PDA

View Full Version : Any other single-shot fans here?

jvencius
25 June 2008, 09:07
I finally got around to snapping a pic of my favorite rifle for another site and so I thought I'd post it up here too. When John M. Browning got things right, he got them REALLY right and even though the main design of my High Wall is 123 years old, I'd happily carry it in the deer woods or to a social engagement. I dig the 28" pipe since the 30-06 loads I've chrono'ed (until I shot the chronograph with a potato) were at low-end .300 WinMag speed for no more powder than a reguiar '06 cartridge requires. FWIW, it's a Browning 1885 High Wall in 30-06 with a Leica 4.5-14AO scope in Burris rings on Leupod bases. Before I lost the data, I had a load worked up with 168 gr. Sierra Match Kings that would hold a bit over 1/3 MOA out to 500 yds. but I wasn't ever able to get it on paper past that. '06 vs. gopher is a rather one-sided event so that made varmint hunting fun when things got breezy and even my .22-250 was blowing all over hell's half-acre.

Apart from (slow) speed of reloading, I've never felt handicapped using the HighWall hunting since even with hunting loads, it's hellaciously accurate (sub-MOA) for an almost out-of-the-box rifle that's had a little judicious trigger work and nothing else done to it.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/jvencius/P1010026.jpg

BOBRO
27 June 2008, 11:14
Nice rifle. I prefer a single shot rifle and shotgun for hunting.