PDA

View Full Version : First AR build, 16" APR, missing anything?

GraphiteBrawler
5 March 2013, 11:17
So, over 3 years ago, when I was still shooting only bolt guns, I registered on an AR and tactical forum and learned what I could. My plan was to buy a Spikes Tactical gun, but life, and growing up, got in the way.

Fast forward 3 years, and I still haven't bought or built my first AR, and I find myself, like many other folks, in the political situation that now may be the last time to do it.

I'm looking for an All Purpose, SHTF, and Home Defense rifle. I get excellent prices on Bushnell and Vortex Optics so i'd probably be looking at buying something from them for glass. I don't see this rifle going out past 500 yards, but I would like as much flexibility in it's use as possible.

Troy Bravo BattleRail - 13 inch
Rainier Arms UltraMatch .223 Wylde Barrel - 16
Mega Billet Upper / Ambi Lower / CH - Combo Nickel Boron Plated
Surefire Muzzle Brake (must be permanently attached because i live in MA)
Stark SE-1 AR15 / M16 Pistol Grip
Timney Single Stage Match Trigger
Sully Stock or similar short-pull fixed stock with extended butt pad ( again, I live in MA) I'm unfamiliar with any better options.

I feel like I must be missing something? Is there anything I should be worried about, compatibility issues?

Thanks in advance for all the help folks.

Edit: I'm also a Lefty, so if there's anything mod-wise that would make the gun more left-hand friendly, i'd be all for it!

zero7one
5 March 2013, 12:07
The Mega Ambi lower has a trigger guard built in as does the Start SE1...they will not work together.

http://megaarms.com/wp-content/gallery/ar-15_lowerreceivers_billetlowers_gtr-3h-ambi/a_gtr-3h-ambi-01-left.jpg

http://www.starkequipment.com/Images/se1-ar/se1_03.jpg

Deckard
5 March 2013, 12:44
You need a lower parts kit that comes with a pivot pin, takedown pin, trigger and hammer pin, and detents. You'll need a gas block (.750) based on the barrel and a gas tube. You also need a Bolt Carrier Group (BCG). When it comes to BCG's just make sure you have one that is properly tested and staked. Daniel Defense, Colt, Noveske, BCM are great choices.

UWone77
5 March 2013, 15:11
I would can the Timney for a Geissele or ACT trigger, and a Battle Arms Development ambi safety is a must if you're a lefty.

Hmac
5 March 2013, 15:28
I would can the Timney for a Geissele or ACT trigger, and a Battle Arms Development ambi safety is a must if you're a lefty.

Absolutely.

As to stocks, I think the Sully stock is a great choice for a fixed stock. I've shot with Greg Sullivan a fair amount and I do admire it.

You didn't mention charging handles...I assume you'll want an ambidextrous version. I have a Ranier Raptor and I think it's very impressive. Likely another good choice is the BCM ambi, although I haven't handled one. I do know that the Raptor is excellent.

GraphiteBrawler
5 March 2013, 17:03
Thanks Gents!
I knew I must have been forgetting things. I guess I kind of assumed buying the lower came with that stuff.

In light of this, I suppose this has been added:

Lewis Machine & Tool Bolt Carrier group/Assembly

Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit (includes D.D. Trigger and compatible Grip) then over time I can upgrade to another aftermarket trigger when i'm good enough to tell the difference.

Rainier Arms upper parts kit.

VLTOR Gas Block

Noveske Ambidextrous Safety. Though I'd assume there are other options as well out there.

The only reason I didn't have a charging handle listed is because the MEGA seems to come with one.

zero7one
5 March 2013, 18:36
Don't forget your Gas Tube (Carbine or Mid Length depending on your barrel), buffer, buffer spring, and a tube if the Sully Stock doesn't come with one, magazines (if you can find them), a sling and mounts if you need one, and a mount for the optic you choose.

Also, are you set on .223 for your barrel? Having a .223 barrel, you will NOT be able to shoot 5.56, vs if you get a 5.56 barrel, you will be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223.

GraphiteBrawler
5 March 2013, 18:54
I'll add those to my list.

Frankly I'm not dead set on anything, the entire list is fluid, so long as I know I'm putting quality, bomb proof parts on. so a 5.56 barrel sounds like a better idea if it allows me to expand my ammunition options.

