PDA

View Full Version : Defense Distributed makes available their Liberator 3D printed pistol

MoxyDave
6 May 2013, 14:13
3D Printed handgun available for download after successful test firings (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/3d-printed-handgun-available-for-download-after-successful-test-firings/)

Well this muckity muck has been going on for some time now. They finally released their 3D printed handgun design to the world. The video shows Cody Wilson shooting the pistol and it doesn't blow up in his hand. Frankly I'm surprised. I imagine the barrel is highly deformed after 1 shot but it looks to be easily replaceable.

Aside from the rhetoric, I must admit that these guys are masters of new media. They know how to get attention and hold it for a while. It will be interesting to see how this plays out ...

Thoughts?

zero7one
7 May 2013, 06:30
I'm torn with this one. On one hand I'm a huge supporter of the second amendment, but on the other, these guys are doing a huge disservice to it as well.

Yes, it is a firearm. Yes, it is capable of actually firing at least one round of ammo. But this is just helping the gun grabbers to build the fire instead of putting it out.

I can only imagine how much TSA is spinning up right now.

Sent via Tapatalk

MoxyDave
7 May 2013, 12:36
I agree. It's political grandstanding more than technical achievement. If you watch any of Mr. Wilson's interviews you can clearly see his political ambitions. Nothing wrong with that, in fact more people should get fired up about politics and get involved, but I believe this will serve to undermine gun rights in the US. We are shooting ourselves in both feet, so to speak ... we'll see.

On the other hand, unless they continue to innovate this will quickly be forgotten and the public will move on to more Honey Boo Boo and such.

mlosi762
9 May 2013, 19:52
http://c.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/citizen-warrior/2013/may/9/us-government-shuts-down-3d-gun-manufacturer/

So much for that.

MoxyDave
10 May 2013, 11:50
The feds will likely stall their review for as long as possible, preventing him from publicly providing any more printed guns on the 'net. However I believe he has proved his point that gun control in this modern age is literally impossible and governmental control in general is a farce.

Watching and waiting ...

CGS
23 May 2013, 04:47
I read yesterday another person designed and printed a 3d gun and was able to fire up to 8 rounds. The Feds made the liberator's designer take down his prints and plans but there are numerous mirror websites still hosting the download files. Once something is released to the internet it is a genie in a bottle you can't put back.

As for the TSA, the ammo is still metal.