PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 Shield Initial Review and Improvements

Fried Chicken Blowout
17 March 2013, 06:57
The formatting from my blog and photos won't carry over to the forum so I'm only going to post a link to the blog. Fell free to post back here if you have any questions. I'll update things as I get more time with the Shield. The Shields are outstanding, as most other's have pointed out already and they are worth the order time wait if you can't find one in stock. Hope you enjoy the information...

https://weaponkingpin.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/smith-wesson-mp9-shield-everything-a-carry-gun-should-be/

MoxyDave
17 March 2013, 11:20
Nice review. The Shield 9mm has become my favorite small handgun. Shoots like a full-size but carries like a micro. I put Amerigo "figure-8" style night sights and an Apex Hard Sear in mine. It's been an excellent combination. I've had zero failures in over 1000 rounds so far and I've only run a snake through the bore once. Highly recommended.

FortTom
18 March 2013, 14:03
Really good review. I'm an M&P fan, both mine have the APEX FSS with a trigger pull of approx. 3.5 lbs (using cheap but fairly accurate scale). Your concerns with the Shield are pretty much in line with the M&P, if I didn't know it, I'd almost think you were talking the same weapons. I've been waiting forever for one to show up around here, but even though it's not an "assault rifle" as defined by Fienstein, panic buying has kept it off the shelves. Dip Squats are asking "panic" buying prices of as much as $750 or more, so I'm going to have to stand in line for a while, I guess when people find out their $750 + small frame's value has dropped to about 450 or so.

I did read an internet rumor that APEX is working a deal to supply trigger components to S&W for a special "APEX" model, but have no idea if the source was knowledgeable, or just blowing smoke. Thanks for the review, I found it informative.

FT.

Stryker medic
20 April 2013, 08:37
Great review!

UWone77
16 June 2013, 00:52
What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of the Shields? I picked up a 40, but now wishing it was a 9mm.

Fried Chicken Blowout
16 June 2013, 01:02
I don't normally post specific on handgun accuracy because of the way they are generally used. Not shot from a bench like rifles or over long range with magnified optics where you can really tell a difference. You'll also run into a lot of posts from jackwagons that post great results or horrible results that are meaningless due to their skill level or their lack of expectations so I just stay out of those arguments for the most part.

But for a gun of this size, after the modifications I've posted... I 'd say the accuracy is above average and at least as good as the M&P9c. I'm quite impressed with the gun still and use it when teaching and taking classes where I don't need a full size gun for the round count. I have not issues shooting 250 rounds through it in a day as I would have had with a Kahr P9. The Kahr was very accurate pistol if you took your time with shots, but with the long stacking trigger I had a hard time shooting it accurate when shooting it like a defensive pistol. The recoil also bothered my hands a bunch after about 50-100 rounds.

UWone77
16 June 2013, 01:06
Yeah, I know what you mean. I wasn't looking for... say claims of 2" groups at 15 yards or similar. I was more wondering if you're able to hit minute of man targets at 25 yards, quickly and consistently. I carry a Kahr CW9 daily, and at 15 yards I'm confident in it, but like you said, the long trigger pull makes it hard to shoot accurately, quickly. The Shield looks like a winner so far in terms of ergonomics.