PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed to be a Coloradoan today

MoxyDave
5 March 2013, 10:00
Despite all the testimony, the economic loss of companies such as Magpul leaving the state, and the obvious lack of support from their constituents, Colorado Democrats approve all seven gun control bills currently making their way into law in CO:

http://kdvr.com/2013/03/04/gun-hearings-bring-huge-crowds-to-capitol/

After another round of state Senate hearings on Friday, I fully expect all of these bills to pass. Then our wonderfully enlightened governor John Hickenlooper will undoubtedly sign them all into law.

I keep writing and calling, but it seems to me that these lawmakers have already made their decisions. I have a strong suspicion that they have been offered deals by the Vice President in order to move these laws forward, and no amount of dissent will dissuade them.

I don't know what to do next. Once these laws are passed I think it will be hell to repeal them. All this feel-good legislation is going to really hurt us some day.

zero7one
5 March 2013, 10:34
I have a strong suspicion that they have been offered deals by the Vice President in order to move these laws forward, and no amount of dissent will dissuade them.

The power of $$$ and funding/support can be an Evil larger than the "threat" of guns.

Bob Reed
5 March 2013, 12:54
and no amount of dissent will dissuade them.
Maybe something like this would "dissuade" them - it sure worked before. http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/article.asp?ITEM=8

MoxyDave
10 March 2013, 15:14
Further proof that politicians are using leverage against those who would support us:

Sheriff Terry Maketa, El Paso County, CO: “Democrats are threatening sheriffs’ salaries over opposition to gun control bills” (http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=47917)

Keep up the good fight. Call your legislators, write them, bug the shit out of them and vote them out of office when they don't listen.

Bob Reed
10 March 2013, 17:42
Keep up the good fight. Call your legislators, write them, bug the shit out of them and vote them out of office when they don't listen.
They STOPPED Listening Years Ago!

ronin3298
11 March 2013, 20:02
MD,

I feel your pain as I live in a state (CA) that symbolizes ignorance and fear mongering when it comes to the Second Amendment. The fact is there will always be bad people out there doing bad things no matter what laws are passed. What gets me are the voters who do support gun control and then cry foul when the bad guys get away with things. You shouldn't feel any shame or regret, after all you were pro-active and responsible in trying to address the issue. Funny how when the left such as the 99%ers stage a protest that includes violence and destruction of property it's OK. However when people like us call and write our elected representatives or stage a peaceful protest we're the 'radical' ones. A sad and mad world we live in unfortunately.

MoxyDave
12 March 2013, 09:58
Thanks for the support ronin. CO is pretty awesome otherwise.

Eric
10 April 2013, 06:30
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/10/colorado-sheriffs-plan-lawsuit-challenging-state-gun-control-laws/

March 8, 2013: Protesters gather in front of the Capitol in Denver where State Senators are debating seven control bills. (AP)

More than half of Colorado's elected sheriffs are planning to mount a legal challenge to the state's sweeping new gun restrictions.

The Denver Post reports that 37 of the state's 62 sheriffs will sue to overturn laws passed in March that set limits on ammunition magazines and expand background checks for firearms.

Weld County Sheriff John Cooke told the paper that the proposed lawsuit would argue the laws violate Second Amendment rights. He said the lawsuit would likely be filed within the next few weeks.

The group County Sheriffs of Colorado has opposed a ban on high-capacity magazines, and about a dozen Colorado sheriffs spoke against the new laws during President Obama's visit this week. The laws take effect July 1.

The group's board of directors decided against joining the lawsuit as a plaintiff, according to County Sheriffs' executive director, Chris Olson, the Post reported.

Cooke told the Post he anticipates more sheriffs will join the lawsuit, though some of his colleagues reportedly oppose the legal effort.

San Miguel County Sheriff Bill Masters told the paper he doesn't think the newly-passed laws will be effective but he won't be signing on to the lawsuit.

"I'm not going to sue anybody for anything. I understand the frustration but I wouldn't do that," Masters said.

In a letter to residents last week, Douglas County Sheriff David Weaver warned that the state's new gun laws are going to be difficult, if not impossible, to enforce and won't stop another mass shooting.

Weaver said ammunition magazines shouldn't be limited and said criminals will just steal them or buy them out-of-state. He said he won't disregard the new laws but also won't be "ordering gun magazine roundups."