PDA

View Full Version : Nordic Component NC-22

gatordev
11 March 2013, 15:51
With ammo harder to come by and people wanting to train with less-expensive options, here's a quick review of the NC-22 upper. I found some stuff on this upper a couple of years ago when I was looking to buy one, but what I found didn't cover some things I've experienced so figured I'd throw something up here. I'm not really sure how many rounds I've fired, but it's easily several thousand. I've owned mine for about 2 years. Overall, I've been very happy with it.

Since I took the picture (below), it's now sporting it's own PSA lower and a Primary Arms Red Dot (which has been fantastic, especially for $90).

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/gatordev/NC22aimpoint1resize_zps6e75447d.jpg

PROS:

-Manual of arms is very similar to a regular AR (though not perfect...more on that in a sec).

-Runs on a standard AR lower using Black Dog mags.

-Bolt hold open on last round

-Runs on standard Federal ammo with zero issues

-Customer support is great (more on that in a sec).

-Magazines (used to be) fairly cheap and easy to come by.

Pros discussion:

The bolt is fairly simple and is actuated by the charging handle or blow-back. It will "lock" back on the last round, but once you remove the magazine, it goes forward. The bolt holds itself open by resting on the magazine follower. The good part with that is that you can usually feel the difference between cycling another round or running dry. Unfortunately, this means that once you pull the mag, the bolt closes and you'll have to re-rack it to load a round if there's not already one in the chamber. It's also possible to lock it back with a standard bolt catch, so if you want to keep the action open at a range/competition, it's possible (though it's easily knocked closed). It also is advertised to allow you to dry fire without any damage to the firing pin (if you don't have any snap caps).

I have a total of 10 BD mags (5 26-round and 5 10-round). Other than a mechanical problem with the gun which I'll get to, the mags have had minimal issues...nothing more than you'd expect with a .22 round.

When I first got the upper, it was having massive extraction issues with several types of ammo. I ran it through the ~500 round break-in period and it was still having issues. Nordic Component quickly sent me a shipping invoice and fixed the issue free of charge. I had the upper back in a few weeks with no cost to me. They were very responsive in email during the entire process and kept me updated when I'd bug them. I was very impressed with the service. Since then, the upper has been trouble free.

Out of several thousand rounds, all but 500 have been Federal Walmart specials. It just keeps going and going. I do clean it pretty regularly to keep the gunk down.

CONS:

-Heavy

-Carbine handguard (they now sell it with a mid-length apparently)

-Still have to rack the bolt when reloading on a dry weapon

-May not like all GI triggers (haven't tried any higher-end triggers)

Cons Discussion:

My single biggest complaint about the upper is the weight. It's not a 10 pound gun, but it's heavier than I'd prefer. I'm guessing this is mostly due to the barrel profile as the listed weight of the handguard is only ~10 oz. I try to build the rest of my ARs up as light as I can, so I may be more aware of the weight than some, but it is noticeable to more than just me. If weight is an issue (my girlfriend complains when she shoots it), that may be a good reason to look at the 15-22 over this.

When I first got the upper, I mated it to a Spike's lower with a Spike's FCG. I think I only used that for one range session (~300 rounds?), but I had several double fires with it. After that, I had it on its dedicated lower with a G&R T trigger group (I think his is LMT, but someone can correct me), and it ceased having issues. I've never tried to put it back with that trigger group, which isn't even installed in a lower anymore.

Overall, I've enjoyed the upper and after the initial problem, it's continued to be a joy to shoot. The addition of the low-cost PA red dot makes it very similar to shooting an AR with an Aimpoint, so great for low cost training.

Now if I could only find more .22 in stock...

ronin3298
11 March 2013, 19:53
Thanks for taking the time to do a write up on this unit. For awhile I was considering the S&W MP15-22, AR .22LR Upper or Ruger's SR-22. Since selling my 15-22 I'm thinking the next time I'm able to get another training alternative it will be the upper like the one you chose. Of course all of this is dependent on whether or not when I'm ready if anything will be available at all. CMMG had some good options but are now all sold out, I had heard of Nordic Components for their AR22 chassis. Good to know there are other options out there.

gatordev
12 March 2013, 11:22
Glad it was helpful. I haven't really messed with a 15-22 other than holding one at one point. I'd like to play with one for comparisons sake.