PDA

View Full Version : Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate gun control billl

zero7one
19 March 2013, 12:25
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/19/reid-cuts-assault-weapons-ban-from-senate-gun-control-bill-amid-waning-support

The leader of the Democrat-controlled Senate on Tuesday dropped a proposed assault weapons ban from the chamber’s gun-control package – dealing a blow to supporters of the ban, though it could still come up for a vote.

The sponsor of the measure, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., revealed that Reid told her the proposed ban would not be in the initial package. Feinstein said she's "disappointed" with the decision, and is expected to nevertheless offer it as an amendment.

But the move by Reid to cut it from the main bill signals a lack of congressional support for a proposal that would not only revive, but strengthen, the decade-long ban that expired in 2004.

The proposed ban passed was passed last week by the Senate Judiciary Committee, along with three other measures. The others dealt with providing more school safety aid, expanding federal background checks on potential gun buyers and helping authorities prosecute illegal gun traffickers.

Feinstein has led the gun-control charge since President Obama called for federal legislation in the wake of the Newtown and other mass shootings.

The assault weapons ban was the most controversial of the major proposals to restrict guns that have been advanced by Obama and Senate Democrats. Because of that, it had been expected that the assault weapons measure would be left out of the initial package the Senate considers, with Democrats hoping the Senate could in turn amass the strongest possible vote for the overall legislation.

There are 53 Democrats in the Senate, plus two independents who usually vote with them.

Having a separate vote on assault weapons might free moderate Democratic senators facing re-election next year in Republican-leaning states to vote against the assault weapons measure, but then support the remaining overall package of gun curbs.

Gun control supporters consider a strong Senate vote important because the Republican-run House has shown little enthusiasm for most of Obama's proposals.

Feinstein said Reid told her there would be two additional votes. One would be on her assault weapons ban, which also includes a ban on ammunition magazines that carry more than 10 rounds. The second would just be on prohibiting the high-capacity magazine clips.

Many Democrats think the ban on large-capacity magazines has a better chance of getting 60 votes than the assault weapons ban.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/19/reid-cuts-assault-weapons-ban-from-senate-gun-control-bill-amid-waning-support/#ixzz2O0zuFLvJ

FortTom
19 March 2013, 12:59
Yes, I was going to post this myself. Now I wonder how "red-faced" some who paid $2500 for a $900 weapon are going to feel? I kind of feel sorry for some. I think folks should remember there dealers, though, who jacked up a $1100 Bushmaster to $2200 - $2500, and give them a little gouging themselves. Let them sit on that stack of cash they made in the short term, while their daily business burn rate eats it up, and said dealers are wondering why the place is empty. We had a guy here who stayed honest here. Granted, he couldn't get his hands on much, but he wasn't price gouging.

On a different note, I'm not going to be fooled into "forgetting the whole issue". Nearly, if not all of those Democrats in the Senate that want to drop the whole issue, are up for re-election in 2014. After that, do you really trust them not to come back to the same old crap and try it again? I guess I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but I trust these people about as much as I do the POTUS and his entire cabinet. Absolutely none. Not trying to sound like an old crab, but I have not faith nor trust in these folks.

FT[BD]

Stickman
19 March 2013, 14:30
I wouldn't be too excited as it appears other portions are still going through. This element was removed, but only so additional restrictions were certain to be passed. Most importantly is the first step of firearm restriction/ confiscation, which is coming through under the guise of no personal sales without mandatory background checks.

FortTom
19 March 2013, 14:41
I wouldn't be too excited as it appears other portions are still going through. This element was removed, but only so additional restrictions were certain to be passed. Most importantly is the first step of firearm restriction/ confiscation, which is coming through under the guise of no personal sales without mandatory background checks.
Yes, Stickman, I was thinking the exact same thing, but people call me "paranoid" if I say so. I even got a lecture from a couple of older fellows that this was just a vast bi-partisan effort to increase sales and therefore tax revenue. Both were adamant that there was ever any danger to any aspect of our 2A rights.[:D] Sometimes I think I live in a very strange world....
FT

csmith
19 March 2013, 17:34
I have the same link, but with emphasis on key areas. This isn't over, not by a long shot.

The sponsor of the measure, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., revealed that Reid told her the proposed ban would not be in the initial package. Feinstein said she's "disappointed" with the decision, and is expected to nevertheless offer it as an amendment.

The assault weapons ban was the most controversial of the major proposals to restrict guns that have been advanced by Obama and Senate Democrats. Because of that, it had been expected that the assault weapons measure would be left out of the initial package the Senate considers, with Democrats hoping the Senate could in turn amass the strongest possible vote for the overall legislation.

Feinstein said Reid told her there would be two additional votes. One would be on her assault weapons ban, which also includes a ban on ammunition magazines that carry more than 10 rounds. The second would just be on prohibiting the high-capacity magazine clips.

browcs
19 March 2013, 17:49
Another point to add....these are Federal measures. State/local-calls to enact anti-2AD measures may (will) go full steam ahead and find passage in some locales.

Grizzlyatoms
19 March 2013, 18:18
Yes, I was going to post this myself. Now I wonder how "red-faced" some who paid $2500 for a $900 weapon are going to feel? I kind of feel sorry for some. I think folks should remember there dealers, though, who jacked up a $1100 Bushmaster to $2200 - $2500, and give them a little gouging themselves. Let them sit on that stack of cash they made in the short term, while their daily business burn rate eats it up, and said dealers are wondering why the place is empty. We had a guy here who stayed honest here. Granted, he couldn't get his hands on much, but he wasn't price gouging.

On a different note, I'm not going to be fooled into "forgetting the whole issue". Nearly, if not all of those Democrats in the Senate that want to drop the whole issue, are up for re-election in 2014. After that, do you really trust them not to come back to the same old crap and try it again? I guess I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but I trust these people about as much as I do the POTUS and his entire cabinet. Absolutely none. Not trying to sound like an old crab, but I have not faith nor trust in these folks.

FT[BD]

I just bought 5 stripped lowers for $150.00 each, I thought it was a good price.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2