PDA

View Full Version : How much are you willing to pay?

Rodman24
5 April 2013, 10:18
I haven't had the need to purchase practice ammo since the craziness began. I still don't have an immediate need. But I do have the option to purchase the following:

1. 500 round boxes of Federal XM193 for $375 (6 available)
2. 500 rounds of Federal XM855 for $450 (4 available).

I'm tempted to pick some up simply to increase my stock, and because I just don't know how soon it will be available at lower prices. Would you pay these prices?

Zeake
5 April 2013, 10:32
Not no. But hell no!

Rodman24
5 April 2013, 10:46
I should note that I have no intent to buy it all. No way I'm dropping $4K on practice ammo at those prices. But I wanted to see what others would be interested in paying, and for how much ammo. I MIGHT be willing to go for 500-1000 rounds. The purpose of the thread is mainly to check everyone's threshold for pain (wallet pain).

FortTom
5 April 2013, 14:18
Not no. But hell no!

The problem is, that you might not get any, then. I have a fairly good size reserve of .223, and enough brass and powder to load more , but can't find bullets (.223). 40 cal ammo pops up here and there, and 9mm is almost mythical here. However, I thought this problem was just a knee-jerk reaction, and would settle down quickly, like it did in 2009. I just finished reading 2 articles that made me ponder, though, one about the effect of Obama pushing so hard has "concerned" folks buying as much as they can, store shelves empty across the nation, and New York's passage of a tough limit, combined with "registration" of your ammo purchase (might as well do your firearm while your at it). So I can stand up and thump my chest about not paying a buck a round for 9mm FMJ practice ammo that was 10 bucks a box prior to this rush on stock. But I might eat my own words. This situation isn't slowing down, it's gaining speed. I was a naysayer before, but now I'm becoming concerned. Very concerned. Hope I'm wrong and people can then point and laugh at me, and I'll take it on the chin like a man, but the current situation hasn't even began to peak. I also read an article, I think in this months NRA mag, made a fairly reasonable scenario and case that this trend could continue for another year, or even years. No one knows. I'm not privy to any "insider" info as far as manufacturers in any aspect of the firearms world, so I have to go on what I read, and see from local venders, news articles and personal experience.

FT

FT

Zeake
5 April 2013, 16:44
I already have a small supply that will last me a long while. 9 40 5.56 7.62*39. I could use some .308 but I can wait on that considering all the walmarts around me have 308 fusion in stock. not to mention I do not own a 700 aac in 308 yet. I suspected it was coming but decided a year before the election to not invest more money in guns and ammo because I thought the u.s. was not dumb enough to relect. I should have known. I would have had pallets of ammo and ARs. Yes I do own a gun shop. No I would not have gouged the price at all.

FortTom
5 April 2013, 17:03
I already have a small supply that will last me a long while. 9 40 5.56 7.62*39. I could use some .308 but I can wait on that considering all the walmarts around me have 308 fusion in stock. not to mention I do not own a 700 aac in 308 yet. I suspected it was coming but decided a year before the election to not invest more money in guns and ammo because I thought the u.s. was not dumb enough to relect. I should have known. I would have had pallets of ammo and ARs. Yes I do own a gun shop. No I would not have gouged the price at all.

Yeah, I didn't think after the first 4 years, people would come back for more of Obama, but, they did. I just got caught with my pants down, because I wasn't expecting a run on 9mm ammo. 5.56, yes, but hell .25ACP is sold out around here, and I don't know a soul that owns one. I'm not a fan of .380 and .25ACP for self-defense, but sure didn't expect to see it go "dark" here. So, I'm good on 5.56 loaded, and .40 cal., but can't find .223 bullets, and powder has disappeared too. To get 9mm here, you have to be standing at the counter while they unpack it...it goes that fast..

There are 2 gun stores here that are not gouging. They are charging the same price as before the "panic" set in, but they are limiting what you can buy. This is for 2 reasons. So you can't buy a case and then run and put it on ARMSLIST for 5X your cost (gouging), and 2nd, they are getting limited shipments, so all of their customers can get some.

The other stores (2) and a few tiny "gun" stores are raping people for 35 - 40 a box for stuff like TULA 9mm.
But you can buy all you want or that they have in stock. Then sell it to fools on Gun Broker or Armslist.com

When, and hopefully it's real soon, this is over, people are going to remember how they got bent over by the 2 stores that sold them 10 buck a box ammo for $40, and who although limiting sales, is selling it at the pre-panic price. I KNOW, who I'll remember, and I won't buy as much as a single target from them in the future. They can kiss my A$$ and money good-bye![:D]

FT.

philpac33
5 April 2013, 22:55
Since the madness started I've kept all my 5.56 purchases at $0.40/rd or less. I traded a combination of 9mm WWB and reloads for M855 at a rate of 1.5/1. I try to be friendly with a few employees at the local Walmarts and that has yielded several 3-box-limits of 100rd value packs at $33/box. There's a small ammunition company about an hour south of me that up until a couple weeks ago was selling their remanufactured .223 for $200/500rds(first come, first served on Saturdays only) but just jacked it up to $350/500. I don't have a giant stockpile like some but I'm comfortable with my stash. To answer the OP's question, my threshold is $0.60/rd. I spend a few minutes each day checking various forums and sites for ammo and when I find it for under $0.40/rd I jump on it. I also have some co-workers who are more dedicated than I in finding ammo values that notify me of relevant discoveries. Without the necessary effort, $0.75/rd might be an acceptable price in certain regions.