PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with more NFA "myths"

gatordev
28 March 2013, 18:45
Please understand I'm not confirming or advocating that the below is actually true. I'm curious to see what issues, if any, people have had if they have or have not followed what I've heard over time when submitting NFA paperwork.

Background: For my first SBR, I submitted one copy of all the paperwork (Trust, Assignment, Citizenship) and the standard two copies of the Form 1. No issues, 6 months later I got my stamp. I did the same thing for another Form 1 and recently received another stamp.

1. When submitting paperwork for a Form 4, my FFL (who does a lot of volume and has a good working relationship with the examiner) said I "needed" to submit two copies of everything (in addition to the Form) so that one set of copies goes in a vault in case there's damage to the working copies. I've never read that anywhere before, but I complied, as it's not that big a deal. I still have a few months before anything comes back. Anyone heard that before?

2. Regardless of the above, I'm about to submit two different Form 1s at the same time. I've never done that before and looking for guidance. I don't care how long it takes to get the paperwork back, as it will probably be about the time I'm ready to PCS back to a more "fun" state. That said, I know I don't need to submit redundant Trusts (I think I read that over on the NFACTA site), but is it correct that I need to submit a citizenship form (and obviously Assignment Page) for each set of Form 1s? I'm guessing I do.

3. Lastly, if you buy into question 1., should I include two citizen forms and assignments (totaling 4 of each) when submitting two different Form 1s?

I'm probably over-thinking this, but was curious what people are doing as of late.

ETA: Crap, apparently I can't edit the thread title. Oh well...not NFA myths, but NFA submission myths.

MoxyDave
29 March 2013, 10:15
I submitted 2 Form 1's at one time. I included duplicates of everything. Or so I thought ... I forgot to include my Articles of Incorporation, so they sent me notice and I did not lose my place in line. Once they received the missing documents it took another two weeks to get my stamps.

I recommend sending 2 copies of everything, just in case. Make sure everything is printed on both sides (duplex printing) just to be sure.

gatordev
29 March 2013, 15:51
I recommend sending 2 copies of everything, just in case. Make sure everything is printed on both sides (duplex printing) just to be sure.

Right, but does that mean you sent 2 copies of everything for EACH Form 1? For example, a total of 4 citizenship forms. Or did you include 2 forms total, so one citizenship form for each Form 1?

I have everything printed out, I just need to generate the checks, but I'm just clarifying. Actually, I guess that's another questions. Admittedly, I haven't Googled this, but do you write one check for $400 or two checks for $200 each?

MoxyDave
30 March 2013, 12:51
I wrote 2 checks, each for $200. I sent 2 copies of each Form 1 and everything else. In my case since it is a corporation registering the NFA items, I didn't have to send citizenship or fingerprint data so I can't speak to that aspect.

gatordev
31 March 2013, 15:22
Copy. Thanks for the info. In hindsight, I'm thinking two checks makes more sense anyway. Now I just need to find that checkbook....

eodinert
10 April 2013, 09:00
Writing two checks makes no sense at all. Sending duplicates of forms not required makes no sense at all.

You need to send two copies of the forms 1/4. One is for them, one is for you. Everything else, just send a single copy, and you will get your stamps back in the mail.

MistWolf
28 April 2013, 18:55
When dealing with bureaucrats, sending two separate checks makes plenty of sense. It's easier to staple a check to each app than try to have them split the monies and it's easier to track what got paid for

Hmac
29 April 2013, 05:23
When dealing with bureaucrats, sending two separate checks makes plenty of sense. It's easier to staple a check to each app than try to have them split the monies and it's easier to track what got paid for

I agree with this. The less you make them have to think, the less likely it will be screwed up IMHO. I last time I sent in two Form 1's at the same time I not only two completely separate sets of documents and checks, I sent them in two different envelopes...one envelope per application.

eodinert
15 August 2013, 14:44
This makes no sense. Your check doesn't stay with your packet. Your check gets cashed, and your forms go sit in a pile.

But talk is cheap. My last packet of six stamps got processed just fine with one trust copy, one citizenship form, and one check. But rock on with your bad selves. You're over-thinking this.