PDA

View Full Version : An Old Man’s “minimalist” Carbine

Jerry R
5 April 2013, 17:58
Through no fault of my own, I came into possession of a NIB Colt LE-6920 M4 Carbine. This is during the “Great Panic of 2013” when nothing was available. No black rifles, no ammo, no magazines, darn few accessories, etc. I thought $1,199 plus 6% tax was not a bad deal; below MSRP and way below the current inflated pricing of the day.

Nice rifle with all the things Colt is known for, except no manual, no ubiquitous lock, and a single MagPul G2 thirty round magazine. The rifle was in a plastic bag, and the factory cardboard box was very nicely marked. [BD] It appears to be 2013 manufacture with an A2 front sight, T-Marked Picatinny upper receiver with an MBUS rear sight, and the black plastic handguards that no one really seems to like. The barrel is marked to show it has the 5.56x45 NATO chamber with a 1/7 twist on a 16.1” barrel – chamber and bore are chrome lined. Overall finish was up to Colt’s standards except for a mark on the left side of the lower receiver. It looks like the dealer laid (or hung) it against something and there are a couple of pin-point sized marks completely through the finish. I may do something about that later (liquid Aluminum Black?). The castle nut was properly staked, and the key was double staked as it should be. The extractor has a black rubber washer. The bolt carrier was chrome lined. The fire control group was smooth with no tool marks, nicks, or burrs; and properly installed. Trigger pull averages 6 pounds and 10.5 ounces on a Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Gauge.

The extension tube is a four position mil-spec diameter unit, and the buttstock is a Rogers Super-Stoc. It locks up tight with zero wiggle. The buffer is marked with an “H”.

Once the decision was made that I had to keep it (long story), I thought about making a minimalist fighting carbine out of it. Not a lot of “stuff” hanging on it. Just enough for an old man to be able to shoot it accurately.

The first change was to replace the handguards with a seven inch rail. I went with a Midwest Industries #MCTAR-17 G2 drop in. Couple of reasons, only 7.5 ounces and I had great success with a free float version of their rails – thanks to Stickman for his installation “How To” June 22, 2007 (pictures now gone :( ). I rubber-laddered the top, put a MagPul Angled Foregrip v2 on it, and used LaRue rail clips to cover the sides. They are thin, light, and reasonably grippy. Not going to put a light on it for now. I have some TLR-1s lights available if I need one for some reason, and the rail clips let me quickly clear as much, or as little, real estate as I need.

I installed a MagPul aluminum Enhanced Trigger Guard, B.A.D. Lever and MIAD Grip.

Since this is for an “old man” (with old eyes) I decided on a cross-hair style reticule versus RDS for this carbine. I love my EOTech’s but I’m really a cross-hair kind of guy. I like the ease of sight-in with the cross hair, but I also like the low light ability of the RDS. So, I chose the Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 1.5x4 Scope with a green “fire dot” in the center. It also has target turrets that are supposed to be regulated for BDC on a 16” Carbine using Mil-Spec 55 grain ammo. I wish it was a true 1x on the low end, and a first focal plane reticule, but $399 street price for an AR-specific Leupold is tough to beat. The reticule is a cross between their duplex and mil-dot reticules. Four slightly thicker posts on the outer wires with mil-dots on the thinner center wires. It also has a ten mil ring in the center surrounding the battery operated “fire-dot”. Reminds me of my EOTech’s; the ring draws your eye to the center point. I have used LaRue QD mounts in the past and found the ones I have will return to zero very well. So, I ordered their Picatinny Riser QD LT101. For rings I am using Millett Angle-Lok Matte low rings. Yes, they are steel and heavier than some others, but I can take out almost 100 percent of the windage adjustment with a laser bore sighter during the installation. And they have proven rock solid for me all the way up through a Winchester 300 Maggie.