Deckard
5 March 2013, 19:06
http://www.itstactical.com/series/diy-ar-15-build/

Its Tactical did a great walk through of a build. It could be a great reference for you like it was for me.

tommychango
5 March 2013, 20:59
Wylde barrels should shoot both 223 and 556

Eric
6 March 2013, 06:49
Is there some reason you're building from parts instead of buying a complete rifle, factory assembled, with a warranty?

GraphiteBrawler
6 March 2013, 10:20
Is there some reason you're building from parts instead of buying a complete rifle, factory assembled, with a warranty?

Mostly because when I do something for the first time, I really like to know how everything works. If I build it myself, I know how to fix it myself, and clean it myself, and take care of it myself. I also am in a position where pretty much every AR you buy comes with a collapsible stock and flash hider fitted, which means not only could I not have them shipped to the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, but even if i could, I'd have to spend that extra money fixing those features.

Hmac
6 March 2013, 10:26
The only reason I didn't have a charging handle listed is because the MEGA seems to come with one.

It comes with an ambidextrous charging handle?

I looked at the Noveske safety selector. It's made by Magpul, I opted for another BADASS despite the cost mainly for its machined steel construction (rather than polymer) and the wide variety of levers and configurations.

GraphiteBrawler
7 March 2013, 06:35
It comes with an ambidextrous charging handle?

I looked at the Noveske safety selector. It's made by Magpul, I opted for another BADASS despite the cost mainly for its machined steel construction (rather than polymer) and the wide variety of levers and configurations.

My assumption was that if they bill it as an ambidextrous specific upper/lower combo, and they say it comes with a charging handle wouldn't it too be ambidextrous?

I took a read through that step-by-step AR build, it doesn't look like anything I couldn't manage, It's just a matter of making sure I have all the parts. It's also super informative, which is really great.

That having been said, does any company make a rifle with similar specs to mine, that would be willing to ship it in pieces to aid in Mass compliance efforts? I guess If I just practice taking it apart and putting it back together myself, that's as good a way as any to learn it's workings.

Hmac
7 March 2013, 09:16
My assumption was that if they bill it as an ambidextrous specific upper/lower combo, and they say it comes with a charging handle wouldn't it too be ambidextrous?

I don't know for sure. I'm guessing not. They advertise that it comes with the Mega Billet Charging Handle.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/fcae13994cfccb839f3902b215b610c6.jpg

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/ccc712a56d0dbee0397e6f2e3605da2d.jpg

GraphiteBrawler
7 March 2013, 12:03
So it appears, So i'd need a new charging handle anyway.

I've been thinking about calling Rainier Arms and ordering the 14.5" RUC they make, and simply asking them to adjust some of the parts to make it more Lefty and Massachusetts friendly.

Does anyone have any experience with them as dealers, or with that rifle in particular?

Thanks guys, this place really is a wealth of knowledge.

Deckard
7 March 2013, 16:14
Rainier Arms is great and they have a flat shipping rate. I bought my Noveske NSR from them. About the charging handle, I'm a lefty also (when it comes to carbine since I'm left eye dominate), I work a normal right handed charging handle just fine you just have to reach over a bit. It is nice to have an ambidextrous option though.

Stickman
7 March 2013, 17:23
So it appears, So i'd need a new charging handle anyway.

I've been thinking about calling Rainier Arms and ordering the 14.5" RUC they make, and simply asking them to adjust some of the parts to make it more Lefty and Massachusetts friendly.

Does anyone have any experience with them as dealers, or with that rifle in particular?

Thanks guys, this place really is a wealth of knowledge.

The owner is a good friend of mine. I also own a RUC, and like it quite a bit. The balance on the weapon is extremely nice, and it feels very smooth shooting.

GraphiteBrawler
7 March 2013, 20:11
The owner is a good friend of mine. I also own a RUC, and like it quite a bit. The balance on the weapon is extremely nice, and it feels very smooth shooting.

The vote of confidence might just have me go with the RUC, and maybe a small weapon light on the front to balance it out weight-wise.

Stick, should I just call them tomorrow and ask about getting the rifle slightly differently than listed? Mostly I'd need the stock either pinned, or shipped with a fixed stock like a Sully or Ace.

I would give anything for an adjustable stock, especially as a new shooter, but MA is pretty clear about that.