Soft Shell. From crawling around on the ground, to shooting, hiking in the proverbial downpour, to simply wearing it around while running mundane errands, they got worn all the time.

If you have any questions, comments, or general discussion, post it here and we can figure it out.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3487#post3487

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Otte%20Gear/IMG_4706%201028%20Stick.jpg

Failure2Stop
28 June 2008, 10:57
The review was great (as is now expected ;) ).

Do you find the Cost to benefit ratio sufficient to warrant purchasing the Hard Shell? The price tag is pretty steep, but if it stands up, it's worth it.

Any idea if it will be offered in more. . . conventional patterns? I.e.- something that, at a glance, could be mistaken for issued.

Stickman
29 June 2008, 10:25
The review was great (as is now expected ;) ).

Do you find the Cost to benefit ratio sufficient to warrant purchasing the Hard Shell? The price tag is pretty steep, but if it stands up, it's worth it.

Any idea if it will be offered in more. . . conventional patterns? I.e.- something that, at a glance, could be mistaken for issued.

F2S,

I read your post yesterday, and I've been thinking about how to answer it. I agree with you that if it holds up, its worth it, and every indication I have now is that it will. I mentioned in my review about buying quality. I bought a parka in 1993 that has seen use in all sorts of conditions, and in various parts of the world. I paid more for it than I wanted, and more than I could probably afford, but I looked it at as a long term purchase/ investment. The OTTE Gear Hard Shell will be replacing that parka, and I would be stunned if it didn't last longer.

I've been using the Hard Shell while shooting, rolling around on the ground, and similar work, and it still looks new.

I'll throw a wrench in the above comments, and say that while I like the Hard Shell....... If I could only own one jacket, it would be the OTTE Gear Soft Shell. It wouldn't be because of all the pockets (I tend to load up jackets), it wouldn't be because of the special materials its made of (silver threads), it wouldn't be because of all the people who have come up to me from out of nowhere to talk about it and ask where they can get one.

The OTTE Gear Soft Shell has an impressive listing of features, but this is one of those rare cases where the sum is worth more than the individual parts. The fit, feel, weatherproofness, and comfort surpass that of any other jacket I've worn.

The Soft Shell will be the next review.