PDA

View Full Version : POF 415 GEN III lower...

sg330
30 June 2008, 20:42
I'm starting my first AR build and was wondering if anyone could provide instructions on how to install the ambi bolt release on the POF 415 GEN III lower? If possible, pictures would help tremendously also [:)]

Thanks

UPDATE: I finished putting together the lower weeks ago and everything works fine, except for the ambi bolt release (took it to the range and fired about 100 rounds). I'm confident I assembled the ambi bolt release correctly (the two hex screws, stock bolt catch plunger, bolt catch spring, and the extra long bolt plunger). When I press the ambi-bolt release with a empty, loaded, or no mag, it doesn't seem to depress the bolt catch low enough to release the bolt. The stock bolt catch works releasing the bolt.

If anyone could provide any insight as to what's wrong, I would greatly appreciate it. I really want to get the ambi bolt release feature to work on this lower.

sg330
26 July 2008, 03:44
bump

Stickman
26 July 2008, 11:47
Let me see what I can come up with.

parabellum
31 July 2008, 19:07
i recently made a post about this on M4C. feel free to post in that thread here (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17297) if you want to share information.

surprised that this is not limited to lowers manufactured in 2006

i had this same problem on an '06 lower i had marinating in my safe for a couple years.

i was using a standard mil-spec bolt catch assembly, not an ambi-catch like you

assuming we have the same problem, i'd send it back to POF right away....they will fix the lower for you. another transfer wont be necessary.

but we're using different parts, might be a different problem altogether.

sg330
6 August 2008, 12:31
Thanks parabellum, but my stock bolt catch releases and catches the bolt fine. It's the ambi side that doesn't release the bolt when depressed. I took a picture of the parts for the standard bolt catch and ambi-bolt release.

Stickman, when you have time, would you please confirm these are the correct parts? I appreciate the help!

Thanks

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/phodavid/pofambiboltreleaseparts.jpg

John Hwang
14 August 2008, 17:00
Everything looks correct to me.

sg330
28 September 2008, 18:40
Should I send the lower to POF to see if they can fix the problem? I'm using an RRA LPK if that makes any difference.

Stickman
28 September 2008, 18:54
I would call them, and if they can't walk you through it, send it back and get everything checked out.

longtime76
21 October 2009, 05:47
Anyone have any ideas how this was resolved? This was an old post, but I am having the same problem with my 308 POF lower. I'm using both buffers and the stock LPK spring and the ambi catch still does not work. There is not enough spring pressure on the left side/stock bolt catch either.

Thanks,
Alex

Stickman
21 October 2009, 10:28
Give POF a call and see if there is a longer spring, or longer detent available for you to increase the spring pressure and have it function properly.

longtime76
21 October 2009, 10:43
Thanks for the advice. I talked to POF and they think the problem could be that my kit had a .223 plunger/buffer instead of the .308 one (there are differences in the sizes as I was suspecting). They are sending me out a .308 specific buffer which I will try and report back the results.

-Alex

Stickman
21 October 2009, 10:55
That sounds like the issue, please let us know once it arrives if it cures the problem.

RainierEugene
27 October 2009, 06:48
Thanks for the advice. I talked to POF and they think the problem could be that my kit had a .223 plunger/buffer instead of the .308 one (there are differences in the sizes as I was suspecting). They are sending me out a .308 specific buffer which I will try and report back the results.

-Alex

Hey Alex, sorry it took me so long to reply to you, that's exactly the problem. The width of the 308 lowers are bigger, therefore a bigger plunger is needed. If with the bolt forward, you feel no pressure from the ambi release, then there's not enough spring tension because the plunger is not long enough. It's great customer service that POF is sending one to you, if you continue to have issues, please let us know.

longtime76
30 October 2009, 09:45
I meant to follow up with the details after getting the new plunger, but haven't had a chance yet.

Here's how this was resolved:

The POF .223 and .308 both come with the POF lower parts that are needed
to make the ambi safety function. However, the .308 bolt catch plunger
is actually slightly longer than the .223 one (maybe 1/4in)! Thus the
.223 one isn't long enough to engage the release when pressed.
Evidently since they are similar parts, the .223 bolt catch
plunger/detent was included as one of my POF 5 special lower parts,
instead of the .308 one.

I was suspecting this might be the case, and I talked to Chris from POF
on the phone who felt this was the issue. He sent me a .308 plunger in
the mail and now my ambi catch is functioning. I haven't tested it at
the range but its working as expected and will release the bolt when
locked back.

Something to note the ambi catch (right side button) will only *release*
the bolt when its already held back. You can't press the right side
button to catch the bolt and lock it back, this must be done with the
standard left side bolt catch button. It will release the bolt however,
once it is held back.

Here's how the setup looks from left to right on the .308 lower
receiver:

Standard AR-15 bolt catch - Standard AR-15 Bolt Catch plunger/detent -
Standard AR-15 Bolt Catch Spring - Special POF .308 Bolt Catch
Plunger/Detent (must be .308 variant, .223 is too short!) - POF Ambi
Bolt Release Button. The two threaded detents are use in place of the
roll pins to hold the standard AR-15 bolt catch and the Ambi bolt
release in place. The screw in with a hex key.

POF cust service was very good about handling this. Chris sent the plunger out the very
day I talked to him, and did it for free.

Let me know me know if anyone has any questions and I hope this
helps as a reference for the future.

Thanks again for the help on this - I appreciate it!

-Alex