PDA

View Full Version : Defeated by a Snake?

FortTom
29 March 2013, 16:41
Not sure if this is the place for this post, but I'll try. After reading for so long now how great bore foam and a bore snake were, I broke down and purchased both. I sprayed the bore foam in first, waited about 5 minutes and tried to get the weight to take the weighted lead in string to get past the flash suppressor so I could pull it through. Absolute no go. Got it down 6 inches at the most.

O.K., grab cleaning rod and patches, clean foam out. Now run a couple of patches with traditional bore cleaner, allow to set, and get the weighted end through. So far so good. Then I tried to pull it through. I'm aging, but I'm not completely broken down, I pulled on that SOB until I was (actually) blue in the face. It came down less than 6 inches and was completely stuck.

Pulled it out, made sure it wasn't folded or knotted and tried again. This time I got it stuck so bad I though I was going to have to seek help to get it out. Embarrassment and pride wouldn't allow that, and I finally got it out. For good. I re-checked the package to ensure I didn't grab the wrong one off of the rack. Sure enough it was .22 Cal, .223, 5.56.

I don't know what the hell happened, I've heard so many great things about this cleaning method. Glad to take the coated 1pc. cleaning rod, soak the bore with boar cleaner, and clean old school method.

Anybody else ever had this happen? I've never read anything negative about the bore snake. I feel like I was defeated by a
mutant, overgrown version of a popular ladies hygiene product....:mad:

Comments? Suggestions? WTF??

Thanks ahead,

FT

Flatlander
29 March 2013, 16:57
For whatever reason the 22 cal is not always 22 cal. I have two 22 cal bore snakes that are not. I just use them for a 243 and forget about it.

Cameron
1 April 2013, 11:40
I have used numerous .22 cal bore snakes through numerous .223 and 5.56 barrels and I have never had a problem. Wrong snake in the right box? What colour is the snake?

Cameron

Flatlander
1 April 2013, 18:52
Same color. Happened to me twice.

FortTom
2 April 2013, 13:52
Mine was green.
FT