I know the MagPul MBUS rear sights are very sturdy, but I had a Troy Folding Battle Rear Sight on the SPR (and I will ‘never’ use BUIS on this rifle) so I swapped the MBUS for the Troy. Again, this is based on personal preference only. I also replaced the charging handle with the VLTOR Bravo Company Gunfighter Charging Handle – Mod-3. I think that is a mandatory upgrade for a “go-to” carbine. I like the large latch when a scope is mounted. I use a Gear Sector two point sling with QDs on the rear of the rail, and buttstock.

The last change was to pull the A2 Bird Cage and install an Advanced Armament Brakeout 51T Compensator suppressor adapter. Since I already have an AAC M4-2000 Mod-8, I wanted the option to run it. This adapter is a reasonable cross between a muzzle brake and flash suppressor. I like the device having a baffle to help with flame cutting on the can, and doing at least a fair job of flash suppression when the can is in the range bag. Not a bad compromise.

So, that is the direction that I took for this outing. I’m not sure if I missed a mandatory, or put too much on it, but I think this will work for me. Thanks for taking time to read this. Comments always appreciated.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/Colt%20LE-6920/LE-6920%20Sized%201024/First%20Pass%20-%20Lighting%20Issues/IMG_2202EditSize1024_zps09611fcf.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/Colt%20LE-6920/LE-6920%20Sized%201024/First%20Pass%20-%20Lighting%20Issues/IMG_2215EditSize1024_zps4a9b02d4.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/Colt%20LE-6920/LE-6920%20Sized%201024/First%20Pass%20-%20Lighting%20Issues/IMG_2214ElementsEditFramedSize1024_zps76f0baa6.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/Colt%20LE-6920/LE-6920%20Sized%201024/First%20Pass%20-%20Lighting%20Issues/IMG_2218ElementsEditFramedSize1024_zpsf665a276.jpg

FortTom
5 April 2013, 18:19
Looks very nice. My latest, using an LMT upper and an LMT Lower, purchased serperately, started out pretty minimalist also. Got carried away with optics, partly by vision requirements, and partly by the "fun" (oh what the hell, attitude). Then everything got out of control, and I have a lot of money (inside) the weapon, NiB Bolt, Centurion rails (uh, not inside), PRI Gas buster bar, Wilson Combat 3G comp trigger (ARMS BIUS) Scope, Burris Surefire III red dot on top, and my minimalist weapon and budget, went right down the tubes.
But as an "old man", I figured what the heck, just take it out and have fun with it. I'll get another " minimalist " project going............some day. Good job. Enjoy.

FT

Eric
6 April 2013, 05:27
minimalist fighting carbine
I dig the carbine.
Minimalist, it is not.

ennbee15
7 April 2013, 07:49
needless to say i was surprised by "minimalist". minimalist by today's standards, good looking rifle. i like running a 1x4 for these old eyes myself. my minimalist rifle just has mbus sights and i upgraded the a2 grip to a moe grip(darn thing would beat up my hands after taking a class) and moe trigger guard, other than that....minimal. my other rifles are maximalists....

Jerry R
8 April 2013, 05:30
Thanks Guys.

I probably abused the term "minimalist". What I meant was the minimum add-on products that I need to run a carbine. I can run iron sights at 25, you might be in danger standing at 50. But a B-29 is safe at 100 ------- that's the Airplane, not the FBI Target !! [:D]

sawman556
12 April 2013, 04:01
Very nice!

caporider
12 April 2013, 06:53
Nice Colt!

IMHO it needs a white light.

alpha.kilo
15 April 2013, 13:49
+1 on having a white light mounted on any fighting carbine.

Because just like the logic for having BUIS, "You just never know....."

Jerry R
15 April 2013, 14:55
Understood ------------ WILCO

Oh, and BTW USPS brought a Wilson Single-Stage TTU and KNS Dog-Bone today.

So much for minimalist [:D]

Stickman
17 April 2013, 11:57
I think you will love the TTU, how is it doing for you so far?

Jerry R
17 April 2013, 18:00
Thanks, I hope to get to put some rounds down range this weekend. That will tell the tale. I like what I see and feel with the unit, very well made and finished. It seems to be exactly as advertised. I think it will work for me.